Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xircom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Tokyo, Japan
Does anybody know if Apple ever though about bringing a dockingstation to the *books ? Yes, I remember the Duo some time ago, but I think today a powerbook is in many cases a true replacement for the desktop and a dockingstation would make sense ...

C-Mezak

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
Xircom said:
Does anybody know if Apple ever though about bringing a dockingstation to the *books ? Yes, I remember the Duo some time ago, but I think today a powerbook is in many cases a true replacement for the desktop and a dockingstation would make sense ...

I dont think that a dock makes sense, and here's why:

Docks are useful because they make it easier to get your computer up and running on your desk without having to plug in a bunch of peripheral cables for your keyboard, mouse, printer, modem, etc.. However, a more elegant and effective solution to this problem is bluetooth, which Apple is definitely promoting. Of course not every sort of peripheral has gone wireless yet - monitors and speakers, most notably - but theyre on their way. Even external storage devices might go wireless.

A dock just isnt as elegant a solution as there is, and thats why apple aint gonna do it.

Charlie

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
here ya go.
I'm considering eventually getting the 15", because I have: USB mouse, FW800 HD, iPod, Nostromo N52 (other USB port), power, and audio to unplug every time I move my PB, which isn't much now, but come September, it'll be a whole lot more.

Xircom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Tokyo, Japan
C-Mezak said:
I dont think that a dock makes sense, and here's why:

Docks are useful because they make it easier to get your computer up and running on your desk without having to plug in a bunch of peripheral cables for your keyboard, mouse, printer, modem, etc.. However, a more elegant and effective solution to this problem is bluetooth, which Apple is definitely promoting. Of course not every sort of peripheral has gone wireless yet - monitors and speakers, most notably - but theyre on their way. Even external storage devices might go wireless.

A dock just isnt as elegant a solution as there is, and thats why apple aint gonna do it.

Charlie

Well yeah, of course it's true for many devices, and all the books have bluetooth/WLAN already in - what you said is my wish also. Wonder why this internal bluetooth module I still cannot get separately for my ibook ... but that's another story. Nevertheless there is Power adapter, ext. Screen, my digital camera etc which will hang on the book still quite a while.

Xircom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Tokyo, Japan
panphage said:
EDIT: Well, simulataneous postings are fun!

These people make the only Mac laptop dock I have ever heard of: http://www.photo-control.com/bookendz/

Looks good, maybe I should consider that - but stillwould be nice to have some "universal connector" to the books which makes it even more "connector-hassle" free ... but that of course must be implemented by Apple :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.