PDA

View Full Version : Remote linked avatars please?

edesignuk
Aug 13, 2004, 03:50 PM
Any chance of this being enabled arn? I know you can get PHP scripts that can display a different image at random from a specified group of files, I'd love to be able to do that here, and I think others would too.

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 13, 2004, 04:03 PM
I'd like to be able to do that too. Too bad I'm 414 posts away. :(

Knox
Aug 13, 2004, 04:35 PM
Any chance of this being enabled arn? I know you can get PHP scripts that can display a different image at random from a specified group of files, I'd love to be able to do that here, and I think others would too.

Unless vBulletin is much more sophisticated now, using remote avatars is an utter nightmare for admins. You bypass any restrictions on file size and dimensions by linking directly to an external image. The only (very undesirable) way i can think of getting around it is for a script on the server to download the image each time it's viewed, check the size/dimensions and then pass it through to the browser.

slughead
Aug 13, 2004, 04:56 PM
You know you can remotely get the size of an image through PHP, right?

edesignuk
Aug 13, 2004, 05:00 PM
This (http://www.yo-momma.net/forumstuff/macrumors/avatar/) is what I want to be able to use, reload the page a few times and you'll be able to see what I mean. It'd be so cool to be able to have your 'tar change at random.

Knox
Aug 13, 2004, 05:48 PM
You know you can remotely get the size of an image through PHP, right?

Yes, but that still is effectively downloading the image. You could check it when it was added but the image could change at any time after that. This means you're left with having to check the image at random intervals to make sure it's the same one.

This (http://www.yo-momma.net/forumstuff/macrumors/avatar/) is what I want to be able to use, reload the page a few times and you'll be able to see what I mean. It'd be so cool to be able to have your 'tar change at random.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Actually, looking at the docs for vBulletin I can't even find the option to allow you to use remote links for avatars. Looks like it has to be modified to allow it.

edesignuk
Aug 13, 2004, 05:52 PM
oh well, if it can be done then that'd be great, if not, oh well...*crys* :(

job
Aug 13, 2004, 08:38 PM

Infatuated with a certain female are we....? ;) :D

Sun Baked
Aug 13, 2004, 09:01 PM
Infatuated with a certain female are we....? ;) :DDon't worry the last person that was this infatuated with a woman was John F. Hinckley, Jr.

job
Aug 14, 2004, 06:12 AM
Don't worry the last person that was this infatuated with a woman was John F. Hinckley, Jr.

hahahaha....

Better tell Tony Blair to head for the hills then... :D

edesignuk
Aug 14, 2004, 06:18 AM
Infatuated with a certain female are we....? ;) :Dlol, at the moment, yes it would seem :eek: but the beauty of it is I can just slap any images in the folder and they will be displayed. So it's ridiculously easy to change to what ever is taking my fancy at the time ;)