PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 Anomalies

gr8gatzby
Jan 3, 2010, 11:40 PM
I bought an iBook G4/1Ghz for $80 as a fixer-upper / Christmas gift. Alls it needed was RAM so I threw in 1GB of memory. I go to install 10.4 and after installing from Disc 1 it reboots and hangs indefinitely at the Apple logo. I then installed 10.5, and after a complete and successful install it again hangs at the Apple logo after boot. Whats the dealio here?

btbrossard
Jan 4, 2010, 12:19 AM
Does it hang without the new ram installed?

I would remove the ram and try and boot the computer. If it boots then, reseat the ram and try again.

If it doesn't boot even with the ram installed, you might try to run the Apple Hardware test on the installer CD.

You could also try and install the OS to an external USB drive and see if it will boot then.

I would stick with 10.4 on the iBook if you have a choice. It's going to run better than 10.5 with only a 1 ghz processor.

I have an old iBook 14" 1.42 ghz and it runs pretty good with 10.4 on it (when it gets used).

pvmacguy
Jan 4, 2010, 08:33 AM
Well it doesnt sound like your GPU has failed like some others because you were able to make it through the OS install without a system lock up. Your HDD might be the culprit possibly is it the original one? Try what btbrossard said first though because it just could be some bad ram.