Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

X1Lightning

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
I've been doing web work on the side for awhile without contracts, and i have been burned a few times by clients. So i want to start using contracts for all jobs, but I'm not sure what all goes into one.

anyone know of a good template to start from?

pelsar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
israel
contracts....

I've been doing web work on the side for awhile without contracts, and i have been burned a few times by clients. So i want to start using contracts for all jobs, but I'm not sure what all goes into one.

anyone know of a good template to start from?

there is no standard...you'll discover that everyone defines and writes up the site definition differently..which makes it a nightmare for the client to compare. (an experienced client will make a table of what they want and ask you for prices "per unit".)

some "aspects to include of not". These can be a bullet list on your contract.

CMS (yes/no), if yes how many templates?
who puts in the content
images (included? how many?)
if no CMS, how many pages?
interactivity? where, limitations (think Database system vs a simple contact form)
new tickers?
flash animations (is it like walt disney or a banner of 15seconds?).

include a paragraph of what your using...php, html, javascript etc...so that after they sign they cant demand something that you don't now how to do

most important...get a down payment....that reduces the "burn rate" incredibly

Dal123

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
England
Contracts in a different area.

I'm glad someone has asked this question. I have copies of some good contracts indoors (In the subject of piling concrete foundations). I'm trying to change them to my construction business.
Like Pelsar has mentioned, a downpayment of 20% is mentioned up to 80% depending on their credit check. There are details of over-rates where you get up to a certain amount of work done, if they start changing their minds etc or messing you around you are covered for more work at a specified hourly rate.

My question is, what actually makes the contract. As mentioned I've got a first draft which is sent out to the customer. But surely the customer has to sign it and date it. And must you both have a copy?:)

pelsar

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2008
israel
My question is, what actually makes the contract. As mentioned I've got a first draft which is sent out to the customer. But surely the customer has to sign it and date it. And must you both have a copy?:)

the contract is basically an agreement...the signing by the client is his/her commitment to the work. Most of us, when we sign something, we commit ourselves to the conditions and payment....and the client either faxes back the signed sheet (if sent by fax) or signs two copies.

i'm not a lawyer and have been burned in the past, but the signed agreement and down payment reduces the amount of being burned.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.