PDA

View Full Version : [eMac] Having dvd burner/player problems

belljb25
Jan 3, 2010, 12:08 AM
My eMac has a pioneer DVD player in it that was bought from macsales.net that it came with. I am having a problem with it when I first got it it would play any kinda of dvd just fine now i can pop a blank dvd in it or a movie and all it does is spin the disc, then spin it some more, then one more time for good measure, and then eject the dang dvd no matter what kind I use. Should I just buy a new dvd player for it? If so should I just go external or internal, or is it possible to fix this problem? Also I have tried using a lens cleaner.

MacHamster68
Jan 3, 2010, 03:17 AM
dvd players and writers have a life expectancy of i dont know how many hours , so they just stop working one day , not uncommon , get a new one , they cost not much ,and fitting it internal is easy , and looks better then a external one hanging around , second if you stil want external remember to go firewire as you cant boot from usb if you ever wish to install a new operating system

ADent
Jan 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
Which eMac? Our eMac boots from USB. Of course it has to be 9.x or 10.4.4+

brandonjb85
Jan 4, 2010, 07:11 PM
Which eMac? Our eMac boots from USB. Of course it has to be 9.x or 10.4.4+

It is 10.4.11. I think when I get the money I am just either gonna buy a fire wire dvd or a a new internal

MacHamster68
Jan 5, 2010, 06:04 AM
i did try it on my eMac when i tested out several osx's to see which one works best for me and my eMac , i did try to install external usb and it did not work , but it worked once i took it out of the usb enclosure and fitted it in a firewire enclosure, then i could directly install osx

hughvane
Jan 8, 2010, 07:19 PM
The external firewire dvd player is the better way to go. Then, you can use the drive to boot your eMac. A Pioneer 118D, even a 116D (both read/write dual layer disks). You could always try the combo enclosure, having both firewire and USB. With firewire you can daisy-chain several (actually up to 27) external devices, as long as they're all firewire.
[I didn't think one could boot from an external drive via USB - must check that.]