PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my G5?

dcpmark
Dec 31, 2009, 10:48 PM
I just replaced my Dual 2.0ghz PowerPC G5 with a 2008 3.2 octo Mac Pro. What should I do with the G5? They seem to fetch $400-$700 used, but it seems awfully heavy to Ebay it. Craigslist? Turn it into something else?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ljohnson72
Dec 31, 2009, 11:37 PM
Craigslist. I got $1500 for my Powermac Quad G5 a few years back.

benwmsonline
Jan 1, 2010, 10:50 AM
I used to have two G5's- I sold one dual-core 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM, on eBay for 400 - at the time that was about $700.

I kept my Quad 2.5GHz, 8.5GB RAM G5, and now use it as a media server in my house. Although, I did have a look how much they'd pull on eBay and it was in the region of 600, around $1200. :)

velocityg4
Jan 1, 2010, 10:55 AM
Craigslist should come pretty close to eBay prices especially if you factor in the listing fees, Paypal fees and drop in value for shipping. However, with Craigslist you need to be patient as you will get a lot of offers way below value until you finally get a solid buyer. As a word to the weary with Craigslist you should accept cash only local pickup only.

I also would not bother listing your e-mail address. The only serious offers I ever got on Craigslist were by phone almost all e-mails are from scammers the rest are from people whom never respond to reply's or offer ridiculously low amounts.

disconap
Jan 1, 2010, 05:25 PM
If you have need of one, keep it as a server. I currently have a Sawtooth as my office server, will upgrade that with my G5 when I eventually switch to an Intel desktop of some sort. Power consumption will increase, of course, but not by too much if it's mostly hosting files and not running many processes...

Otherwise, yeah, Craigslist. I've bought and sold a lot of older hardware through there. I wouldn't sell it to a reseller, as you'll get maybe 1/3 of what it's worth.

UltraNEO*
Jan 1, 2010, 05:48 PM
I sold mine via ebay recently after fixing a few issues,
made of disgusting 400% profit!!

otis123
Jan 1, 2010, 06:49 PM
hook it up to your TV and use it as a Home theater PC

dcpmark
Jan 2, 2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all input guys! Lots of good ideas....now I just have to figure out which one is for me.

disconap
Jan 2, 2010, 08:14 PM
On the home theater PC comment--a good idea, but really selling it and using the money to buy a Mac Mini would probably be more financially beneficial, as the power consumption would start to cost you more in the long run. In the short term, though, excellent suggestion, especially if you've never had a HTPC and want to try it out!

dcpmark
Jan 2, 2010, 11:18 PM
Wow! There are a TON of G5s for sale on Craigslist Los Angeles. I think I'll try eBay.