PDA

View Full Version : Group text messaging

strutter
Jan 4, 2010, 04:07 AM
Is there an app that allows you to send/forward text messages to a 'group' of contacts rather than individually inputting them each time.

I downloaded 'Contacts Plus' via itunes but it's not what I need. This is just a futile contact arranging for Outlook synch purposes - therefore useless to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

vettori
Jan 4, 2010, 08:57 AM
Is there an app that allows you to send/forward text messages to a 'group' of contacts rather than individually inputting them each time.

I downloaded 'Contacts Plus' via itunes but it's not what I need. This is just a futile contact arranging for Outlook synch purposes - therefore useless to me.

Any help would be appreciated.

My app ABContacts does that but you'll need to jailbreak to send "regular" texts to groups.

iCAR
Jan 4, 2010, 06:16 PM
My app ABContacts does that but you'll need to jailbreak to send "regular" texts to groups.

Wow, your app got really bad reviews.

ARF900
Jan 4, 2010, 06:18 PM
you know that if you press compose in the upper right corner then keep pressing the blue + next to the contact name also in the upper right will allow you to set a group?

vettori
Jan 5, 2010, 02:04 AM
you know that if you press compose in the upper right corner then keep pressing the blue + next to the contact name also in the upper right will allow you to set a group?

For group texting we mean that you add the single group as a recipient like in email distribution list, not every single recipient in a group at hand.

vettori
Jan 5, 2010, 02:21 AM
Wow, your app got really bad reviews.

Don't tell :mad:

Personally I think the review system is a mess. Just for example, the last review has one star and tells other that my app removes the entire contact address book. :eek:

Well this is simply not possibile, the app has no code to remove all contacts.
Fortunately this user contacted me at the support email (many don't ever try to contact support and just write reviews).
Still, she insist that it's my app that removes the contacts and refuses to collaborate to find her issue (probably a misconfigured syncing).

Many of the bad reviews are from people that simply don't read the guide or don't contact the support. Typical issues solved with the support email are syncing and Outlook issues, all not related to my app.

I also think that "happy" users should be forced to leave a review or at least a "rate". And that developers should be able to reply to reviews or at least be able to contact reviewers to offer support to solve their issues.

ARF900
Jan 5, 2010, 06:32 PM
For group texting we mean that you add the single group as a recipient like in email distribution list, not every single recipient in a group at hand.

Yes but once you make the group it will stay in your messages list. Along with your other individual conversations.

vettori
Jan 6, 2010, 09:59 AM
Yes but once you make the group it will stay in your messages list. Along with your other individual conversations.

This is true but for many is not pratical.
It requires to keep the conversation; if you have to add or remove contacts you have to create a new message adding contacts one at a time.

Yours could be a viable solution for users that sends few messages and have "static" groups.

Frankly speaking I don't understand why Apple has not added the feature to do group texts in the built-in text app :confused:

mryanaz
Aug 6, 2011, 11:50 PM
Group chat via SMS is a large market opportunity that has been solved in an ideal way as soon as the handset vendor community wakes up. Smashtalk (www.smashtalk.net) is the SMS engine that should have been part of every mobile phone. Smashtalk provides full group text chat without any need for a web site. No need to establish groups ahead of time. No need to load any special application. In fact, Smashtalk supports integration to every SMS application running today and enables all of them to enjoy group text chat. Smashtalk technology is available for licensing by any handset vendor, OS vendor or carrier. If you want to have "universal" group text chat, make some noise with your carrier and handset vendor. Smashtalk is what SMS should have been from day 1 and can be going forward.

jonmars
Aug 7, 2011, 10:04 AM
ContactsXl 3 is simply the best app on the store to manage your contacts and send text messages or emails to groups at one time, without having to add contacts one by one.

ContactsXL 3 on the AppStore (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/contactsxl-3-groups-facebook/id364481787)