PDA

View Full Version : Who still uses PowerMac G5?

thewireman
Jan 1, 2010, 09:09 PM
Just wondering how many of you out there still uses Powermac G5s..

Is there some kind of website where I can find nice add ons? Like bluetooth and stuff like that? PCI cards?

What the hottest add on for them?

Thanks!

Mike

gr8tfly
Jan 1, 2010, 09:20 PM
G5? I'm still running a G3 Jaguar system as my mail/web server and router! LOL It's been going 24/7 for 6+ years. My upgrade for it is a 933MHz G4 with Leopard Server, but it's still sitting idle waiting for me to get motivated to make the switch :)

Anyway, about the only extra I purchased for the B&W G3 was a 2nd ethernet card. The "new" G4 (QuickSilver) has a 2nd ethernet card (natively supported) and a USB 2.0 card. If I remember correctly, I got them from NewEgg.

(Our personal machines are a MBA, a 17" ubMBP, and a couple of iPhones, so it might seem odd we have such old machines as our server. But, they are plenty powerful enough to run headless, and handle the few users I have.)

thewireman
Jan 1, 2010, 09:23 PM
Wow, Nice... Yeah I just bought the powermac on craigslist for $200 bucks ( I thought it was a good deal?) and just like to get some cool stuff for it so.

SkyBell
Jan 1, 2010, 09:26 PM
Wow, Nice... Yeah I just bought the powermac on craigslist for $200 bucks ( I thought it was a good deal?) and just like to get some cool stuff for it so.

If that's the one in your sig, that is an absolutely amazing deal. :eek:

Macdctr
Jan 1, 2010, 09:28 PM

That's a great price:) I thought I got mine for a good price but you got me beat :D

I still use my PowerMac G5 but is mainly serves as my data backup for all of my laptop computers. It's regulated to spare bedroom computer so when I have guests they have a computer to check their email and such...

Seeing how PMG5 has PCI-X unless you are one of the lucky ones who has the newer G5's with PCI-express then you are limited with what you can do...

techfreak85
Jan 1, 2010, 09:29 PM
We use G5s for our school recording studio.

thewireman
Jan 1, 2010, 09:36 PM
That's a great price:) I thought I got mine for a good price but you got me beat :D

I still use my PowerMac G5 but is mainly serves as my data backup for all of my laptop computers. It's regulated to spare bedroom computer so when I have guests they have a computer to check their email and such...

Seeing how PMG5 has PCI-X unless you are one of the lucky ones who has the newer G5's with PCI-express then you are limited with what you can do...

I believe its PCI-X... But how can you find out what year is it?

thewireman
Jan 1, 2010, 09:39 PM
If that's the one in your sig, that is an absolutely amazing deal. :eek:

Yes, it is. The original owner was filthy rich so she must've didn't care how much she gets or just plain don't know much about it? She, of course, bought a new 27" iMac.

Macdctr
Jan 1, 2010, 09:47 PM
I believe its PCI-X... But how can you find out what year is it?

You can go here to check...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

Possibly PCI-X which means that it's just like mine...:D Depends on the year your Powermac was made.....anything past JUN2004, my guess is that you might have a PCI-express. If this is the case then you have more upgrade options than me. Manufacturing date will be 2005 or later if it has PCI-express.

thewireman
Jan 1, 2010, 11:23 PM
You can go here to check...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/index-powermac-g5.html

Possibly PCI-X which means that it's just like mine...:D Depends on the year your Powermac was made.....anything past JUN2004, my guess is that you might have a PCI-express. If this is the case then you have more upgrade options than me. Manufacturing date will be 2005 or later if it has PCI-express.

Yes, its PCI-X. Oh well. Where can I find a bluetooth kit for powermac? Or is it cheaper to get the USB bluetooth? I like to get the Magic Mouse.

DavieBoy
Jan 2, 2010, 12:03 AM
Wait, I thought PCI-X was PCI Express. What is the difference?

I have a Dual 2.0 G5 that I have running Leopard server mainly for file storage. I went and bought a usb 2.0 PCI card and it would not fit. I was going to go and buy a PCI Express card in the morning, now you mean to tell me that won't work?

Got mine for 250 with a 20" ACD. They were a little scratched up though. I up'd the ram to 3 gigs from 1 and dropped a 1 TB HD into the extra slot.

DavieBoy
Jan 2, 2010, 12:08 AM
Nevermind, I just wiki'd it. I really want a usb PCI-X card so I can plug all my external drives into my G5 leaving the back of my i7 iMac looking pretty.

mac88
Jan 2, 2010, 12:31 AM
I still use mine. I bought it off of eBay and use it primarily as an iTunes/movie/tv show streamer. I edit some home movie video on it from time to time. I find it still holds up and works quite well. Oh yeah, congrats on the purchase and enjoy your machine!

OceanView
Jan 2, 2010, 12:57 AM
I recently got a G4 Mini which I use as a basic internet/e-mail system.
Still works great.

ncc1701d
Jan 2, 2010, 01:38 AM
You might be able to contact the guys at owc with the same question. I've found them very helpful in the past. I got a g5 for my kids to play around on for a few hundred bucks and needed wifi and ram upgrades that the helped out a lot with. http://www.macsales.com/

thebeave
Jan 2, 2010, 02:06 AM
I still Use My G5 from early 2005 w/ Leopard. Mostly run CS2 and the entire iLife 09 Suite. What bogs it the most is runing Bloomberg Anywhere on it, which I do most nights to get real time quotes gobally.Im maxed out on Ram at 4GB....Come to think of it, I paid $2500 for this machine five and a half years ago...here are the specs at the time - Dual 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, 8x SuperDrive - $2499. That makes today's low end Mac Pro a relative bargain! I'm going to start a new thread telling everyone to stop complaining....

Macdctr
Jan 2, 2010, 07:03 AM
I'm going to start a new thread telling everyone to stop complaining....

:D

thewireman
Jan 2, 2010, 08:38 AM
Where can I find a bluetooth kit for powermac? Or is it cheaper to get the USB bluetooth? I like to get the Magic Mouse.

Anyone?

roadbloc
Jan 2, 2010, 08:41 AM
Anyone?

Me. Not personally, I have a nice shiny white late 2008 MacBook, but at the studio's I work at we still use G5's quite a lot.

Hardware is usually bought off amazon.

Macdctr
Jan 2, 2010, 08:45 AM
Anyone?

wireman, It's probably cheaper just to get the USB bluetooth nub and put it on your keyboard. Then your Mac Pro will have bluetooth. That's what I did. If you want the bluetooth card for the Mac Pro you might have luck on ebay for that item:apple:

Eric S.
Jan 2, 2010, 10:46 AM
Come to think of it, I paid $2500 for this machine five and a half years ago...here are the specs at the time - Dual 2.0GHz, 512MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 Ultra, 8x SuperDrive - $2499. That makes today's low end Mac Pro a relative bargain! I'm going to start a new thread telling everyone to stop complaining....

The original 128KB Mac with 8MHz 68000 and a single 3.5" floppy drive also cost $2499, so that makes your machine a fantastic bargain by comparison. It's no surprise that technology prices decrease over time as capability increases. The complaint is that Apple does not offer any lower-cost, lower-capability expandable systems when they certainly could.

Transporteur
Jan 2, 2010, 11:15 AM
I had the D-Link DBT-122 bluetooth stick on my PowerMac G5. Worked fine with Tiger and the Apple bluetooth keyboard.
I'm not sure though, if that particular stick works with the new Magic Mouse.
But the stick is really cheap, hence you might wanna give it a try. :)

rickvanr
Jan 2, 2010, 12:14 PM
The G5s are awesome! Bonus getting an air cooled model, I've been reading a lot lately that the G5s (2.5 x 2, 2.7 x 2, and 2.5x2 x 2) that were liquid cool all seem to leak (like mine).

PCI-X is closer to PCI then PCIe. PCI cards are backward compatible with PCI-X, where PCIe isn't. It's completely different.

As for upgrades, go all the way to 8GB RAM, best single upgrade I ever made. Machine absolutely flew. You seem to have a pretty solid graphics card in there too, I had the 6800 Ultra, and it could handle everything I threw at it.

For wireless, I remember ordering bluetooth as a BTO option, so I'm not too sure if that's an upgrade you can just buy, but if a dongle works, that's great. Maybe grab a PCI USB card, so you have lots of ports, I think it's the NEC chipset you need to get, but I'd google that. I went threw 3 different cards before I found one that worked (like this one (http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3331701&CatId=511)). Airport was something I added myself, and was simple. Just bought an Airport Express Card. Make sure to have an antenna though, the G5 came with one, but since you got yours used, it may not have been included. It was a small "T" shaped gizmo that plugged in the back. You might be able to just get a standard antenna though, I'm not sure if the plug is a standard wireless plug, anyone know? The reception was pretty bad without it.

Throw a fast HD in there too if you can afford it, I had a WD black drive and it seemed pretty peppy. I don't know how a SSD would work in one, but pricewise it's probably not worth it.

eyefoniac
Jan 2, 2010, 12:15 PM
Aye, here I do!

simplymuzik3
Jan 2, 2010, 12:21 PM
For the question about USB bluetooth devices, I think you need one with a "Broadcom" chip. Or that might have been for wifi or USB. I sold my G5 years ago, so I honestly cannot remember. I just know that "Broadcom" chips work with Mac without any drivers, just plug and play!

InfoSecmgr
Jan 2, 2010, 12:37 PM
I recently got a G4 Mini which I use as a basic internet/e-mail system.
Still works great.

I use a 1.42GHz G4 Mini as a time machine backup server and for media streaming. I added 2x 1TB hard drives (external USB) and it works fantastically, so these old machines really do have lots of life left in them. I really like the Mini's as severs because of the low power draw, easier on the wallet.

thewireman
Jan 2, 2010, 12:39 PM
WOW! Thanks guys. Everything helped me out. I LOVE this mean sucker! Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade the harddrive, since I have tons of music.

robotartfashion
Jan 2, 2010, 02:21 PM
I just ordered my 6th Mac! It's a Powermac G4 Quiksilver from 2002, 867 mhz w/1 gig of ram to become my home server. I had been using my 2008 8 Core Mac Pro for this but I figured this would cut down on the power usage a bit and it would free all my system resources on the Mac Pro as well.

Also, I bought a sonnet 4 port internal sata card, a dual drive caddy for one of the bottom bays, and a usb 2.0 card

I can't believe nobody seems to have mentioned it (although maybe I missed it) but try OWC for upgrades.

www.macsales.com

I always just hit the "memory upgrade" in the top menu bar, and then choose the G5 in your case and it will show you all the products they offer for updating/upgrading it.

Enjoy your new toy!

Macdctr
Jan 2, 2010, 03:44 PM
WOW! Thanks guys. Everything helped me out. I LOVE this mean sucker! Yeah, I'm planning to upgrade the harddrive, since I have tons of music.

Get yourself a 2Tb drive. They are much more reliable than the 1.5's from what I have been told...:)

disconap
Jan 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
My G5 is still my main machine. There are really only three reliable upgrade places for my money (there are, of course, hundreds in existence):

OWC/Macsales: If you're lazy and don't want to do research, OWC is the place to buy anything for older/legacy macs. All their stuff is guaranteed to be compatible, but the price tag will be higher than elsewhere. I sometimes use them as a resource for compatibility, but the last thing I bought from them was a buggy dual G4 upgrade that they tested and said was fine, even though it wasn't (though the people were very nice and as helpful as they could have been). Oh, and the price dropped $40 about two days after I bought it, but that was just bad luck. www.macsales.com

Ramseeker--for ram there's no better site I've found; they have drop down menus to choose your model/RAM type, then they list about 10 or so sellers and their size/prices. Be careful when rushing through, though, as sometimes the seller's price will have changed; a friend of mine overpaid for RAM because he didn't double check until after he'd already purchased. www.ramseeker.com

NewEgg--everyone should know NE by now. I've been buying from them for god knows how long, probably about a decade. Best costumer service EVER, great deals, etc. but you really need to do research for Mac compatibility, especially with older machines. www.newegg.com

As for a mailing list or newsgroup, posting here is always good, and there is a G5 mailing list at lowendmac.com, but I'm not on it so I can't attest to how good it is...

disconap
Jan 2, 2010, 08:28 PM
I use a 1.42GHz G4 Mini as a time machine backup server and for media streaming. I added 2x 1TB hard drives (external USB) and it works fantastically, so these old machines really do have lots of life left in them. I really like the Mini's as severs because of the low power draw, easier on the wallet.

Seconded, though the earlier G4s had PSUs in the 130-165W range, so they're really not all that bad (not like my G5 with it's 650W psu!)...

disconap
Jan 2, 2010, 08:32 PM
Nevermind, I just wiki'd it. I really want a usb PCI-X card so I can plug all my external drives into my G5 leaving the back of my i7 iMac looking pretty.

Have to run so can't read the rest of the thread, apologies if this has already been answered--with PPC macs, the PCI USB2.0 cards are all about chipset, so some will work and some won't. You may also want to search the manufacturer site and the interwebs for an OSX (or opensource multiplatform) driver, as that might be the only problem. I bought a new PCI USB2.0 card a few years ago from a bargain bin for $6, it said Windows only, but worked immediately when installed in my G4...

Also note that there's only really one slot that uses PCI-X to it's fullest, the others are more like slightly better PCI (the top slot will be 133mHz, I believe the other two are 66mHz or possibly even 33).

fun173
Jan 2, 2010, 08:48 PM
Great deal!, I have a dual core 2.3 Ghz G5 i bought for video editing and some audio work. I love the thing

thewireman
Jan 3, 2010, 12:47 PM
My G5 is still my main machine. There are really only three reliable upgrade places for my money (there are, of course, hundreds in existence):

OWC/Macsales: If you're lazy and don't want to do research, OWC is the place to buy anything for older/legacy macs. All their stuff is guaranteed to be compatible, but the price tag will be higher than elsewhere. I sometimes use them as a resource for compatibility, but the last thing I bought from them was a buggy dual G4 upgrade that they tested and said was fine, even though it wasn't (though the people were very nice and as helpful as they could have been). Oh, and the price dropped $40 about two days after I bought it, but that was just bad luck. www.macsales.com

Ramseeker--for ram there's no better site I've found; they have drop down menus to choose your model/RAM type, then they list about 10 or so sellers and their size/prices. Be careful when rushing through, though, as sometimes the seller's price will have changed; a friend of mine overpaid for RAM because he didn't double check until after he'd already purchased. www.ramseeker.com

NewEgg--everyone should know NE by now. I've been buying from them for god knows how long, probably about a decade. Best costumer service EVER, great deals, etc. but you really need to do research for Mac compatibility, especially with older machines. www.newegg.com

As for a mailing list or newsgroup, posting here is always good, and there is a G5 mailing list at lowendmac.com, but I'm not on it so I can't attest to how good it is...

This is great. I have been using Newegg for years and of course they are great. I really love to use Magic Mouse, so I hope it works when I get the USB bluetooth. Also, like to get some USB PCI Slot.

G5Unit
Jan 3, 2010, 12:59 PM
I still use a Single 1.8Ghz PowerMac G5 as my main computer, which I plan to turn to a file server one I get a new MacBook Pro.

The file server option seems to be the most popular on here, maybe you could get a RAID PCIx card for it and modify it to hold like 4 drives and put it in RAID10?

redcupr
Jan 6, 2010, 10:40 AM
I've also got a single 1.8 PowerMac G5. It's been running 24/7 since January of 2004 (except for the occasional power failure). Upgraded the RAM the from 1GB to 3GB a couple years ago, made a huge difference. I'm thinking I might just max out the RAM to 8GB and see what it does.

It's my main computer when I'm upstairs in my office, my new MBP is downstairs. I try not to use the MBP too much because it makes the G5 look slow by comparison. Still the G5 is a very acceptable 6 year old machine, rarely is there anything I do on it that makes it slow down to the point of frustration.

I have the D-Link Bluetooth nub and it has worked with everything I've tried to connect it to, and it's dirt cheap.

DavieBoy
Jan 7, 2010, 11:32 AM
Have to run so can't read the rest of the thread, apologies if this has already been answered--with PPC macs, the PCI USB2.0 cards are all about chipset, so some will work and some won't. You may also want to search the manufacturer site and the interwebs for an OSX (or opensource multiplatform) driver, as that might be the only problem. I bought a new PCI USB2.0 card a few years ago from a bargain bin for $6, it said Windows only, but worked immediately when installed in my G4...

Also note that there's only really one slot that uses PCI-X to it's fullest, the others are more like slightly better PCI (the top slot will be 133mHz, I believe the other two are 66mHz or possibly even 33).

Im sorry I am confused again. My G5 only has PCI-X cards (or so I think). I need to find a PCI-X card to put in it. PCI-X is different from both PCI & PCI-Express. Someone please tell me if I am right about this.

Also, it is very hard to find a PCI-X usb card and if I can find one it will be expensive, right?

Thanks

disconap
Jan 7, 2010, 11:37 AM
PCI-X is a sped up version of PCI. It is backwards compatible with PCI. PCIexpress is a whole separate thing. PCI cards will work in PCI-X slots (which, in the G5, there was only one full one anyway, usually the top slot/slot 4, running at 133mHz; the other two ran at 100mHz or less).

It's confusing and stupid the way they named them, but here's a quick explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

DavieBoy
Jan 7, 2010, 11:52 AM
PCI-X is a sped up version of PCI. It is backwards compatible with PCI. PCIexpress is a whole separate thing. PCI cards will work in PCI-X slots (which, in the G5, there was only one full one anyway, usually the top slot/slot 4).

It's confusing and stupid the way they named them, but here's a quick explanation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X

Wow, thanks for getting back to me so quick, how did you do that.

I bought a PCI card and it did not seem to fit into my DP 2.0. Do you know of any reason why. I haven't returned it yet I am going to run to my car and try to pop it into the DP 2.0 in my office.

DavieBoy
Jan 7, 2010, 12:01 PM
Alright, I didn't want to go out to my car because it is cold. I found a random PCI card and it does fit into the PCI-X slot but it does not reach the back of the unit. You can not screw in the plate if you know what I mean. I actually had to bend the faceplate to make it or it would have been blocked by the motherboard.

Thanks

disconap
Jan 7, 2010, 12:12 PM
Being able to fit something doesn't necessarily mean that it actually fits. You should figure out which machine you have first. Look up the specifics in System Profile and compare them to the profiles here:

www.lowendmac.com

That's the safest way to know for sure. Good luck!

quantum003
Jan 7, 2010, 03:48 PM
I do a lot of Apple repairs and use a 1.8Ghz Dual Core G5 to "talk" to PowerPC laptops and desktops. It looks purty right next to my Intel Mac Pro. :)

TonyK
Jan 7, 2010, 04:13 PM
Dual core 2.3 PPC G5. Works great though my primary system is a early 2008 Mac Pro 2x2.8.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 7, 2010, 11:03 PM
I use both my dual-core G5 and I'm even using my G4 Powerbook right now to surf the forums :)

Dr.Pants
Jan 7, 2010, 11:31 PM
I am using the machine in the signature with Final Cut Studio. While I intend to upgrade, it is certainly a worthwhile machine for what I do, since I am not making money with it. :D However, OpenFirmware is quite dead, so expansion cards can be a PITA sometimes. Sometimes the manufacturers don't even provide drivers, even if the card is OpenFirmware compliant (see also, Blackmagic) :(

ClivePwned
Jan 8, 2010, 01:09 AM
I still use a late 2005 G5 Quad as my music machine at work. 4 years later with some new HDD's and maxed out RAM (which really seems to do nothing ;) ) and it's going fine for the most part.

Would love a new Mac Pro, though (just bought an 09 quad for home and loving it)

TonyK
Jan 8, 2010, 04:19 AM
You need to read through this rather long thread then if you own an 2009 Mac Pro.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=795966

Short version is any audio ran on a 2009 Mac Pro causes substantial CPU temp. increase. smcFanControl helps to reduce the heat build-up. Tested, found issue and used smcFanControl on my wife's 2009 1x2.93 Mac Pro.

I still use a late 2005 G5 Quad as my music machine at work. 4 years later with some new HDD's and maxed out RAM (which really seems to do nothing ;) ) and it's going fine for the most part.

Would love a new Mac Pro, though (just bought an 09 quad for home and loving it)

ClivePwned
Jan 9, 2010, 06:23 AM
You need to read through this rather long thread then if you own an 2009 Mac Pro.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=795966

Short version is any audio ran on a 2009 Mac Pro causes substantial CPU temp. increase. smcFanControl helps to reduce the heat build-up. Tested, found issue and used smcFanControl on my wife's 2009 1x2.93 Mac Pro.

Yeah following that. Even though I do music for my day job, I mainly use the mac at home for boot camp games and video editing.

Funnily enough the only time I hear the g5 Quad fans are after a restart after the occasional crash. Then they are deafening.

One thing about the g5- It never felt all that snappy compared to my old 20" 2GHz Intel iMac (which I got a month after the g5) in doing many tasks, despite the extra horsepower and ram. It also seems less stable for universal binaries than PPC only software. Soundtrack Pro 2 runs pretty poorly and lacking in stability on the G5.

TonyK
Jan 9, 2010, 09:38 AM
Never had any problem with my G5. It was my wife's system that I purchased from her (she needed $$$ for add HD on the Mac Pro 2008 I now have). I ran PPC and UB without issues.

When my b'day came up last year she offered me a Mac Mini or a 24" iMac. Neither thrilled me and while I kept researching one over the other, Apple released Mac Pro 2009. Her visual issues require GREAT graphics so she got the 2009, I was given the 2008 and a slew of upgrades (2 drives and RAM) and we are both happy.

Yeah following that. Even though I do music for my day job, I mainly use the mac at home for boot camp games and video editing.

Funnily enough the only time I hear the g5 Quad fans are after a restart after the occasional crash. Then they are deafening.

One thing about the g5- It never felt all that snappy compared to my old 20" 2GHz Intel iMac (which I got a month after the g5) in doing many tasks, despite the extra horsepower and ram. It also seems less stable for universal binaries than PPC only software. Soundtrack Pro 2 runs pretty poorly and lacking in stability on the G5.

hugodrax
Jan 9, 2010, 03:13 PM
I know a place that has a Blue G3 tower running OS 8 or 9 and something calle d sorenson audio?

They use it for the audio analog in and the you can go to the website and listen to the audio.

They have been using it for ever since they bought the G3 for this purpose.

afrowq
Jan 9, 2010, 03:24 PM
I have been using my dual 2.0 G5 Powermac every day since I bought it in September of 2005. I use it for video editing and DVD authoring, and it has yet to give me a single problem.

I would love to upgrade to a Mac Pro, but they're so stupid expensive that I can't justify it until my G5 starts to falter (or until I can't put any more software on it due to the non-Intel chip, which is starting to become the issue).

thewireman
Jan 9, 2010, 03:41 PM
I have been using my dual 2.0 G5 Powermac every day since I bought it in September of 2005. I use it for video editing and DVD authoring, and it has yet to give me a single problem.

I would love to upgrade to a Mac Pro, but they're so stupid expensive that I can't justify it until my G5 starts to falter (or until I can't put any more software on it due to the non-Intel chip, which is starting to become the issue).

Thats good to hear... I would love to get the new Mac Pros, but I like to wait what Apple is willing to bring the new 2010 Mac Pros.....

disconap
Jan 9, 2010, 06:28 PM
I know a place that has a Blue G3 tower running OS 8 or 9 and something calle d sorenson audio?

They use it for the audio analog in and the you can go to the website and listen to the audio.

They have been using it for ever since they bought the G3 for this purpose.

I know a couple of pro studios that still use G3 b/ws, and several that still use G4s. Audio is far less demanding than video; if you can record a clean 24 bit or higher signal, then the only difference in a newer machine is how fast things work or, if you need a newer OS for your software, then that. We still use a modded Sawtooth for all our audio work and it works just fine; we record and do analog mixing in OS9 (due to our recording hardware not having an OSX driver) and do digital mixing and mastering in OSX.

macgeek18
Jan 11, 2010, 01:30 AM
Double Post.

thewireman
Jan 11, 2010, 09:20 AM
Does anybody here know if I could use PCI USB 3.0 slot in my PowerMac? Would it work? Thanks again.

Dr.Pants
Jan 11, 2010, 11:32 AM
Does anybody here know if I could use PCI USB 3.0 slot in my PowerMac? Would it work? Thanks again.

It'd probably be hit and miss, and mainly if the controller played with OpenFirmware. Sonnet might make one, but I doubt it.

Eric S.
Jan 11, 2010, 12:53 PM

There are several companies bringing out PCI Express cards for USB 3.0, but the challenge will be finding one with a driver for OS X. There was some hope for Buffalo Technology's card, but now apparently not:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10405534-263.html

philipt42
Jan 23, 2010, 10:32 PM
Just ordered a G5 on ebay the other day, with an older 20" cinema display. I'm happy to see people still use them as daily computers, which is what I plan to do.

macgeek18
Jan 23, 2010, 11:16 PM
I just got a Dual 1.8Ghz with 1.5GB DDR ram,and a 500GB HD in it,it's a sweet computer and quickly became my main system.I now have put a 1TB drive in it for Time Machine and have 4GB of DDR Samsung Performance Ram coming from OWC in the next couple days.

hoya87eagle91
Jan 24, 2010, 01:04 AM
My dual 2.0 is still going strong after nearly 5 years. Runs PS2 w/ sizable files at acceptabe speeds. Also like the old copy i have of iMovie HD.

Have to give it up to another family member soon unfortunatey...

Curious to know if 4GB RAM is still the max for a dual 2.0?

dcpmark
Jan 24, 2010, 01:12 AM
My dual 2.0 is still going strong after nearly 5 years. Runs PS2 w/ sizable files at acceptabe speeds. Also like the old copy i have of iMovie HD.

I had 5.5GB in mine, although it's sitting in my closet since the arrival of my Mac Pro.....:D

dellar
Jan 24, 2010, 02:31 AM
Why get a G5 (apart from expansion) when you get get a brand new mac mini with applecare. If you look at Geekbench, the 2.53Ghz Mac mini currently shipping performs better than the Quad 2.5Ghz G5 PowerMac (the fastest and most expensive PPC apple shipped).... and you get to run Snow Leopard on the mini and no such luck on the G5.

Check out some YouTube videos of people who dropped SSD drives in their 2009 Mac minis if you think performance is an issue

TonyK
Jan 24, 2010, 06:37 AM

I had 5.5GB in mine, although it's sitting in my closet since the arrival of my Mac Pro.....:D

My 2.3 Dual G5 has 6GB of memory. I think 8 is the max, but can't remember now.

The G5 found a new use the other day. No longer my primary system, but it is our media computer. It can't show NetFlix and some network stuff, but come spring, the Wii will do NetFlix which will be good enough for the short term.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Jan 25, 2010, 12:17 PM
Just wondering how many of you out there still uses Powermac G5s..

Is there some kind of website where I can find nice add ons? Like bluetooth and stuff like that? PCI cards?

What the hottest add on for them?

Thanks!

Mike

I use mine with pride ;) It's not the fastest for today's technology, but it packs a punch that can't be beaten by any Mac Mini or MacBook Air(yet),
and the FX4500 is so much better than the 9400M in said systems, I wonder if the GeForce 8800 GT for the Mac Pro would work in the last gen G5 Quad?

macgeek18
Jan 25, 2010, 12:27 PM
I use mine with pride ;) It's not the fastest for today's technology, but it packs a punch that can't be beaten by any Mac Mini or MacBook Air(yet),
and the FX4500 is so much better than the 9400M in said systems, I wonder if the GeForce 8800 GT for the Mac Pro would work in the last gen G5 Quad?

I see you have several MBP's and you still use a G5? That's pretty cool.I sold my G5 for my new Macbook,I miss the whole desktop feel,but now I just plug my mouse and keyboard in this andI'm good to go.I like having 2 powerbricks too,one on the desk one by the bed or in the living room. :) I would love to get a Quad G5 one day,they seem pretty cool,watercooling in a older machine is pretty awesome too.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Jan 25, 2010, 12:47 PM
I see you have several MBP's and you still use a G5? That's pretty cool.I sold my G5 for my new Macbook,I miss the whole desktop feel,but now I just plug my mouse and keyboard in this andI'm good to go.I like having 2 powerbricks too,one on the desk one by the bed or in the living room. :) I would love to get a Quad G5 one day,they seem pretty cool,watercooling in a older machine is pretty awesome too.

Yeah, the Unibody MBP is actually my dad's, but i just threw it into the mix for fun. I personally use the G5, which is my main machine, and the 12" PB is for anyone around the house who needs it for basic things, surfing the web, email, etc.

leekohler
Jan 25, 2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah, the Unibody MBP is actually my dad's, but i just threw it into the mix for fun. I personally use the G5, which is my main machine, and the 12" PB is for anyone around the house who needs it for basic things, surfing the web, email, etc.

Yeah- I still use my dual core G5 for most of what I do. I have a 2.4 black MacBook, but the G5 can hold more RAM, has a faster hard drive, 256 video card and a faster disc burner. It's still more practical for work than the MB.

Dr.Pants
Jan 25, 2010, 02:58 PM

Indeed,this is why I enjoy mine :D

I wonder if the GeForce 8800 GT for the Mac Pro would work in the last gen G5 Quad?

Unfortunatly not. The G5 uses Openfirmware, wheras the Macpro uses EFI. If somebody wrote an OpenFirmware ROM for the 8800GT and wrote a PowerPC driver, then it would work. but at the moment,no.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Jan 25, 2010, 03:19 PM
Indeed,this is why I enjoy mine :D

Unfortunatly not. The G5 uses Openfirmware, wheras the Macpro uses EFI. If somebody wrote an OpenFirmware ROM for the 8800GT and wrote a PowerPC driver, then it would work. but at the moment,no.

How unfortunate. It is a pity that with the exception for a few upgrades, we will only be able to keep our G5 towers alive and up to date for so long.

bzollinger
Jan 25, 2010, 03:26 PM
I've got a G5 dual 2.0 that I've used daily since I got it in 2005. Overall I love it. It's got an upgraded video card (512MB ATI mac version), two new HDDs (one WD 1TB for boot, and one 500GB WD), and 3GB or RAM. I'd say about 80% of the time it's great.

I have been getting a little impatient with it lately. Recently I've been doing a lot more photography with larger files. When I have LightRoom, PhotoShop, iPhoto, iTunes, and Safari open it slows to a crawl. Sometimes it's in paging because I've ran out of RAM. But other times the CPUs are maxed when exporting images or applying a filter in PS.

This system only takes 4GB or ram, so I'm kind of at the end of that rope, unless I want to toss two 512MB chips...

I've been waiting and researching upgrading to a new Mac Pro but as has been said 100s of times it is so expensive!

So for now I'm waiting for the 2010 models to come out.

Any suggestions on what to do with the old G5? eBay is out because I'm in AK and this thing is heavy! So that leaves craigs list. I don't need a file server, and would be using the new MP as my main/media machine.:apple:

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Jan 25, 2010, 03:50 PM
I've got a G5 dual 2.0 that I've used daily since I got it in 2005. Overall I love it. It's got an upgraded video card (512MB ATI mac version), two new HDDs (one WD 1TB for boot, and one 500GB WD), and 3GB or RAM. I'd say about 80% of the time it's great.

I have been getting a little impatient with it lately. Recently I've been doing a lot more photography with larger files. When I have LightRoom, PhotoShop, iPhoto, iTunes, and Safari open it slows to a crawl. Sometimes it's in paging because I've ran out of RAM. But other times the CPUs are maxed when exporting images or applying a filter in PS.

This system only takes 4GB or ram, so I'm kind of at the end of that rope, unless I want to toss two 512MB chips...

I've been waiting and researching upgrading to a new Mac Pro but as has been said 100s of times it is so expensive!

So for now I'm waiting for the 2010 models to come out.

Any suggestions on what to do with the old G5? eBay is out because I'm in AK and this thing is heavy! So that leaves craigs list. I don't need a file server, and would be using the new MP as my main/media machine.:apple:

If you have kids, an aunt/uncle/cousin that needs a newer computer, wife, etc..you could give/sell it to them.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 25, 2010, 04:40 PM

The first G5s had 4 and 8 memory slots so they only accepted 4gb and 8gb respectfully. They used the slower DDR memory and can only use 1gb dimms. The late 2005 dual-core models had 8 slots and uses DDR2 and can accept 2gb dimms so 16gb is the max on these models.

Why get a G5 (apart from expansion) when you get get a brand new mac mini with applecare. If you look at Geekbench, the 2.53Ghz Mac mini currently shipping performs better than the Quad 2.5Ghz G5 PowerMac (the fastest and most expensive PPC apple shipped).... and you get to run Snow Leopard on the mini and no such luck on the G5.

Check out some YouTube videos of people who dropped SSD drives in their 2009 Mac minis if you think performance is an issue
Troll :rolleyes:
Amazing how a new computer can outperform a 5 year old computer ;)

leekohler
Jan 25, 2010, 04:45 PM
If you have kids, an aunt/uncle/cousin that needs a newer computer, wife, etc..you could give/sell it to them.

That's true- or make it a server. That's what I plan to do with mine when it's days are up.

Toronto Mike
Jan 25, 2010, 08:18 PM
For me - my dual 2.0 G5 with CS4 can do everything I need it to do in a timely manner.

I don't do a large volume of work at once so this machine will be with me as long as commerical printers are able to print files from them, and others are able to read my files. Reading someone future lastest files on the newest software versions could be another story. Being able to use the internet and e-mail is a must.

If this all goes down the tubes then I would consider upgrading. I'll hold off as long as possible since a new computer is not just about the cost of the computer; all the peripheral hardware that has to be upgraded because the new machine won't read the old equipment, and new software needs to be puchased - which will often exceed the cost of the computer itself. What a racket. I think the computer industry would grind to a standstill if they built in too much backward compatibiltiy.

Lastly - who really has time to learn the newest software when what you have works great. Computers are tools to get work done - not make you a slave to all the interface changes software devlopers keep coming up with. Granted, some are improvements, others break something that wasn't broken to begin with,

Mike

brendu
Jan 25, 2010, 08:28 PM
bluetooth:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/IOGear/GBU421/

disconap
Jan 25, 2010, 08:41 PM

AFAIK the dual 2.0 can take 8gb. I have 6gb in mine...

disconap
Jan 25, 2010, 08:43 PM
I just got a Dual 1.8Ghz with 1.5GB DDR ram,and a 500GB HD in it,it's a sweet computer and quickly became my main system.I now have put a 1TB drive in it for Time Machine and have 4GB of DDR Samsung Performance Ram coming from OWC in the next couple days.

You'll notice a huge difference with the RAM upgrade. When I went from 2gb to 4gb it was like night and day (4 to 6 was only really noticeable when doing graphics work, which I do frequently, but in day to day use it was pretty much the same performance). Adding the SSDs bumped my G5 back up into the top performer slot in my office, I won't be MacPro-ing until probably 2011 now. :)

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Jan 26, 2010, 02:27 AM

And my response to the SSD in a mac mini? A pair of SSDs in the powermac's HD slots. It's a screamer now :D

Dr.Pants
Jan 26, 2010, 02:59 AM
And my response to the SSD in a mac mini? A pair of SSDs in the powermac's HD slots. It's a screamer now :D

Keep the SATA I bus's limitations in mind (~185 MB/s theoretical). Using a PCI-X HBA, one might be able to avoid that bottleneck... but at the same time, I'm getting my info on it from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X). I could be wrong.

At the same time, G5, you make a good point.

Quad 2.5 G5 =)
Jan 26, 2010, 01:49 PM
Keep the SATA I bus's limitations in mind (~185 MB/s theoretical). Using a PCI-X HBA, one might be able to avoid that bottleneck... but at the same time, I'm getting my info on it from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI-X). I could be wrong.

At the same time, G5, you make a good point.

Quite true, I wonder if there is a PCI-E with 6gb/s, or at least 3gb/s bandwidth, as the last gen dual core G5's don't have pci-x slots.

disconap
Jan 26, 2010, 08:04 PM
The SATA I limitations don't enter into it in a RAID0. The speeds are at (or past) the processor saturation point with a halfway decent SSD anyway.

Plus you can move the SSDs into a new system, which makes them one of the best upgrades for an older Mac around...

NIPRING
Feb 20, 2010, 09:18 AM
The internal BT is different between the DP G5 and the DC G5. On DP its about $30 for the card and its pretty weak without the external antenna (extra $20). The DC is a combo airport/BT card and i think it uses a riser card as well. I 've heard this combination runs about $150 but works great and they eliminated the need for the external antennas of the DP models.

OrangeSVTguy
Feb 20, 2010, 10:44 AM
The internal BT is different between the DP G5 and the DC G5. On DP its about $30 for the card and its pretty weak without the external antenna (extra $20). The DC is a combo airport/BT card and i think it uses a riser card as well. I 've heard this combination runs about $150 but works great and they eliminated the need for the external antennas of the DP models.

The BT of the Dual-core models is also BT 2.1 so you get the faster transfer speeds. Reception of both BT and AP are much better too with the built-in antenna.

The combo card is actually pretty cheap by itself, around $10 new on ebay. It's used in many different Macs. It's the riser card that is hard to find and is what makes it so expensive.

All it is pretty much a PCB with the right connections to accept the combo BT/AP card. I'm sure any cheap Chinese manufacturer could make them for pennies a card if bought in bulk but then you'd have to deal with the copyrights and patents on the board?

neenja
Apr 7, 2010, 09:48 PM
my g5 actually has bluetooth built in. just sucks cus i cant get my motorola s305 headphones to stay connected.. it works smoothly on my MBP though. the headsets will connect, then disconnect right away :(

seveej
Apr 8, 2010, 08:59 AM
Anyone?

buy a usb dongle. some/most of them work google the web to make sure the model fits...

Sold my PM G5 (2,3DP) for 350 some months ago, mainly because I wanted to get an Intel box (decent virtualization). Ended up buying an iMac.

jbellrmr
Apr 8, 2010, 01:38 PM
I have a June 2004 model dual processor 2.0 GHz, 5.5 GB ram, ATI X800 256MB video, 160 GB and 320 GB (Time machine) drives. It is still working just great. I do alot of video rendering on it and although it's not fast by MacPro Zeon standards, it is functioning perfectly on Leopard 10.5.8. for video I use QT Pro with MPEG addon, MpegStreamClip, and VLC.

Just bought a MBP, 5,1 refurb from the Apple Store, 2.66, 4GB, Expresscard slot. I'll be acquiring a Matrox MX02 Mini with Max technology soon to pull full HD off my DVR.

Love these Macs!

tevion5
Feb 6, 2013, 12:58 PM
We use G5s for our school recording studio.

Same :D

Navare
Feb 6, 2013, 01:56 PM
I've just bought my first G5 dual 2.3MHz 512mb ram but stripped apart from that....needs HDD/Optical/more Ram and a half decent graphics card....I gave $60 for it.....

N.

rabidz7
Feb 6, 2013, 01:59 PM
I use my G5 as my main computer.

wobegong
Feb 6, 2013, 10:40 PM
Used to be my main home machine but alas is now serving time as a bedroom XBMC (v11 Eden) media centre (which it does faultlessly) - Hooked up the TV, no keyboard or mouse and controlled via the XBMC iPad app. Manually hit the power button to Sleep/Wake - Works great.

rabidz7
Feb 7, 2013, 05:34 AM
Sata I ??? Just use a controller card.

MacuserinMSland
Feb 7, 2013, 10:16 AM
I've got a G5 I just picked up a couple of weeks ago, its serving as a secondary storage for iTunes and just looking awesome!

CptSky
Feb 7, 2013, 10:43 AM
I've bought a G5 Quad during the autumn. I use it mainly as a development machine for big-endian architectures, but mostly PowerPC. It allow me to build universal app (ppc, pp64, x86, x86_64) for OS X... Anyway, that's a powerful machine and I really like the design ! Hope I will not have problem with the LCS, but, if I do, I'll just buy another quad due to low prices of them :p

The only problem with it... It's compatibility issues with newer version of some applications, and the lack of complete virtualization application for PPC OSes, like VirtualBox or VMware Fusion. Might do a GUI wrapper for QEMU at some point.

MisterKeeks
Feb 7, 2013, 03:07 PM
I've bought a G5 Quad during the autumn. I use it mainly as a development machine for big-endian architectures, but mostly PowerPC. It allow me to build universal app (ppc, pp64, x86, x86_64) for OS X... Anyway, that's a powerful machine and I really like the design ! Hope I will not have problem with the LCS, but, if I do, I'll just buy another quad due to low prices of them :p

What apps do you make? I'd love to learn to develop, right now I'm trying to build some applications from source, but I still can't code. FYI, you can install the iPhone SDK on that with Pacifist.

The only problem with it... It's compatibility issues with newer version of some applications, and the lack of complete virtualization application for PPC OSes, like VirtualBox or VMware Fusion. Might do a GUI wrapper for QEMU at some point.

Have you heard of Q? It has a GUI, and is based on QEMU IIRC. The download is not up to date, but justperry tried to build it from source (I know Wildy succeeded, justperry probably did as well).

CptSky
Feb 7, 2013, 04:31 PM
What apps do you make? I'd love to learn to develop, right now I'm trying to build some applications from source, but I still can't code. FYI, you can install the iPhone SDK on that with Pacifist.

Have you heard of Q? It has a GUI, and is based on QEMU IIRC. The download is not up to date, but justperry tried to build it from source (I know Wildy succeeded, justperry probably did as well).

I've worked a lot on MMORPG private server emulators. My real project is a WinRAR-like archiver for OS X using a custom archive format and common ones. (StuffIt is good, but I don't like the UI) I'll see what I'll do as a school final project too. I've done few games in Java.
(http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-poASa3Edy5Y/UI8wPE-Ji1I/AAAAAAAAABA/um2lECJ2lZ0/s1600/Screen+shot+2012-10-29+at+5.40.06+PM.png)

Well, I don't develop for iOS really. To make a GUI, you must do it in Objective-C with Cocoa and I really dislike the language. When Qt5 will be fully ported to iOS, I'll maybe develop for iOS in C++ as I do for OS X. Anyway, at that point, I'll probably have a Mac Pro with my G5 to complete for a powerful x86 computer.

Yes, I've tried Q. Not that bad, but, the app is internally linked to QEMU instead of relying on the CLI. So, well, the QEMU version is really old and to make it work inside Q, it would takes some work. I prefer to do a Qt app that will call QEMU with the necessary commands for all options.