PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 Dying - Symptoms - Worth Repairing?

woolnet
Jan 2, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hi all

My faithful PowerBook G4 seems to have decided it doesn't want to play anymore.

It's been my workhorse for the past six years, so I'd like to repair it if you think it's a worthwhile and cost-effective repair:

It starts up ok with the chime. Loads OS-X and gives me the desktop. I even managed to open up a Quark file and resave it, but then it got the jitters on the screen. The cursor then locked up in the wheel of death and the screen filled with horizontal lines and got brighter and brighter until I had a nearly white screen.

I can restart it ok, but it does all of the above after various amounts of time.

Many thanks in advance for any solutions...

Cheers

applebook
Jan 2, 2010, 03:47 PM
Try simple and inexpensive fixes like reinstalling the OS, and if that doesn't work, try an external hard drive with a fresh installation.

If the hard drive is not the culprit, then, IMO, put this G4 to sleep and get a MacBook.

woolnet
Jan 3, 2010, 11:03 AM
Try simple and inexpensive fixes like reinstalling the OS, and if that doesn't work, try an external hard drive with a fresh installation.

If the hard drive is not the culprit, then, IMO, put this G4 to sleep and get a MacBook.

Thanks, yup, I'll give that a go. Lucky I have just bought a MacBook Pro, so it's not the end of the world....;)

e12a
Jan 3, 2010, 11:04 AM
prepare for the worst. sounds like something's up with the GPU. If it requires replacement you need a new logic board.

mofunk
Jan 3, 2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks, yup, I'll give that a go. Lucky I have just bought a MacBook Pro, so it's not the end of the world....;)

kewl I just got a MBP too. My Powerbook G4 still runs. If I don't sell it, I will just use it as a backup. If you have a little cash, check out a local Apple shop and see if they can replace the parts that's not working. I noticed my LCD screen takes awhile to warm up and battery life is at 0%.

Takashi
Jan 3, 2010, 06:18 PM
I would just get a new machine. IMHO, any computer that's is more than 2 years old are not worth repairing unless it's a simple upgrade like adding a new HD or RAM.

MacsOnAnabolics
Jan 3, 2010, 06:31 PM
It is either the logic board or the graphics card. You need to take it in the the apple store so they can diagnose the problem and give you an esitmate. Do you have applecare?

Although, the Powerbook G4 is a few years behind on performance and antiquated technology. It would be wise to start saving for a new machine with current benchmarks in performance.

Takashi
Jan 3, 2010, 08:19 PM
It is either the logic board or the graphics card. You need to take it in the the apple store so they can diagnose the problem and give you an esitmate. Do you have applecare?

If I am correct, Applecare only covers up to 3 years. The OP has a 6 year old machine. An apple store diagnostic probably cost more than its worth.