Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

enriquecaballo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2004
First I'll describe my setup. I have Verizon DSL. The DSL is connected to Airport Express via an ethernet cable, and I have an Airport card in my iBook for internet access.

I recently installed bitorrent on my computer, and my downloads are taking forever. When I checked out the information for my particular bittorrent, the webpage indicated that I'm behind a firewall.

Now I'm not sure what exactly this means or how to rectify the situation. I went into system preferences and looked under sharing. Under Firewall, it says that firewall is off. Therefore, how can bittorrent be telling me that I'm behind a firewall?

Is there something I'm missing here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
I don't think being behind a firewall has anything to do with a slow download. It's normal for me to get 5K for a download speed, while maxing out my upload.

And on my computer I have 3 firewalls, 1 in the modem, 1 in the router, and 1 via software.

I don't know weather your modem or AE has a firewall though.

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Your Airport Express has a builtin hardware firewall. I don't know if your able to turn it off as I don't know what (if any) configuration software the Airport express uses. As for bittorrent downloads being slow because of a firewall I highly doubt it. I use bittorrent without a firewall and depending on what I'm downloading I can get anywhere from 2k/s to 150k/s it's never the same. So my advice is don't worry about it and just keep downloading the nice thing about bittorrent is you can always restart the download right where you left off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.