Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macworld reports that Apple has taken control of a trademark for the term "i-phone" in China after reaching an agreement with the previous holder to resolve a conflict that could have prevented Apple from releasing the iPhone there under its global brand name.
Hanwang Technology, a Chinese maker of e-readers and other devices, applied for the i-phone trademark for mobile phones in China in 2004, when it also launched a handset by that name that it no longer sells. But the record for that trademark, which several months ago showed Hanwang as the applicant, now lists Apple's name instead, and it displays a new note saying the trademark was transferred.
Chinese intellectual property lawyers had previously indicated that Apple would have difficulty launching the iPhone in China under its usual name due to its similarity to that of Hanwang's device and trademark.

Apple launched the iPhone in China in late October with partner carrier China Unicom, which has reportedly exceeded 300,000 units sold despite a slow launch weekend.

Article Link: Apple Takes Control of iPhone-Related Trademark in China

steaston3

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
i know

its not just doing bad its doing terrible!! I just got back from china and you could ask any person there that its way! out of their price range it cost 700$ and for a Chinese person thats like 2000$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.