PDA

View Full Version : First 12 hours as owner of a mac.. It ain't good!

Jophster
Jan 4, 2010, 03:49 PM
UPDATE: YOU CAN READ ABOUT MY EXPERIANCES IN 48 HOURS HERE: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9049726

UPDATE: FIND OUT HOW YOUR BATTERY COMPARES TO OTHERS HERE: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=844645

Hi all
this is my first post and very glad to be a member of macrumours!

this morning I receieved my MacBook Air (revision a) from eBay for just 500!
As a result I was pleased to see I arrived in decent condition!
I have been an exclusive windows user for my entire life - and quite a proficent one at that often being subjected to crys for help from family and friends!

I love my iPhone and the whole ethos of apple and couldn't wait to get my first mac. Sadly my first 10ish hours with my mac have been dreadful. Read on to find out why...

When it arrived I noticed really bad shadowing on the screen. I went straight to the apple store who told me it would be a 300 repair. Thankfully it was down to post office negligence for which I am covered for!

Bad point number two was the complete inability to access my iTunes library on my windows 7 pc. It wouldn't recognise it on the mac at all!? Neither was it easy to simply access my shared folders.

I know I may be about to get shot down here as I'm sure a lot of people here will not be pleased I'm bad mouthing macs but I cannot comprehend why the red x and the orange - do virtually the same job!? I also don't understand why apple make it so hard to resize a window - I miss aero snap very much already!

I have also had the unit almost on constant charge all day an haven't come close to full charge!?

I haven't been able to install iLife as it quits half way through - something wrong with the package?

And after 10 hours of non stop struggle this laptop has completely ruined my enthusiasm for the product.

Can some one please tell me some of the benefits of having this laptopto take away some of the angst of today's disaster!!

I will inevitably calm down and try again tomorrow to set it up and start actually using it but today had been nothing more than a waste of time, energy and right now... Money.

Really dissapointed, I thought that from today I could call myself "a mac" as the term goes. Right now I'm considering tatooing PC to my forhead.

I will follow up tomorrow with how day two fares. It can't be any worse.

mrkgoo
Jan 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hi all
this is my first post and very glad to be a member of macrumours!

this morning I receieved my MacBook Air (revision a) from eBay for just 500!
As a result I was pleased to see I arrived in decent condition!
I have been an exclusive windows user for my entire life - and quite a proficent one at that often being subjected to crys for help from family and friends!

I love my iPhone and the whole ethos of apple and couldn't wait to get my first mac. Sadly my first 10ish hours with my mac have been dreadful. Read on to find out why...

When it arrived I noticed really bad shadowing on the screen. I went straight to the apple store who told me it would be a 300 repair. Thankfully it was down to post office negligence for which I am covered for!

Bad point number two was the complete inability to access my iTunes library on my windows 7 pc. It wouldn't recognise it on the mac at all!? Neither was it easy to simply access my shared folders.

I know I may be about to get shot down here as I'm sure a lot of people here will not be pleased I'm bad mouthing macs but I cannot comprehend why the red x and the orange - do virtually the same job!? I also don't understand why apple make it so hard to resize a window - I miss aero snap very much already!

I have also had the unit almost on constant charge all day an haven't come close to full charge!?

I haven't been able to install iLife as it quits half way through - something wrong with the package?

And after 10 hours of non stop struggle this laptop has completely ruined my enthusiasm for the product.

Can some one please tell me some of the benefits of having this laptopto take away some of the angst of today's disaster!!

I will inevitably calm down and try again tomorrow to set it up and start actually using it but today had been nothing more than a waste of time, energy and right now... Money.

Really dissapointed, I thought that from today I could call myself "a mac" as the term goes. Right now I'm considering tatooing PC to my forhead.

I will follow up tomorrow with how day two fares. It can't be any worse.

Is it secondhand? A lot of the experience of a mac can be lost if the computer is secondhand and left in a mess. For example, the average mac user never installs iLife, as it comes preinstalled on new machines.

There are ways to transfer your iTunes Library if you need to.

The red X is for closing a window (note, NOT the same as closing an application), the orange is for minimising to the dock. The window you minimised should shrink to the dock (if it hides behind the application icon, then a preference has been changed).

Resizing a window is certainly different in Mac OS X, and a major pain in the butt for people coming from windows. You either hate it, or learn to work around it. Personally, I don't mind.

As for AeroPeek, you have to think about Mac OS X's roots here. The dock and a lot of AeroPeek like functionality has been around since OS X came out (I think). It may not be as super refined as AeroPeek if you're thinking in a Windows frame of mind, but it works really well within Mac OS X. Hmm. Not sure what Aerosnap is.

The battery could be miscalibrated. Look up battery calibration and you'll get an idea. If it really is one of the frost MacBook Airs, and it has seen a lot of use, I would think the battery could be at the end of its useful life. That said, the power management unit of MacBooks are such that it tends NOT to charge if it has drained while plugged in, until it reaches about 95%. This is to prevent constant charging when it isn't necessary - so while plugged in it should hit 100%, then drain down to 95% before charging again.

Keep at it. The most important thing you can do is to not enter Mac OS X with a Windows frame of mind. Rather than wonder why it doesn't do something like Windows does, just learn more about the way a Mac does it. You'll hate some things for sure, but most of those things are just small preferential issues, nothing major.

thecreativ1
Jan 4, 2010, 04:14 PM
Sorry you're having such bad luck with your mac.

I can't comment on the Win7 iTunes sharing because I don't know the specifics of your network and Win7 computer.

The red button closes the window, and the orange one minimizes the window into the dock (the same location as the Windows taskbar would be on your PC). So they really are 2 different behaviors.

As for the battery not fully charging and the installer quitting--obviously that's not normal--Was the machine used? Perhaps you got a defective or mistreated computer? Maybe that's why it was listed for a lower price? My guess is that the factory warranty has expired, so you could look into getting a refund from the seller or from PayPal (if you used them).

Jophster
Jan 4, 2010, 04:29 PM
Hi both
thanks for the help! Im surprised I wasn't beat over the hea with a club or not praising all that is apple!
Yes the item was second hand and as you say, that may detract from being able to own such a pristine beautiful thing. Sadly there is no way I could afford an intel mac new.

It's in pretty good nick either way and I got a pretty amazing deal.
I think I might start from square one again. Clean install of SL, iLife and iworks and head into it all with a new frame
of mind.

The biggest issue which i overlooked when buying this is just how used to windows I am. I was 6 when I got my first pc and have used them ever since. It's a new feeling to be sat infront of a computer and not have much of an idea how to use it!

The main tangles like non installing software and the network problems really made the day slow and involved a lot of stabbing in the dark!
After I have a go at my second attempt if I hit the same problems I would be very grateful if I could get some guidance?

Thanks
joe.

jimboutilier
Jan 4, 2010, 04:42 PM
Assuming the MBA came with all its original install disk the first thing I would do would be to restore it to factory condition by booting from the OSX install disks, using disk utility to erase and repartition the drive and reinstall OS X and any other software with original media that came with the unit.

You never know whats on a used machine and I would never trust it until I did this. If you don't have a local DVD drive you can do this from a shared one or create an install image on an 8gb USB drive by using disk utility to RESTORE the original install disks to the USB drive (after reformatting the USB drive as HFS+ Journaled).

OS X is very different than Windows in many ways and there are "switcher" guides in many places to help you learn how to do in OS X many things you knew how to do in Windows. That should help a lot of your frustrations.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=393056

As to the battery you might want to download a copy of coconut battery and see what state the battery is in. As another user mentioned it may be at its end of life and need replacing. It may also need recalibrating (do a search for recalibrating your battery on a MBA).

Sorry you are having troubles and I hope you work things out. It may take a bit of time and effort but you may find the productivity the MAC offers worth the effort.

gnasher729
Jan 4, 2010, 04:46 PM
Right now I'm considering tatooing [sic] PC to my forhead [sic].

Photos, please. :D

Now the question: Did you post from a PC or from your Mac? In case you posted from your Mac, did you know that MacOS X has a system-wide multilingual spelling checker that works in Safari while you post?

coast1ja
Jan 4, 2010, 05:27 PM
Don't feel bad for not liking the Mac OS right away. I really like windows 7 and if I hadn't switched to OSX during the Vista days, I probably never would have. Believe me, once you get used to OSX you will like it just as much, if not better, than 7.

ARF900
Jan 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
First of all, do a complete restore of OS like said above.

Then download an app called cinch (Aerosnap for mac) (Free)

Now for your itunes library... win 7 is new so apple is still working some kinks with it I would assume. If you simply want to move the library to your mac, sync everything in your library to your phone, then press transfer purchases when prompted on the mac. If you have to big of a library just browse to the itunes place on your PC. I believe default location is

C:\Users\(YOUR NAME)\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\

At that location is a music folder, copy that in chunks, put it on something like an external HDD or flash drive, depending how big your drive is will depend how many trips you need to make. Any music that you did not purchase from itunes must be somewhere on your computer that you imported it with itunes. Same thing for these folders. Once you have these files on the mac, just put them in the music folder and add the whole folder to library in itunes.

Follow what im saying? P.S. dont use ebay for expensive purchases.

mrkgoo
Jan 4, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hi both
thanks for the help! Im surprised I wasn't beat over the hea with a club or not praising all that is apple!
Yes the item was second hand and as you say, that may detract from being able to own such a pristine beautiful thing. Sadly there is no way I could afford an intel mac new.

It's in pretty good nick either way and I got a pretty amazing deal.
I think I might start from square one again. Clean install of SL, iLife and iworks and head into it all with a new frame
of mind.

The biggest issue which i overlooked when buying this is just how used to windows I am. I was 6 when I got my first pc and have used them ever since. It's a new feeling to be sat infront of a computer and not have much of an idea how to use it!

The main tangles like non installing software and the network problems really made the day slow and involved a lot of stabbing in the dark!
After I have a go at my second attempt if I hit the same problems I would be very grateful if I could get some guidance?

Thanks
joe.

For sure there will be many differences. But think about the switch the other way - what would you say if I was concerned that I couldn't get used to Windows 'X' closing applications, and that they were on the right, or that the minimise/maximise is not what it's like on a Mac etc...

A lot of differences, but the small stuff is mostly preferential. The bigger stuff, like Time Machine and Spotlight will blow your mind.

rdowns
Jan 4, 2010, 06:52 PM
SOme good basic video here.

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/

eRondeau
Jan 4, 2010, 07:30 PM
So to review -- you bought a USED computer on eBay for a VERY LOW PRICE and now you're surprised that it doesn't work perfectly? Give me a break! Cavaet emptor, my friend. The previous owner could have dropped it in his hot tub for all you know. If you want the true Apple ownership experience, buy new. If you're willing to gamble your $$$, your enjoyment, and your satisfaction then by all means buy used -- but don't come crying to me that your used computer isn't new. :mad::mad::mad:

rdowns
Jan 4, 2010, 07:31 PM
So to review -- you bought a USED computer on eBay for a VERY LOW PRICE and now you're surprised that it doesn't work perfectly? Give me a break! Cavaet emptor, my friend. The previous owner could have dropped it in his hot tub for all you know. If you want the true Apple ownership experience, buy new. If you're willing to gamble your $$$, your enjoyment, and your satisfaction then by all means buy used -- but don't come crying to me that your used computer isn't new. :mad::mad::mad:

All part of the Apple user experience. :rolleyes:

thewireman
Jan 4, 2010, 07:43 PM

Ha ha, thats true.

ARF900
Jan 4, 2010, 07:43 PM

are you reffering to people taking people having problems with apple products personally? lol

Scottsdale
Jan 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
Well, you bought the worst Mac shipped by Apple since the Intel transition. That MBA is full of problems, and in my opinion, it shouldn't have ever been released. Finally, read the forums for reviews before you buy anything. The truth has been spoken thousands, no tens of thousands of times, about the original MBA's failures. The worst part is, you haven't even touched on the failing parts of the original MBA yet.

I owned an original MBA, and I believe everyone should consider all of the negatives long and hard before buying that Mac. If I were you, I would get a refund and buy a v 2,1 MBA. Unless you bought it for email, simple typing as a word processor, and EXTREMELY light web browsing (meaning NO FLASH or video), the original MBA will fail you. And the original MBA doesn't act or perform like a Mac... it's pretty to look at but it will fail you if you expect much of any performance from it. And that's sad because the REV 2,1 MBAs are so AMAZING. It's too bad Apple ever distributed those things because people are still getting screwed over two years later!

The truth is people shouldn't go that cheap and expect much from a Mac. Apple's Mac computers are EXPENSIVE. And the MBA might be the best value it has ever been at $1799. So use that as your way to get an "inexpensive" MacBook Air. Apple has reduced the price from $3099, and you get a 128 GB SSD, Nvidia GPU, Penryn CPU, SATA-II drive controller, and 2 GB of DDR3 RAM. That's a $1300 price drop! Figure that as the baseline of what you should buy... but you could buy refurbished even cheaper... $1349 USD for a 1.86 GHz Penryn SL9600 CPU, Nvidia 9400m, 128 GB SSD, and etc...

I think that people shouldn't expect much when they go cheaper than the already ridiculously low priced MBA.

I truly wish you a much better experience than you're probably going to get with that particular computer. I hope with whatever claims you're entitled to that you can get an actual functioning MBA that truly works for normal Mac computing. Next time, buy an MBA v 2,1. If you cannot/or don't want to spend the money for a real MBA, buy a MacBook.

Best wishes.

iDisk
Jan 4, 2010, 09:17 PM
WOW!! Just read your thread, I don't like hearing stories like this, but as I read further, I noticed this became less a Apple problem, but a YOU DIDN'T DO ENOUGH RESEARCH PROBLEM.

Like previous posters have said. You bought a SECOND HAND REV A MacBook Air... Here's the problem (based on the information provided):

Not enough research done on what actual MacBook Air to buy. (You should have asked the members here before buying, or at least searched the forums or google)

Buying off ebay

Buying Second Hand

Buying a Rev A (which would have been avoided if you did #1 ;) )

Buying cheap ( If a Macbook Air is cheaper then the normal on a used market, alerts should go off. Loose your I'm a cheap PC mentality when on the Mac Side)

Now how to remedy your situation.

Just take this as a learning experience due to your ignorance and lack of knowledge on what MacBook Air to buy.

If I were you I'd take your Rev A and make it into an experiment machine. Then buy a Rev B or C SSD model.

This is not the normal Apple experience and your frustrations are solely due to you. Don't blame Apple. Just know what to due next time you buy. ;)

The MacBook Air is the FUTURE OF COMPUTING it's just Apple forgot to put in the Airs box when it was first released that this version REV A is the (beta) some will work insanely great, some will not.

Welcome to Macrumors BTW ;)

iDisk

:apple:

macjunk(ie)
Jan 4, 2010, 09:33 PM
Hi both

I spent the last 3 days..installing win 7 on bootcamp, trying to convince myself that I can live on Win 7..(after all, most businesses speak only Microsoft :mad:). At 2 AM yesterday, I deleted my bootcamp partition and came back to my sweet ol' Snow Leopard. It felt soooo good!!! I would marry it if it was possible..:D

And this, after using Windows all my life..from the age of 6 and still use Windows in the office. Note that I have been a Mac user from 2007 (just over 2 years now...)...and not to mention...I have had my share of problems with the Mac..(hence my user name :rolleyes:)

The point I am trying to make is...most of us are resistant to change...but this change from Win to Mac is a good one...give it some time...you will grow to like it...like it so much that you will be willing to tattoo Mac all over your body :D

ARF900
Jan 4, 2010, 09:45 PM
Alot of people here are right, you cant look cheap to buy a mac. and honestly, you bought probably the worst mac that ever existed. compare the MBA to the 13 inch MBP. the MBP is twice as powerfull, cheaper, more ports, and its a about 1 cm thicker, thats it. the MBA is a total waste, and to buy a used first gen was a complete mistake. People who sell macs that cheap have something wrong or realized they shouldnt have bought it so they sell on ebay to get a chunk of money back, you shouldve post here before you purchased with a link to ebay, this wouldve been avoided.

Jophster
Jan 5, 2010, 02:01 AM
Hi All
Thanks for all the replies.
First I want to point out some little things that people may have side tracked:

1) The MacBook Air (Rev A) is currently the cheapest MacBook for purchase (using an Intel CPU) in marketplaces. (eBay, Amazon Used etc etc)

2) I understand that some people may think that to get the item for such a good price would most likely mean a fault with the unit. This is not the case, I have checked it out pretty thoroughly and it is in very good condition.

3) I understand it may not deliver the performance of the newer MBP but my plant was to buy the cheapest Mac I could find that I would actually want to use (Unibody only :D ). I didn't want a MacMini as I already have a very decent PC as my main computer.

I have been promised 1000 later in the year and I was setting extra money aside to buy the Core i5 27" iMac.
But before I put that kind of money into Steve Jobs' pocket I wanted to make sure that Mac OS X was the right thing for me.
This MBA is more like a simple stepping stone and a temporary one at that. I used to own a Desktop and a Netbook.
Now I have a PC Desktop and an MBA. I think that is a step up in any direction.

Regardless of whether the device is 2 years old or not, for a machine that 1200 new I would hope Apple designed it to work for a little longer. And the out of the box experience for me was poor - with regards to networking, I am sure I would suffer the same problems as with a new unit.

For me, this is my Netbook replacement AND a trial machine before I pay out big bucks for the stunning 27" iMac. (Which I will definitely get AppleCare with!)

The main reason for this thread was to vent my frustration, make my first post on MacRumours and premept some support when I need it come my second attempt at installation!

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions, I enjoyed reading them all. (Even if some did tell me to stop crying or to post pictures of the Windows Logo on my Forehead.)

Joe.

Belly-laughs
Jan 5, 2010, 02:38 AM
Nevermind the sceptics, do what other posters have said; start from scratch by reinstalling from the original DVD. Play around with it in "reblessed" mode to get a feel of what it's like at base level. Add apps and utilities one by one, little by little to prevent confusion as to which install may have caused a problem.

There's no reason a cheap Mac can't give you a good experience, especially if the hardware is sound. Just don't expect a speed demon, it never was.

Welcome to the Mac and MacRumors communities.

JonTok
Jan 5, 2010, 05:19 AM
I have to agree with iDisk; the Rev A Macbook Air was mostly rubbish and not fit for purpose. I sold my Rev A for about that much after 6 months; the fans were on all the time and it was painfully slow + playing videos on YouTube just was impossible + the battery took all night to charge. However, it was beautiful - I'll give it that much.

For 700 you could buy a new white MacBook (refurb store?) and be infinitely better off with a 7-hour battery that charges in about 80 minutes and a computer that plays videos and is twice as fast. For the 500 you paid blind, you've got a computer with no guarantee. I don't think I've read much on MacRumors that actually supports the Rev A MBA, and there are plenty of reasons for that. A cautionary tale here, folks.

Gadgetman99
Jan 5, 2010, 05:23 AM
Nevermind the sceptics, do what other posters have said; start from scratch by reinstalling from the original DVD. Play around with it in "reblessed" mode to get a feel of what it's like at base level. Add apps and utilities one by one, little by little to prevent confusion as to which install may have caused a problem.

There's no reason a cheap Mac can't give you a good experience, especially if the hardware is sound. Just don't expect a speed demon, it never was.

Welcome to the Mac and MacRumors communities.

The best post yet! I agree. Wipe and reinstall the OS to get the best experience possible (on a Rev A MBA). Also, feel good about the fact that you spent less then half of what many others did to get a Rev A MBA, with all it's issues. Also, understand that ebay is not always the best route for deals, or with a little leg work, you can wrangle a better deal. My Rev B (sealed and brand new) was about the same (or a tad less) then your used Rev A (long story short, I too got a Rev A off ebay, and got Bing cash back, then sold it on ebay for more, then got a new one at Best Buy on clearance, net cost for the new one with Snow Leopard was $699).

Mr. Zarniwoop
Jan 5, 2010, 06:27 AM
Alot of people here are right, you cant look cheap to buy a mac. and honestly, you bought probably the worst mac that ever existed.
I have a different opinion. I bought a MacBook Air rev A shortly after it was released. Recently, I even put a little money into it and replaced the hard disk with a RunCore SSD because this machine is still my "daily driver". I carry it everywhere, use it constantly, and in general am still happy with it.

Two corners are a little dinged up. I do run CoolBook but set it up years ago and haven't thought about it since.

You may bash it but it's still my favorite Mac of all that I've owned, including a bunch of PowerMacs, a Mac Pro, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. It's so light and thin that it's changed how I use a personal computer, having it around at all times in all places. I realize the specs in a MacBook Air rev B/C are a little better, but it's not been compelling enough to spend the money. Maybe rev D will finally get me to let it go? :)

jimboutilier
Jan 5, 2010, 09:30 AM
I have a different opinion. I bought a MacBook Air rev A shortly after it was released. Recently, I even put a little money into it and replaced the hard disk with a RunCore SSD because this machine is still my "daily driver". I carry it everywhere, use it constantly, and in general am still happy with it.

Two corners are a little dinged up. I do run CoolBook but set it up years ago and haven't thought about it since.

You may bash it but it's still my favorite Mac of all that I've owned, including a bunch of PowerMacs, a Mac Pro, a MacBook and a MacBook Pro. It's so light and thin that it's changed how I use a personal computer, having it around at all times in all places. I realize the specs in a MacBook Air rev B/C are a little better, but it's not been compelling enough to spend the money. Maybe rev D will finally get me to let it go? :)

I'm with you. I never had a lick of trouble with my MBA RevA, used it as my primary business machine for a year and the only reason I went away from it was I could not live within its drive space limitation at the time. Now there are some great options for more storage space and faster storage space that can breathe new life into it for many.

The RevA is no powerhouse but it should easily replace a Netbook and with a little tuning can easily be a great second machine for many people.

When you reinstall the OS don't forget to use Disk utility to erase the old volume first as it can impact the new install.

Pelorus
Jan 5, 2010, 09:42 AM
Check out your local Mac user group too?

My local does a lot of support for free, leaving the harder stuff to our local AASP (faster and better than the Apple Store)

Jophster
Jan 5, 2010, 10:54 AM
Hi Everyone!
Thanks for the posts.

I have just done a re install and this thing is working really well now!
I think I yanked out the DVD a little too early last time.

So happy I own a Mac, regardless of how good it maybe!?
Now, time to tangle with the operating system!

Thanks everyone!

McDughf
Jan 5, 2010, 11:35 AM
I'm glad you like it Joe. I was actually surprised at some of the responses here on this thread.

I guess some people forget that

a) not everyone can afford a new Mac
b) Everyone buys on impulse now and then - its just the rush I guess ;)

I remember when at a SFX convention many years back, the two divided camps were Definately PC Lovers and Mac People. I owned both systems back then so it wasn't really much of a big deal.
The difference was, when I talked to any PC Owner, their first instinct was :
"So, What Spec Are you running" and no matter what your response was, it was followed by a
"Haaaaa, I've got so and so" {which is better then yours - not actually said but heavily implied...}

Then I would go talk to some Apple People, and when the topic of systems came up, I would say I have an Apple Mac. The Response Was always "Welcome Friend" or similar vein.

Seems like the good old days are starting to get forgotten, the day Apple stopped putting "Welcome To Macintosh" On the OS Loading Screens...

So, I hope this is the start of a beautiful friendship Between You And your first, and since you missed it at the Apple Store I guess I'll Say it instead :

"Enjoy Your Mac!":)

Barney

patrixl
Jan 5, 2010, 11:47 AM
I remember when at a SFX convention many years back, the two divided camps were Definately PC Lovers and Mac People. I owned both systems back then so it wasn't really much of a big deal.
The difference was, when I talked to any PC Owner, their first instinct was :
"So, What Spec Are you running" and no matter what your response was, it was followed by a
"Haaaaa, I've got so and so" {which is better then yours - not actually said but heavily implied...}

It's like I always say, specs is what sells PCs, while usefulness and friendliness is what sells Macs - something that can't be rated easily with money, while specs can.

Seems like the good old days are starting to get forgotten, the day Apple stopped putting "Welcome To Macintosh" On the OS Loading Screens...

Then again the initial screen has "welcome" in like 10 different languages, though it only does it once (thankfully).

Patrix.

duke49er
Jan 5, 2010, 12:15 PM
So to recap:

You bought a used product from eBay and it's not working properly coupled with the fact you don't know how to use certain features and this is Apple's fault?

Yes my friend, you ARE a PC.

Jophster
Jan 5, 2010, 12:20 PM
This machine really is ideal for what I want it for.
It is a step up from my netbook but still not quite good enough to warrant sale of my beloved desktop!
The OS is certainly proving quite a steep learning curve and slowing me down but now I am on Safari things are pretty much the same everywhere.

A few questions hopefully some people can solve for me...

Firstly, I am finding the machine just a tad too hot for lap use, I have heard stories of these original models being ridiculously hot so far its just a little uncomfortable; can anyone recommend something to cool it down a little more?

Secondly, I have realised that now I have two actual computers (my netbook didn't warrant this...) I am in desperate need of a NAS for storage of all my video and music etc etc.

For the mean time while I am repaying debts from buying this, I want to simply be able to play my iTunes music from my Windows Desktop.
I would have thought that it would have been simple using iTunes built in sharing service but it is not the case.

I can see my MBA Shared Library on the PC but not vice versa, any ideas?

Thirdly, I have quite quickly noticed the absence of a second mouse button, should I just use the two finger tap or is it a habbit I should try to cull and find alternatives?

Thanks for all the help! This kind of forum is definitely lacking in the Windows Community!

thejadedmonkey
Jan 5, 2010, 12:39 PM
Make sure that your desktop is sharing music in iTunes, and also make sure that the Macbook Air is set to look for shared libraries. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling iTunes on the PC, as it needs about 3 or 4 startup services to work properly and it's very easy to disable it without meaning to.

And just get used to the 2-finger right click. It's really nice once you adjust... better then a separate mouse, although I still miss my right trackpad button about 2.5 years later... :(

couto27
Jan 5, 2010, 12:42 PM
hi

i would like to to share my story has well.
i bought a macbook air rev A for my girlfriend in christmas, 500 on ebay.uk the auction states ,pristine condiction ,not a single problem , and it was true.

i like so much that , after a few hours using it , i bought a second macbook air rev A , has well in ebay.uk for myselft , this time the auction was a little more expensive 620. but with original microsoft office 2008, ilife 2009 and a superdrive.

i didnt find any hardware problem ,the screen looks great, no marks , both are in great condition.
both came with their original box and dvd's cables etc.

i made the hardware test on both and theres no problems

i made a new install mac osx in both macbook air using utility disk erase 35 times (some users arent aware of this when doing a fresh install)

my girlfriends air has 220 cycles in battery , mine has 40 cycles only

i couldnt be more happier with both mb air.:D

right now the air is a great bargain , 3 hours of battery is more than enough , the performance is great for the average user.

the only upgrade will be doing in a few months will be a 128ss runcore.:D

i just dont understand why some people just complain that much.:confused:

ayeying
Jan 5, 2010, 12:45 PM
hi

i would like to to share my story has well.
i bought a macbook air rev A for my girlfriend in christmas, 500 on ebay.uk the auction states ,pristine condiction ,not a single problem , and it was true.

i like so much that , after a few hours using it , i bought a second macbook air rev A , has well in ebay.uk for myselft , this time the auction was a little more expensive 620. but with original microsoft office 2008, ilife 2009 and a superdrive.

i didnt find any hardware problem ,the screen looks great, no marks , both are in great condition.
both came with their original box and dvd's cables etc.

i made the hardware test on both and theres no problems

i made a new install mac osx in both macbook air using utility disk erase 35 times (some users arent aware of this when doing a fresh install)

my girlfriends air has 220 cycles in battery , mine has 40 cycles only

i couldnt be more happier with both mb air.:D

right now the air is a great bargain , 3 hours of battery is more than enough , the performance is great for the average user.

the only upgrade will be doing in a few months will be a 128ss runcore.:D

i just dont understand why some people just complain that much.:confused:

35 times is a little excessive... and it can take a very long time. Just a regular zeroing hard drive with 1 pass is fine. That includes SSD users also.

Jophster
Jan 5, 2010, 12:49 PM
Make sure that your desktop is sharing music in iTunes, and also make sure that the Macbook Air is set to look for shared libraries. If that doesn't work, try reinstalling iTunes on the PC, as it needs about 3 or 4 startup services to work properly and it's very easy to disable it without meaning to.

And just get used to the 2-finger right click. It's really nice once you adjust... better then a separate mouse, although I still miss my right trackpad button about 2.5 years later... :(

Hi Thanks for that, I will try reinstalling iTunes on the PC but I genuinely don't think that is the problem.
I think it is more to do with a networking issue.

Anyone have any ideas on cooling the machine down?

Thanks!

smirk
Jan 5, 2010, 01:32 PM
Hi Thanks for that, I will try reinstalling iTunes on the PC but I genuinely don't think that is the problem.
I think it is more to do with a networking issue.

Could it be a Windows 7 firewall issue?

Jophster
Jan 5, 2010, 02:22 PM
Could it be a Windows 7 firewall issue?

Hi
Weirdly, it seems to have just appeared in my Mac's iTunes sidebar!
Not complaining, maybe it just needed a bit of time to recognise?
N.B I did change DHCP service into a manual IP on the Mac.

Ok so, last question, I need to find a way to cool down my mac, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!
Joe

Gadgetman99
Jan 5, 2010, 03:07 PM
This machine really is ideal for what I want it for.
It is a step up from my netbook but still not quite good enough to warrant sale of my beloved desktop!
The OS is certainly proving quite a steep learning curve and slowing me down but now I am on Safari things are pretty much the same everywhere.

snip!

You will love it. Like I said in an earlier post, I too got a Rev A off ebay a few months ago. The person I got it from had already reformatted and reinstalled the OS before shipping (and left it in sleep mode at the setup screen). I had the unboxing experience and it really felt new. I had no idea about the different revs at the time and quickly found out about the hinge issue and slower graphics on the Rev A. The following week I was in Best Buy and they had their Rev B's on clearance, so I got one and sold my Rev A on ebay (and even reinstalled so the next person would get the "new" feeling too). At the price you paid, I am sure you will be happy. Like you said, better then a netbook. So enjoy, and welcome to the Mac world!

stoconnell
Jan 5, 2010, 04:17 PM
Anyone have any ideas on cooling the machine down?

Thanks!

There are a lot of threads on this forum regarding coping strategies to cool down the MBA (esp. the Rev A). Some things to try .. in no particular order

1) Purchase Coolbook to undervolt the CPU
2) Reapply thermal paste
3) Use click2flash plugin on the browser
4) Use one of the laptop stand/pad things with a fan in it
5) Only rest the taper on your legs, which has the benefit of keeping the vent uncovered.

couto27
Jan 5, 2010, 04:23 PM
Hi
Weirdly, it seems to have just appeared in my Mac's iTunes sidebar!
Not complaining, maybe it just needed a bit of time to recognise?
N.B I did change DHCP service into a manual IP on the Mac.

Ok so, last question, I need to find a way to cool down my mac, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!
Joe
My air doesnt get hot unless i use it in my bed.
Cool down a MacBook air in winter?are you sure? Whats the average temp of your house...

Gadgetman99
Jan 5, 2010, 05:24 PM
There are a lot of threads on this forum regarding coping strategies to cool down the MBA (esp. the Rev A). Some things to try .. in no particular order

2) Reapply thermal paste
5) Only rest the taper on your legs, which has the benefit of keeping the vent uncovered.

I use a Targus dual fan laptop pad when watching flash video (youtube). Seems to keep it cool enough to deal with.

ARF900
Jan 5, 2010, 06:39 PM
As you stated yourself there were a lot of problems with 1st gen air, I dont know what to tell you about cooling, a fan just wouldnt do it as it is unibody.

As for two finger click its really a preference. You can go in system preferences and set it up so pressing the bottom right corner of the trackpad will be a right click. whatever habit you want to get into. Personally I love two finger click, after you get used to it its great.

daze
Jan 5, 2010, 07:24 PM
I don't mean to hit the original poster on the head but buying anything used has certain drawbacks which he/she has already run in to. Live and learn.

As for getting used to how OS X works? Well, give it time and it may even grown on you. As others have pointed out, reinstall the OS, and everything else with it. You should then have much fewer problems. Since you come from a Windows background, you should be used to reinstalling operating systems several times by now. ;)

Otherwise, welcome to the other side, the non-dark side.

Daze

colourfastt
Jan 5, 2010, 07:56 PM
My groat: go to the nearest bookstore and buy a book on using OS X. Most of them are written for the beginning user and are quite helpful, and will answer most of your questions. A must for switchers.

coast1ja
Jan 5, 2010, 09:43 PM
I like that you bring up the benefits of an MBA compared to a netbook. I stepped up from a netbook to a Rev. A and now to a Rev. B. There was a HUGE difference between the netbook and Rev. A. Most people, including most mac users think the MBA is a total slouch (especially the Rev. A). I am currently typing on a 2.66 15" MBP with a 256gb SSD... and for the majority of users, I wouldn't really expect much of a difference in productivity. The MBA could serve as a primary machine for most people. I would not suggest it for video editing or running VMs, but most people just use office apps and browse the web, so for the average user, the MBA is all you need! I'm glad you like your new MBAs, and you will like them more and more!

colourfastt
Jan 5, 2010, 09:48 PM
I like that you bring up the benefits of an MBA compared to a netbook. I stepped up from a netbook to a Rev. A and now to a Rev. B. There was a HUGE difference between the netbook and Rev. A. Most people, including most mac users think the MBA is a total slouch (especially the Rev. A). I am currently typing on a 2.66 15" MBP with a 256gb SSD... and for the majority of users, I wouldn't really expect much of a difference in productivity. The MBA could serve as a primary machine for most people. I would not suggest it for video editing or running VMs, but most people just use office apps and browse the web, so for the average user, the MBA is all you need! I'm glad you like your new MBAs, and you will like them more and more!

I bought a Rev C a few months ago and now I almost never turn on my MBP. The Air is so much better.

Scottsdale
Jan 5, 2010, 11:24 PM

2) Reapply thermal paste

YOU REALLY THINK THAT IS WHAT A MAC BUYER SHOULD HAVE TO DO? That's a major problem... the original MBA was/is junk. If one cannot afford to buy a v 2,1 MBA I say they buy a MacBook. If cannot afford a MacBook, buy a PC. The first MBA was pretty to look at, but it wasn't like you could even watch a video on that "beautiful" display. Other than that... it was a blazing inferno... far too hot to run normally or act as all other Macs could during normal operation.

Bottom line is Apple couldn't overcome the Merom CPU taking too much power and running too hot, the 3100 Intel graphics that was a dog and incapable of successful video playback paired with the CPU, the PATA drive connector limiting throughput and PATA drive that has truly limited space, the slower RAM, and the combination of failures that didn't allow it to be a "Mac." Anyone that has to go through the list you're advising isn't a NORMAL MAC BUYER! And that is the problem. The original wasn't intended for the buyers who are now using it. And the tech enthusiasts like you are only okay with all of the failures because it was so inexpensive compared to the original $3099 price tag. The average/normal Mac user cannot or doesn't want to do all of that, they just want their Mac to work. Look at what this OP has gone through... it's insane!

Yes it was beautiful to look at but otherwise fairly useless other than to consider it a fancy typewriter/basic word processor. Sure there are some that are going to disagree with my assessment but think about yourself that loves the original MBA, AT THAT MASSIVELY DISCOUNTED PRICE POINT, and think about the average work required to use a Mac... does it make sense to do all of these things on this list that still cannot overcome the original MBA's inherent component problematic makeup?

Lloyd Christmas
Jan 5, 2010, 11:45 PM
you get what you pay for Lloyd

Jophster
Jan 6, 2010, 02:23 AM
A lot of people are having conversing views on my purchase.
Here is my view:

The MBA Rev A is the cheapest MacBook you can buy with an INTEL CPU.
It is the cheapest laptop they sell that is cast in Aluminium.
It is the ultimate upgrade from a netbook.

And for 200 it is the best bargain I have ever found. (Including 300 compensation from delivery service)

For me, this is also only a test machine, to see if I like OS X amongst other things, because I am planning to buy a 27" iMac in June.

People who think I was wrong to buy this, there maybe some essence in that, but for now, I am loving it very much and it is nice to have a second machine again.

I am going to start another thread about a few more hours into the experience.
Feel free to participate in that too!

playalistic
Jan 6, 2010, 05:21 AM
YOU REALLY THINK THAT IS WHAT A MAC BUYER SHOULD HAVE TO DO? That's a major problem... the original MBA was/is junk. If one cannot afford to buy a v 2,1 MBA I say they buy a MacBook. If cannot afford a MacBook, buy a PC. The first MBA was pretty to look at, but it wasn't like you could even watch a video on that "beautiful" display. Other than that... it was a blazing inferno... far too hot to run normally or act as all other Macs could during normal operation.

Bottom line is Apple couldn't overcome the Merom CPU taking too much power and running too hot, the 3100 Intel graphics that was a dog and incapable of successful video playback paired with the CPU, the PATA drive connector limiting throughput and PATA drive that has truly limited space, the slower RAM, and the combination of failures that didn't allow it to be a "Mac." Anyone that has to go through the list you're advising isn't a NORMAL MAC BUYER! And that is the problem. The original wasn't intended for the buyers who are now using it. And the tech enthusiasts like you are only okay with all of the failures because it was so inexpensive compared to the original $3099 price tag. The average/normal Mac user cannot or doesn't want to do all of that, they just want their Mac to work. Look at what this OP has gone through... it's insane!

Yes it was beautiful to look at but otherwise fairly useless other than to consider it a fancy typewriter/basic word processor. Sure there are some that are going to disagree with my assessment but think about yourself that loves the original MBA, AT THAT MASSIVELY DISCOUNTED PRICE POINT, and think about the average work required to use a Mac... does it make sense to do all of these things on this list that still cannot overcome the original MBA's inherent component problematic makeup?

cosign! ++

stoconnell
Jan 6, 2010, 07:31 AM
YOU REALLY THINK THAT IS WHAT A MAC BUYER SHOULD HAVE TO DO?

I understand you have issues with people who buy the Rev A. We get it, really. The OP asked a question (several times), and I answered with a summary of various ways other people have employed to help mitigate the "limitations" with this model off the top of my head. You tend to assume all people's uses, budgets and needs align with yours. I do think it's a shame that the Rev A units were overpriced and underperforming at the time of the their release. I am a bit annoyed with the price drop from the October 2008 models to the June 2009.

Jophster
Jan 6, 2010, 07:41 AM
Hi
I understand there are a lot of people who don't like MBA Rev 1s.
I read all about it before my purchase.

But the limitations that come with it are minor for my uses:

I wanted a Mac OS X Machine that was light & portable, mainly for web browsing and getting to know the OS before a larger Apple purchase.

So far, it has checked every box.
There have been plenty of problems to sort out, but quite honestly, for 200, its just a crazy bargain! You can't make a single argument that would counter the price tag.

My MBA is taking a while to charge though, and while I am analysing some video in iMovie (Not a common task for it but just to check it out) it says NOT CHARGING in the top right of my screen. Before that it was an estimated 7 Hour charge time.
It was a very common problem at time of launch, anything done to solve it now? Are Apple doing anything about it?

thanks.
Joe.

Mr. Zarniwoop
Jan 6, 2010, 08:36 AM
My MBA is taking a while to charge though, and while I am analysing some video in iMovie (Not a common task for it but just to check it out) it says NOT CHARGING in the top right of my screen. Before that it was an estimated 7 Hour charge time.
It was a very common problem at time of launch, anything done to solve it now? Are Apple doing anything about it?
I have not seen this problem with my MacBook Air rev A. However, it sounds like an identical issue I had with a white MacBook that was out of warranty. I took it to an Apple Store, they fixed it the same day and only charged $12 for a charging-related part inside the laptop.

jimboutilier
Jan 6, 2010, 09:28 AM

No one should have to do those things on any notebook, let alone a premium one. And I can't imagine anyone having to do many of these things would be very happy with their laptop. I know I wouldn't I know you weren't. I know many of the folks that has such issues on these forums weren't.

But you know what? The MBA RevA sold quite well (hundreds of thousands of units). And customer satisfaction surveys said the vast majority of users were very happy with their RevA (high 90's).

So while some units had problems, and the MBA (like many thin and light or ultra portables) was not suitable for everyone or every purpose, and while the MBA is the most specialized and limited MAC in many ways - it was and is a sales and satisfaction success.

As to some of the "technical arguments" mentioned

a) I played many videos on my MBA RevA in Quicktime and VLC without issue - as did many other folks. Some from iTunes and some ripped via Handbrake. Millions of laptops were sold with a mermon and intel 3100 combo and they could play video too. So your "can't play video" comment is rubbish.

b) The PATA interface did not limit the drive speed in the MBA whatsoever. Neither the 1.8" 4200rpm HD, nor the 64gb SSD shipped with the MBA RevA was capable of throughput even approaching the PATA interface limitation. No 1.8" HDD is even today (although some of the faster SLC SSD's are) could. Again millions of laptops all over the world were shipped with PATA interfaces so its not really a "design defect" for the AIR or anything else.
c) You got me on the limited disk space thing. Not a lot of room in the worlds thinest laptop at the time. Its the reason I went away from the AIR for a while. But for many folks 64gb or 80gb was NOT an issue.
d) Limited RAM speed? It was DDR2 RAM most common in mainstream laptops at the time. What was limited about it? Bus speed maybe? Again the 800mhz common to the millions or Mermon cpu'd laptops sold at the time. What was limited?

So enough with the gross exaggerations, generalizations, technical inaccuracies, and general irrationality with respect to the MBA RevA.

I understand you had a bad time of it and the RevA was not the machine for you. I understand it was not perfect. But your experience is not everyone's and you are doing yourself and the community a disservice when you make extreme posts like this.

Scottsdale
Jan 6, 2010, 11:58 AM
I understand you have issues with people who buy the Rev A. We get it, really. The OP asked a question (several times), and I answered with a summary of various ways other people have employed to help mitigate the "limitations" with this model off the top of my head. You tend to assume all people's uses, budgets and needs align with yours. I do think it's a shame that the Rev A units were overpriced and underperforming at the time of the their release. I am a bit annoyed with the price drop from the October 2008 models to the June 2009.

No, first and foremost I blame APPLE for releasing and selling the original MBA that wasn't ready and had a component makeup that would cause massive overheating and failure to perform even basic tasks. I also blame Steve Jobs for blatantly lying to all of us when he introduced the MBA. He failed to disclose that it wasn't a "Mac" in the sense of all previous Macs. It didn't "just work" and these lists people use to try to make it somewhat usable prove that. A lot of people lost faith in Jobs and Apple over this original MBA we are still discussing for all of the wrong reasons. I know people that bought the original MBA and would never give the MBA another chance and others that will never give Apple another chance. It was a massive failure to sell MBAs priced at $1799 to $3099 that didn't "just work." They didn't work like a Mac user expected and this led to widespread problems.

The "LIST" of what an original MBA buyer has to do isn't normal for a Mac product to become usable. The vast majority of MAC buyers don't want to have to follow a list to make their new Mac work. The point is it takes a special person to completely understand what they're getting for the substantially discounted price and what they have to do to HOPEFULLY make it usable knowing full well that it will only be usable in a limited sense more like a netbook; albeit it's not a netbook it certainly has far better components, design, and potential. The problem is the combined implementation of components ruins the performance and makes the user experience poor compared to what is possible.

The possibilities are instantly understood by someone who has used a v 2,1 MBA. The vast majority are probably honestly using the original MBA as a word processor and email console. Compare that to v 2,1 MBA owners who have a Intel Penryn SL9x00 Low Voltage CPU, Nvidia 9400m GPU, SATA-II Drive Controller and DOUBLE THE DRIVE SPACE SSD, DDR3 1066 MHz RAM, and etc. The 2,1 MBA owner can use their MBA to do nearly anything a MacBook can do, usually faster with the SSD. The difference is greater than night and day for someone who intends to use the MBA as they would any Mac. For someone using the original MBA as a word processor or to check basic email, there is no advantage to buying a v 2,1 MBA at a much higher cost. There are some buying the MBA that are fine with the MBA doing basic tasks as a secondary computer for traveling purposes. People should fully understand what they're buying in advance, so I believe it's fair to disclose this information.

In my eyes someone is probably uninformed if they want to buy a rev 1,1 MBA for $999 to $1199 rather than buying a refurbished rev 2,1 MBA for $1349 with 1.86 GHz Penryn, 9400m graphics with 5x the performance making the MBA usable as a Mac, 128 GB SSD, DDR3 RAM, and etc. THIS IS THE REAL PROBLEM. People simply don't understand, don't learn before buying, cannot get the value proposition, or don't want to pay an extra 35% for a truly amazing Mac. Another problem is people that still see the original MBA as a great value because it was $1799 to $3099 when it was introduced. What they should be comparing is the differences between v 1,1 and 2,1 and the tiny price difference now after Apple has slashed the pricing twice cutting the v 2,1 refurbished MBA with Penryn, Nvidia, and 128 GB SSD down to a mere $1349!

I would compare the potential for the original MBA versus the potential for the v 2,1 MBA. Also consider whether the MBA is to be a primary Mac or secondary Mac not needed but wanted for travel to the couch or on a plane. For anyone truly wanting to use their MBA, they need a v 2,1 MBA and should compare the prices between the two and the vast difference in capabilities.

Let's face it, a lot of people are buying the original MBA at a bargain price to be a member of the club. Some people want the look of an MBA owner and are willing to sacrifice greatly in performance to get the discount and ownership at around $999 USD. The problem is the savings are minor compared to buying a v 2,1 MBA that can truly perform like a Mac for only $350 more. But if they make an informed decision at least they know what they're getting for their money. It seemed this OP didn't realize the difference and just wanted a bargain. Did he even get a bargain? What does the price work out to compared to the USD?

Apple has already taken the hit and dropped the price of the MBA so far that the current price for a new MBA should already be seen as the discount and people shouldn't try to save even more money unless they truly only need the MBA for extremely light duty use as a secondary Mac.

I haven't replied to one of these types of threads for a long time, and some of you remember my take on the original MBA. Some completely disagree, and I fully respect that and have listened to all sides of the argument. At the same time, I think it's fair for a v 1,1 MBA buyer (myself) to fully disclose all of the problems of the original MBA now two years later. We shouldn't simply turn our heads the other way and ignore the truth just because some are okay with paying $999 for a computer that cannot do much,, and they have to follow a list of technical workaround solutions, to be a part of the club and save money over the original cost of the original MBA. They are forgetting that the majority of MBA buyers want their MBA to just work.

THOSE PEOPLE BUYING THE ORIGINAL MBA THAT DON'T UNDERSTAND THE PROBLEMS OF THE ORIGINAL MBA NEED TO BE WARNED. THEY NEED TO BE WARNED THAT THEY WILL HAVE TO FOLLOW THIS "LIST" OF POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS TO MAKE THE MBA SOMEWHAT USABLE. THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT THE COMPARISON SHOULDN'T BE WHAT THE ORIGINAL MBA COST NEW TWO YEARS AGO VERSUS WHAT IT COSTS TODAY. THE ORIGINAL MBA SHOULD COMPARED BY VALUE OF NEEDS OF WHAT IT HAS TO DO FOR THE DISCOUNTED COSTS VERSUS WHAT A V 2,1 MBA COSTS AND WHAT IT IS CAPABLE OF FOR SLIGHTLY MORE MONEY.

Now I am done with this argument. I just wanted to make it available again for people that are now still considering an original MBA two years later. The original MBA is full of problems and the intended target market for the MBA should buy a v 2,1 MBA. The savings is built-in to the cost at already a hugely discounted price. Apple has taken the hit and the loss of potential pricing due to the economic collapse. Take advantage of Apple by taking them up on their hugely discounted prices on a v 2,1 MBA. For $1349 one can buy a refurbished (like new with full waranty) v 2,1 MBA with a 1.86 GHz CPU, Nvidia 9400m GPU, and a double data capacity 128 GB SATA-II SSD. Or for $1549 can buy a refurbished 2.13 GHz MBA. Or for $1799 can buy that MBA brand new in a sealed box.

Bottom line... if you're considering buying an MBA, read about all of the issues with the original MBA before you buy. Don't get trapped into thinking the original MBA will be anything like the v 2,1 MBA if you follow a list... it takes more than a list to overcome its problematic component makeup. Consider the value of what you're getting for the price. If you need/want to use the MBA as your primary computer, buy a v 2,1 for certain. If you just want a really cool looking MBA and you're a writer wanting to write books on it, the original MBA may be the absolute perfect solution for you!

Just don't get trapped by buying an original MBA thinking that it will perform like you hear/read from v 2,1 MBA owners; the component makeup changes the possibilities. Also consider the long-run or total cost of ownership. Some people buy the v 1,1 MBA at a $350 discount and say they'll just buy a new one in a year or two. Some even say they will be able to get a bigger discount on a v 2,1 MBA once the 3,1 MBA is released. Playing catch up with technology costs the most and you're always behind the curve ensuring you will lose even more money on resale sales prices. Consider that the original is already limited in its potential while the v 2,1 MBA will be running strong long past two years.

Good luck whichever MBA you end up buying! I truly wish everyone the best for their needs/wants/uses.

ayeying
Jan 6, 2010, 12:17 PM
Good luck whichever MBA you end up buying! I truly wish everyone the best for their needs/wants/uses.

OP said he's fine with a Rev. A, so why the rant? Let the OP be. You already made yourself clear in countless posts already.

If you really wish the best, then you'd respect the OP for his/her decision and not just bash on it.

js81
Jan 6, 2010, 12:49 PM
Don't feel bad for not liking the Mac OS right away. I really like windows 7 and if I hadn't switched to OSX during the Vista days, I probably never would have.

As bad as I hate to admit it, this is probably true for me, too. :D But I love my Mac and can't imagine switching back. The variety of hardware tempts me (notice I didn't say price), but not to the point of actually doing it. And why would I? My Mac makes a dandy Windows 7 machine anyway... :p

couto27
Jan 6, 2010, 01:17 PM
I have not seen this problem with my MacBook Air rev A. However, it sounds like an identical issue I had with a white MacBook that was out of warranty. I took it to an Apple Store, they fixed it the same day and only charged $12 for a charging-related part inside the laptop.

model fev 2008
cycles 240
condition good
battery 4 hours in high performance
charges 100% in 2 hours

model april 2008
cycles 40
condition good
battery 3 hours in high performance
charges 100% in 3 hours

take my example , your battery charging time only depends if the previous owner gave a good maintenance use.

apple advice at least once a month to drain the battery completly and let it rest for 5 hours before charge it again.

Jophster
Jan 6, 2010, 04:16 PM
OP said he's fine with a Rev. A, so why the rant? Let the OP be. You already made yourself clear in countless posts already.

If you really wish the best, then you'd respect the OP for his/her decision and not just bash on it.

Thanks for the comments mate!

Wow, its really clear that the MBA is a disputed topic in the Apple world.
As I said before, I love it that little bit more every time I use it!

I am thinking of putting an SSD in it, but for 130 (64GB No-Name Brand) am I going to see enough difference to offset the price?

I think I might be better spending it on a NAS I so desperately need!

stoconnell
Jan 6, 2010, 04:41 PM

I am thinking of putting an SSD in it, but for 130 (64GB No-Name Brand) am I going to see enough difference to offset the price?

You might consider the Runcore PATA/ZIF options. There are a bunch of threads where people tried to use no-name SSDs and either had no success or the performance gain was marginal. This forum does have a wealth of info replacement SSDs for Rev A MacBook Airs.

Clix Pix
Jan 6, 2010, 04:57 PM
I bought the first-gen MacBook Air the week it finally became available in my local Apple store. I went with the SSD version. Yes, I knew that there were going to be limitations on what I could do with that machine but in my case it was not important, as this was NOT my only Mac, this was NOT a machine upon which I'd be dependent for storing all of my important files, this was NOT a machine which I expected to use for more than emails/web-surfing/occasional YouTube video viewing. I've been very happy with my little MBA and I use it on a nightly basis at home -- when I retire to the bedroom at around 10:00 PM I pick it up and use it -- and I use it for toting around town or around the country when I travel. Sure, there have been times when I've been a little frustrated with the sole USB port and there have been times when I've really wished for more HD space, but I accept the machine for what it does and don't worry about what it is not meant to do.

I've gone on photographic trips and have taken both the MBA and my larger, heavier, MBP. The 17" MBP does the "heavy lifting" of sucking in all the images from my memory cards and stashing them and while it's doing that I'm happily doing email or web-surfing in another room with the MBA. Sure, I obviously don't NEED to take both computers along but since I've got them, why not?! At home, in the summers the MBA goes out to the deck with me and I surf the web and catch up on email while sitting out there enjoying nice weather. My MBA also quickly pops into my tote bag if I'm going to see friends or going to hang out at a coffee shop or somewhere else. Not long ago I went to help a friend set up a new Mac. I took my MBA along and when she asked why, I explained that sometimes if questions arise it's handy to have a second machine available. Carrying the MBA is almost like carrying nothing, it's that lightweight, so I take it with me many times when I otherwise would never consider taking along the 17" MBP (or, even, back when I had it, a 15" MBP).

I LOVE my MBA!

jimboutilier
Jan 6, 2010, 07:19 PM

The MBA had been the most polarizing Apple product I've seen in many years. People tend to love it (they live within its limitations) or hate it (they can't live within its limitations). It compromises a lot for mobility and is the least mainstream/general purpose MAC so is not for everyone.

Be careful when you consider replacement drives. They must use a particular PATA ZIF connector and interface and have a drive height of 5mm or less. Most 1.8" drives won't work or fit. You'll find some that do by searching this forum and the Runcore stuff is highly regarded.

Jophster
Jan 7, 2010, 03:48 AM
The MBA had been the most polarizing Apple product I've seen in many years. People tend to love it (they live within its limitations) or hate it (they can't live within its limitations). It compromises a lot for mobility and is the least mainstream/general purpose MAC so is not for everyone.

Be careful when you consider replacement drives. They must use a particular PATA ZIF connector and interface and have a drive height of 5mm or less. Most 1.8" drives won't work or fit. You'll find some that do by searching this forum and the Runcore stuff is highly regarded.

Hmmm... I think I am going to shelve the idea of an SSD on second thoughts. The price is still pretty high (per GB) but they are constantly coming down in price so waiting can only be a good thing!

UPDATE: YOU CAN READ ABOUT MY EXPERIANCES IN 48 HOURS HERE: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9049726

UPDATE: FIND OUT HOW YOUR BATTERY COMPARES TO OTHERS HERE: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=844645

jimboutilier
Jan 7, 2010, 08:44 AM
Hmmm... I think I am going to shelve the idea of an SSD on second thoughts. The price is still pretty high (per GB) but they are constantly coming down in price so waiting can only be a good thing!

You are right about an SSD's price per GB. On the order of 5x to 10x an HDD (for more like a 5x performance improvement).

I never really minded my MBA RevA 1.6/2gb/80gbHDD but I was always aware it was a modestly powered machine. Using tools like XSLIMMER, iDefrag, Bokah, iFreemem, Click2Flash, VLC, Smartsleep etc I took an acceptable experience to a good experience for a very small cost.

Thats one area where I tend to agree with Scottsdale a bit - the MBA has more limitations than most MAC's so for a RevA HDD model in particular many folks tend to want to tinker with it more than your average MAC that "just works" without having to do anything to it.