Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powersurge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I just picked up a Mini display port to DVI adapter for my Macbook Pro so that I could hook it up to my 32 inch 1080p tv that I use as my main desktop monitor. It works just great in OSX (though for some odd reason I have to put the laptop to sleep then plug it in for it to work correctly. Can't be on or off otherwise I don't get the full picture not sure why) but in bootcamp it instantly causes a blue screen. If I plug it in then reboot to windows I get a blue screen even before its loaded windows all the way. I assume this is a driver issue but I'm using the latest boot camp drivers. Should I swap them out for Nvidia's? (195.62 it looks like is the latest)

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I just picked up a Mini display port to DVI adapter for my Macbook Pro so that I could hook it up to my 32 inch 1080p tv that I use as my main desktop monitor. It works just great in OSX (though for some odd reason I have to put the laptop to sleep then plug it in for it to work correctly. Can't be on or off otherwise I don't get the full picture not sure why) but in bootcamp it instantly causes a blue screen. If I plug it in then reboot to windows I get a blue screen even before its loaded windows all the way. I assume this is a driver issue but I'm using the latest boot camp drivers. Should I swap them out for Nvidia's? (195.62 it looks like is the latest)

What version of Windows?

(Also, about your OS X/sleeping problem, instead of sleeping, open up System Preferences > Displays, that will let you select the proper resolutions and such, and also let you put a Displays icon in the menu bar.)

powersurge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Windows Vista 32bit until apple adds official support for Windows 7 (have a copy ready to go!).

As for the OSX issue the display settings are correct and I have the display icon turned on but I still have the problem of my screen thinking its getting a much lower resolution than it should be getting even with it set to 1920x1080/60 unless I put it to sleep then plug in the cord (in which case I get the correct res looks great).

edit: Replacing the apple provided driver with Nvidia's Generic 9M series driver seems to have stopped the BSOD when plugging in an external monitor while in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.