PDA

View Full Version : OSX on Blue & White G3s?

Andos
Aug 13, 2004, 08:03 PM
Anyone had any experience running OSX on the B&W G3 boxes?

Research I've found so far indicates that it's more stable on these than 9.x, but runs slowly. I'm keen to find out if that is the case.

Thanks!

seamuskrat
Aug 13, 2004, 08:25 PM
If you have Rev B board, and lots of good quality RAM, and updated firmware, its A OK.
I run BLAST DNA sequencers on a series of old G3 towers and I have no issues at all. BUT I will say that at first I used whatever old RAM I could find and had an awful time getting the right assortment of RAM that worked together.

Generic did not play well in those machines.

The Rev A are slightly more finicky. They can sometimes freeze without waning. I have 2 rev A, and this happens maybe once a month, and they run 24/7.
Anyone had any experience running OSX on the B&W G3 boxes?

Research I've found so far indicates that it's more stable on these than 9.x, but runs slowly. I'm keen to find out if that is the case.

Thanks!

Horrortaxi
Aug 13, 2004, 09:28 PM
It doesn't run that slow on a B&W G3--but that's really a subjective thing. By anyone's definition I think it's safe to say they're stable.

Jo-Kun
Aug 14, 2004, 06:01 AM
I did run OSX Jaguar on my old B&W G3 300, had 768Mb ram in it, ok OS9 was faster, and photoshop was slower on OSX because OSX is more demanding for the hardware, but it ran.
a friend has an equal system (I sold mine to buy my iPod when I got My Ti-Book G4 400) and he runs Panther on it...

J

Mord
Aug 14, 2004, 06:29 AM
i have a b&w g3 400MHz (overclocked to 500MHz :D) and i run panther on it and it's nice and zippy, i had a freind who ran jaguar on his g3 and that was a bit slow panther is allot better

russed
Aug 14, 2004, 07:54 AM
whats the model before the b&w? it is a g3 powermac in a beige box. well anyway i can have one if i want as where im working at the mo is chucking one out with a 20" crt apple monitor. well anyway. will it run os x? and also how much would it be worth on ebay if i decide to try and get some money for it? it all appears to work. i have no idea about ram spec etc as it is piled up in a corner of the warehouse and i can only try it out if i take it home and i cant be bothered to do that if it is worth nothing or wont run os x!

JeDiBoYTJ
Aug 14, 2004, 09:28 AM
at school, we had 4 B&W G3's, running OS 10.2. everything ran ok. not perfect, but not bad either.

the only problem we had, was when we tried to upgrade them to panther. we would get through the whole installation, but then when we get to the desktop, the display was screwed up. had to downgrade back to 10.2, and everything was fine again... weird.

MacNeXT
Aug 14, 2004, 10:45 AM
I bought a B&W to run OS X. At first it had a 300 MHz processor and 256MB ram. It ran fine but not fast. Right now, with some upgrades (see below), it is a great machine. I do all sorts of things, internet, office, play movies, listen music, develop java. My B&W handles it perfectly. It never crashes.

Also, i've had little or no problems with the hardware. Low budget memory always worked fine (though i may have been lucky). Radeon (after flashing), CD burner, harddisk... no problems at all.

You should prefer a rev 2 otherwise you need an PCI IDE card wich I have.

Mord
Aug 14, 2004, 10:49 AM
whats the model before the b&w? it is a g3 powermac in a beige box. well anyway i can have one if i want as where im working at the mo is chucking one out with a 20" crt apple monitor. well anyway. will it run os x? and also how much would it be worth on ebay if i decide to try and get some money for it? it all appears to work. i have no idea about ram spec etc as it is piled up in a corner of the warehouse and i can only try it out if i take it home and i cant be bothered to do that if it is worth nothing or wont run os x!

it will run 10.2 with out of the bo.... urr bin

but if you get a program called xpostfacto it will run panther but you would have to put a pci graphics card in there

Horrortaxi
Aug 14, 2004, 10:55 AM
Yes, before the B&Ws there were beige G3s. They're still good computers and very useful for the right people. They'll do all your basic tasks that most people spend most of their time doing. You can run OS X up to 10.2.8. You'll lose fucntionality of the floppy drive and some ports, and there are a couple hitches if you have a large hard drive. If you needed the floppy you could still boot into OS 9. You can search Ebay to see what they're going for--under $100 I suspect.

Mord
Aug 14, 2004, 10:57 AM
Yes, before the B&Ws there were beige G3s. They're still good computers and very useful for the right people. They'll do all your basic tasks that most people spend most of their time doing. You can run OS X up to 10.2.8. You'll lose fucntionality of the floppy drive and some ports, and there are a couple hitches if you have a large hard drive. If you needed the floppy you could still boot into OS 9. You can search Ebay to see what they're going for--under $100 I suspect.

there is a 3rd party driver that gets old mac's floppy drives to work in os x i put it on a friends wall street powerbook, and i cant seem to find it now but it is out there

7on
Aug 14, 2004, 05:38 PM
the B&W in my sig runs 10.3.5 awesomely. It is a bit loud though.

Paid $237 USD for it.

jane doe
Aug 15, 2004, 10:22 AM
I run 10.3.5 server on a 350 B&W, runs fine.. I don't use any graphics since its a headless box but it runs great.

cluthz
Aug 16, 2004, 06:24 AM
If you are planning to install osx on a beige g3 (like i have..)
be sure to partition your hd right!!
Osx must be installed on the first partition and this partition can't be larger than 7.8 GB!!!

btw osx 10.1 runs ok on my 300 mhz beige G3
(be sure to add some ram...)