Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unverrich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
USA
I have a question, I have 8 Internal Hard Drives and it keeps growing. They are all filled with content for my Apple TVs.

But what I want to do is put them all in a gaming case, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043&cm_re=antec_1200-_-11-129-043-_-Product.

My question is how to I go about doing that? I dont want a computer/server, just a really big external case for all my HDs to be in. The thing is you cant daisy chain SATA HDs so what else can I do since that case can hold up to 11 HDs at once?

What Im looking for is something that comes out the back of the case as 1 USB cable that i can plug into my computer or airport extreme basestation.

Thanks!

dekinseattle

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2009
you could daisy chain a couple of ICY Dock enclosures - check on newegg.com - these come out of the box ready to go - I have a single drive enclosure attached to my iMac that has been great for over 2 years now - totally recommend these

I have on order a Drobo for my external storage option going forward though - drobo.com - when I hooked up a Mini to the TV as a HTPC I figured I needed something larger than my single drive unit - I have well over 600gigs of media currently - I spent the past week consolidating this all on 1TB drive that is currently in the ICY - I have been streaming this data from the iMac to either the Mini/PLEX or to my :apple:TV and the ICY is running like dream - but for long term solution I went with a Drobo to attach directly to the Mini

I hope to actually get the Drobo on Tuesday ... it is currently stuck in UPS Hell - ordered back on 12/23 from newegg.com with 3day free shipping ... currently UPS says I will get this on 1/5 ... UPS took tons of time off over the holidays!! goobers!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.