PDA

View Full Version : "Pro" version of Final Cut Pro?

Chris7
Jan 1, 2010, 09:18 AM
I talked to a former professional video editor yesterday evening who said that he had just recently been certified in "Final Cut Pro HD." He said this program costs between $3,000 and $4,000 and is the current "professional" version of Final Cut Pro. He said that the versions of Final Cut Pro included in FCS2/FCS3 are different "prosumer" versions.

I have never heard of a current version of FCP other than FCP7. The only Final Cut Pro HD I know of is the is the version between FCP4 and FCP5 -- FCP4.5 which was released in 2005 and discontinued with fCP5.

Any idea what this person may be referring to?

MisterMe
Jan 1, 2010, 10:01 AM
I talked to a former professional video editor yesterday evening who said that he had just recently been certified in "Final Cut Pro HD." He said this program costs between $3,000 and $4,000 and is the current "professional" version of Final Cut Pro. ...Final Cut Studio (http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/) which includes Final Cut Pro 7, Motion 4, Soundtrack Pro 3, Color 1.5, Compressor 3.5, and DVD Studio Pro 4 has a retail price of $999. If you want to add Final Cut Server 1.5, then you will have to fork over an additional $999.

arjen92
Jan 1, 2010, 10:18 AM
MisterMe is probably right. There is no special other version of Final Cut Pro. Only a version (and this information is probably useless as I don't really understand what Final Cut Server does) which is for when you're editing with others on different mac's. But they do the same.

KeithPratt
Jan 1, 2010, 11:53 AM
Did this man also tell you of the time he stumbled upon the secret military base where they were conducting tests on aliens?

xStep
Jan 1, 2010, 12:41 PM
Apple does have certifications programs for their Pro tools. Here are two links I dug up; 'Pro Training' (http://www.apple.com/software/pro/training/enduser.html), 'Pro Applications Level One and Level Two Certifications' (http://training.apple.com/certification/proapps).

Chris7
Jan 1, 2010, 05:06 PM
Did this man also tell you of the time he stumbled upon the secret military base where they were conducting tests on aliens?
Come to think of it, yes. But not until later. I wish he would have told me earlier so I could have just smiled an nodded.:)
Apple does have certifications programs for their Pro tools...
Humm. I don't know what certification he was talking about, unless he forgot to tell me that he got his recent certification in 2005-2006, before FCP HD was upgraded.
...If you want to add Final Cut Server 1.5, then you will have to fork over an additional $999.
...There is no special other version of Final Cut Pro. Only a version (and this information is probably useless as I don't really understand what Final Cut Server does) which is for when you're editing with others on different mac's. But they do the same.
I donno. I'd like to think he wasn't totally full of… Maybe he had experience with Final Cut Server, and confused it with FCP HD?

MisterMe
Jan 1, 2010, 07:15 PM
... Maybe he had experience with Final Cut Server, and confused it with FCP HD?Not to put too fine a point on it, but Final Cut Server combined with Final Cut Studio total $1998, a full $1000 less than your friend's mythical über professional version Final Cut Pro. He claims to have been certified in FCP2/3. However, Final Cut Pro HD was introduced as Final Cut Pro HD 4.5 and was available as a free upgrade for users of Final Cut Pro 4.0. The bottom line is that too many of your friend's fact are wrong for him to be taken seriously.

jla930
Jan 2, 2010, 01:20 PM
I've been recently certified in Final Cut Express 12, and iMovie 22. I'm working on my certification in iDVD 38. All three work wonderfully in Apple's OS 48 operating system, nicknamed "Tibetan Yak".

MisterMe
Jan 2, 2010, 04:45 PM
I've been recently certified in Final Cut Express 12, and iMovie 22. I'm working on my certification in iDVD 38. All three work wonderfully in Apple's OS 48 operating system, nicknamed "Tibetan Yak".Musk Ox is OS X 10.48. Tibetan Yak was OS X 10.47. I recommend that you save your money on certification in iDVD 38 because iBlu-ray 39 is about to be released. Bundled with iMovie 39, it will allow you to edit and burn 24 hours of 10x HD video on a single Blu-ray disc. This increased functionality is enabled by Apple's new Wishful Thinking graphics engine.