PDA

View Full Version : I have an iPhone car mount in mind, but does it exist?

tombarnes
Jan 3, 2010, 10:03 AM
I have an iPhone car mount in mind, but does it exist?

Most of the iPhone car mounts out there have the suction pad to attach to the windscreen glass. As we all know, the back of the iPhone 3G+3Gs is glossy plastic. Is there an iPhone car mount which uses a suction cup on the phone end aswell as the windscreen end?

I other words, a double suction cup phone mount.

Does this exist? Is it a good idea?

Cheers!

Tom

lemonademaker
Jan 3, 2010, 10:35 AM
Valid Idea...
but just don't know if i would trust it....

had an example this morning when I was at my parents house...
my parents are getting up in age and my mom wanted to retrofit some grab handles in the bathroom shower/tub, she asked if she could just buy "those suction cup type of handles".....

to me it just takes that 1 time those suction cups don't hold....(i know i know kind of a stretch using a health of a parent to a phone) now i've used the suction cup stuff for kitchen window trinkets, placing panes of glass and heck even used em back-in-the-day for pulling a dent out of car doors....

all that said, heck they put it on ones sided of the mount already why couldn't put it on the iPHone side... but i wouldn't trust it 100% of the time, i guess that's why i never bought the "one sided" mounts for the windshield....

but it would be a very clean look......

ps I opted for some permanent handles for parents bathroom.....LOL

tombarnes
Jan 6, 2010, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the reply, it's definately the clean look what I'm after. What you mentioned are probably the reasons no-one has created such a thing!

I used to have a Tomtom standalone unit, and I remember the suction cup they used had a sort of clamp on it, I guess it increased the vacuum by squeezing the excess air out. But a suction cup on the back of the iPhone would be a smaller one than the windscreen end, and having a clamp on it would increase it's size and be fiddly etc.

I'll keep my eyes open and see if anyone decides to make a good reliable one.

Tom

lemonademaker
Jan 16, 2010, 01:21 PM
I was listening to a tech podcast (macbreak weekly) and thought about this thread....

not exactly what you wanted but it's getting closer, i bet this company can produce it.....

SuctionClip.com (http://suctionclip.com/)

i'll try to get a pic up.....

Blueline29
Jan 16, 2010, 06:54 PM
I don't think I'd ever be able to trust a suction-cup mount, just because I can never seem to get them to hold very well. I have a radar detector I'm not even using right now because no matter what I try, I can't get the stupid suction cup to adhere for longer than about 2 minutes to my windshield. Ugh.

eron
Jan 17, 2010, 01:25 AM
I actually think it's a great idea. Go patent it before somebody 'steals' the idea.