Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessimports

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
I used the software MKVtools to delete an audio track successfully from a MKV file that has two audio sources. The software is very simple to use, however, it does a really bad job when it comes down to it. The audio isn’t exactly deleted off the original file, instead it reads the MKV file, sees that it has 1 video file and 2 audio tracks and recreates it via a new MKV file minus the unwanted track.

Normally this wouldn’t bother me except its doing a really crap job at keeping the desired audio track in pristine condition.

Could you kindly please list and / or link other software that would do what I am looking for.

Thank you in advance.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Just a suggestion, don't know if it works.

You should have the old quicktime player.

Open the .MKV with quicktime player 7.

Go to the menu, the word left from help. (probably something like "windows" in english). Then it's the forth word, something like "movie characteristics".

OR

press "command-j"

There you see the video track, and the audio tracks. Delete the tracks you want.

Now I don't know what you should do. You probably need to export it as a new movie, resulting in a big file. Or you could just save it.

If you try to make the file smaller by deleting the audio track, this method isn't really succesfull.

btw why do you really want to delete that audiotrack?

wirelessimports

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2005
Thanks, but QT 7 just won’t do it. It doesn’t give an option to delete even though its there.

I have a samsung blu-ray player (BD-P4600) and it has the option to plug in a USB flash drive and play MKV movies. I can change the audio track from English to whatever else is on the other audio track but for some unexplainable reason whenever a MKV has more than one audio track it slows the frame rate and really makes the picture look choppy.

With other MKV files that only have one audio track it runs perfectly smooth as if it was running naturally off a blu ray disc.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I'm afraid I can't help you then. I don't know how to solve this. You could try a windows program, see if it does a proper job, or export the movie again with VLC player. I believe VLC can export as .mkv.

p.s. there's indeed no option to delete the audio track, just press the backspace button.

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
I have actually been trying to do this with a couple of my movies (especially since some of them start on the non-english audio track by default, so I have to change it every time I want to watch them). Any tips?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Since MKV can be a wrapper for several formats, you never mentioned what the source was for the MKV. If it is 1080 24fps, then you might want to try something like TSmuxer. It does a good job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.