Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronalddezino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Hello,
I wanted to buy a Samsung TV online from a US store based in New Jersey, however I live in Toronto, Canada. I contacted Customer Service, however they said they don't ship TVs to Canada. Does anyone know of a way I could work around this? I've already looked at sites that forward your order to you from the US however it would cost $200 for shipping due to the size of the package.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

aviationwiz

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2005
You could drive and get it. No matter how you look at it, it's going to be expensive to transport, especially when considering Canadian duty and tax.

wojak

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
you can ship to any ups store in buffalo, usually they charge $5 and hold it for a week, than just drive and get it

ronalddezino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
you can ship to any ups store in buffalo, usually they charge $5 and hold it for a week, than just drive and get it

Ah great thanks!! But how would I do this? Would I put the UPS store address information in the 'Shipping Info' on my order and my info in the 'Billing Info'?
Do I have to contact the UPS store beforehand?

Thanks so much!

wojak

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
keep in mind that on tv's, there is an additional candian duty, approx. 10-15% on top of GST/PST. To give you example last year on 'black friday' i bought 42 panasonic plasma in circuit city for 799 US, which was a super deal, considering they were 1199 in Future. However, adding taxes + duty + exchange rate + 2.5% visa fee, i was only $50 ahead and no warranty. However, tv works great and the picture beats all LCD's.

Contact UPS store first if sending by fedex or other, might need to open an account or maibox with them

If sending by UPS, you can pick it up at their customer centre

ups - your name and phone #
6601 Packard Rd
Niagara Falls, NY 14304

ronalddezino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Hi,
So do I need to set up a mailbox or something or can I just ship it to them?

Oh, sorry didn't read your response properly :p . Thanks for all the help!!

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Hello,
I wanted to buy a Samsung TV online from a US store based in New Jersey, however I live in Toronto, Canada....
Is it a reputable store? New Jersey is known for the scam camera/TV online stores. Make sure you check with resellerratings.com before buying. I'm guessing you want to ship from them because the price is too good to be true? That's a red flag.

Even if it's legit, a US model Samsung might not have any warranty in Canada.

ronalddezino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2009
Is it a reputable store? New Jersey is known for the scam camera/TV online stores. Make sure you check with resellerratings.com before buying. I'm guessing you want to ship from them because the price is too good to be true? That's a red flag.

Even if it's legit, a US model Samsung might not have any warranty in Canada.

Hey thanks for the tip. I checked out the store (Butterfly Photo), it seems to be reputable with almost all positive customer reviews. I'll check with them on the warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.