PDA

View Full Version : Need help

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:08 PM
How do you start in safe mode? I just installed a program and it prompted me to re-start my computer. So i did. Once my desktop came back up after about 20 seconds it came up with a black box that said i must restart my computer by holding the power button. I do it. It happens again and again. How do i fix this? Do i have to hold down some buttons on start up to get into safe mode or something so i can get rid of this damn program?

jsw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:12 PM
Do you have any other accounts on the Mac that you could log in via? That would give you the easiest way to get access to the program (i.e., do you have root enabled, or another account with admin access)? Also, do you have another Mac with which you could log onto your current one while it's still showing the login screen?

Duff-Man
Aug 13, 2004, 10:14 PM
Duff-Man says....what did you install? ...oh yeah!

jsw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:15 PM
As you probably know, command-S on boot gets you into single-user mode. But that's a far cry from OS X or a terminal command line.

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:15 PM
No it's the only mac i have and i only have 1 admin account. Is there any way i could start the computer in a different mode to get rid of this program?
I installed NetBarrier. I didn't buy it, thats all i'll say.

jsw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:16 PM
Can you boot from your install CD? (press 'C' while booting)

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:17 PM
You mean put the restore cd in and then use that to boot? I don't know. I'm all the way on the other side of the house using my pc.

jsw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:18 PM
You mean put the restore cd in and then use that to boot? I don't know. I'm all the way on the other side of the house using my pc.Yes - at least one of the CD's that came with it is bootable.

Also, holding 'shift' while logging in should disable startup items - I think. Not sure on that one.

Edit: just verified the shift key thing. after entering your password, before clicking the login button, press 'shift' and keep it pressed during login. Most (but not all) startup items are not run.

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:20 PM
Ok i'll give the booting with cd and the holding shift button a try. Be back in a few.

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:28 PM
Ok none of that worked. Any other ideas?

jsw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:31 PM
Ok none of that worked. Any other ideas?
Were you able to boot from a CD? That should have worked.

What did you install that's so insidious?

Duff-Man
Aug 13, 2004, 10:32 PM
Duff-Man says....it has probably installed a .kext or something into system/library/extensions and that may be causing the kernel panic. You could start into single user mode and browse to there and have a look, and if you know what you are doing, delete if necessary....oh yeah!

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:35 PM
I installed NetBarrier. I got it off of Aquisition, it installed fine. I don't have enough time to do anything when i start my computer, it tells me i have to restart after 20 seconds.

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:35 PM
Well, if booting off of the original OS X install CD isn't working (which is surprising, since it shouldn't load anything that you have installed recently), then you could try doing a hard reset.

Not sure what Mac you're running, so I don't know if you have a reset button or you have to use the key combination (your manual will tell you).

You can also try resetting the PRAM (hold command-option-p-r when you restart and wait for the second memory chime).

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:36 PM
How do i do that? Is it risky for someone that doesn't know a whole lot about macs, like me?

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:37 PM
I havea new REV C PowerBook.

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
I'm sure i could boot from the cd but i don't know when to push down 'C'

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:39 PM
How do i do that? Is it risky for someone that doesn't know a whole lot about macs, like me?

Do what? Hard reset? Your manual should tell you. Single user? Command-S on boot.

Hard reset and PRAM reset are not risky - they reset parameters. Never used Single user mode.

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:41 PM
I'm sure i could boot from the cd but i don't know when to push down 'C'

Hold C as soon as you click restart and keep holding it until you see/hear it boot up from the CD. I believe there's a visual cue, but I haven't done it in awhile.

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:41 PM
What exactly does the hard reset do and what exactly is the single mode? Sorry for the stupid questions, i'm a little panicked.

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:44 PM
What exactly does the hard reset do and what exactly is the single mode? Sorry for the stupid questions, i'm a little panicked.

Okay. Settle down and stay calm. First things first. Forget hard resets and PRAM resets until you try to boot from the CD. I thought you had done this, but based on subsequent posts you haven't.

Focus on one thing at a time and boot from the CD. Insert the CD. Restart your computer and immediately hold down the C key. Keep the C key held until you are sure it is booting off of the CD. If this works and doesn't force a restart again, let us know and we'll go from there.

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:50 PM
Ok it has booted from the cd. Now what?

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:53 PM
Ok it has booted from the cd. Now what?

Do you have anything you want to save on this Mac? If not, reinstall the system from scratch.

If so, well, I'd try doing a find for anything modified in the last <x> hours on your hard drive (corresponding to when you installed this software) and deleting anything related to that software.

After that, try rebooting without the CD.

The others may have more suggestions if they're still watching.

JzzTrump22
Aug 13, 2004, 10:55 PM
I have a lot of stuff i want on this thing. I really don't want to re-install the OS. Is there any way to get into my system without any programs starting, or me being in a "safe mode" like windows has. Just so i could go in and delete the program?

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 10:58 PM
I have a lot of stuff i want on this thing. I really don't want to re-install the OS. Is there any way to get into my system without any programs starting, or me being in a "safe mode" like windows has. Just so i could go in and delete the program?

If you're booted off of the CD, you can do whatever you need to do on your hard drive. Do a find and see if you can wipe off the program (as I mentioned in my last post).

Duff-Man
Aug 13, 2004, 11:01 PM
Duff-Man says...okay, if you've booted from the cd and you see your hard drive on the desktop, there's a few things you can do - look in the applications dir and find the folder for the program you installed and then see if it made a log file which will tell you all the files it put and where it put them - then delete them. Or try launching the installer again - there may be an "uninstall" option. Also try running disk utility and checking your drive for errors and repairing permissions.....oh yeah!

yellow
Aug 13, 2004, 11:03 PM
You can use Single User Mode to boot into and delete things, but if you don't know what you're looking for and you don't know the command line, forget it.

You could also try Safe Mode, which should load only Apple kernel extensions. To do this, boot holding down Shift. Once (if) you can log in, run the uninstaller for NetBarrier X.

Don't download and install illegal software. You don't know where that stuff came from, who has been playing with it, what is missing or added. Don't put it in your mouth. And it's illegal. A lot of frenchman worked very hard, smoking cigarettes, eating cheese, drinking wine, writing proof on concept viruses and then 'magically' finding them (our heroes!), to bring NetBarrier X to the public! Johnny Highschooler shouldn't be stealing it. And it's illegal.

Duff-Man
Aug 13, 2004, 11:03 PM
Duff-Man says....and to add...if worse comes to worse and it doesn't get fixed, you can reinstall the os using the "archive and install" option which creates a new system for you but leaves your users and files intact (and keeps your old system too in a folder called "previous system folder" which you can delete once you are up and running and verified that everyhting is working properly again)...oh yeah!

Duff-Man
Aug 13, 2004, 11:06 PM
Don't download and install illegal software. You don't know where that stuff came from, who has been playing with it, when is missing or added. Don't put it in your mouth. And it's illegal. A lot of frenchman worked very hard, smoking cigarettes, eating cheese, drinking wine, writing proof on concept viruses and then 'magically' finding them (our heroes!), to bring NetBarrier X to the public! Johnny Highschooler shouldn't be stealing it. And it's illegal.Duff-Man says...ha, you beat me to it. I was going to wait until the guy was up and running again before giving the lecture, hoping he has learned his lesson. Part of me didn't even want to try and help at all, and just respond with - you installed pirated software and now you got what you deserved....oh yeah

yellow
Aug 13, 2004, 11:08 PM
you installed pirated software and now you got what you deserved....oh yeah

Oh yeah!! Err.. I mean.. San Dimas High School Football Rules!

emw
Aug 13, 2004, 11:09 PM
Whew! The experts have stepped in. You're in good hands, JzzTrump22 - I have to go to bed.

But heed their advice - installing illegal software is not only, well, illegal, it is risky. It's like buying heroin from... oh, never mind. I'm too tired to try and be sarcastic.

Good luck. And good night.

jsw
Aug 13, 2004, 11:25 PM
JzzTrump22, please let us know if you've gotten your PB "back".

Hopefully, you've learned a bit of a lesson - and about backing up as well as things mentioned above. Good luck. I'd lecture more, but I think it's been said better than I could already (above), and I don't think there's any reason to kick you while you're down. Do the same thing again, though, and you might get more grief.... ;)

Seriously, though, good luck.

JzzTrump22
Aug 14, 2004, 08:16 AM
I managed to delete the program and all it's contents while i had the cd in, but i wasn't booted from it. It's wierd, it didn't tell me to restart for about 2 minutes, so i was able to get rid of it. I just wanted to say thatnks for all your help. I'd be totally lost without you mac geniuses, that probably goes for the entire board as well. Thanks!

grabberslasher
Aug 14, 2004, 08:20 AM
<don't know if this has been posted, but..>

Holding shift from the moment you boot up your computer disables any extensions that are not vital.

You'll know that it's worked when you see the text "Safe Boot" under the starting mac os x text.

jsw
Aug 14, 2004, 08:32 AM
<don't know if this has been posted, but..>

Holding shift from the moment you boot up your computer disables any extensions that are not vital.

You'll know that it's worked when you see the text "Safe Boot" under the starting mac os x text.Thanks for the tip - I knew it'd work when logging on to disable start-up items, hadn't heard about it while booting.

And, JzzTrump22 - glad to hear you're Mac's back!