Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flying Frog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2010
My mac book aluminium seem to get hot quite fast and quite high and the fan runs loudly. Could someone give me tell me how cool should it be running at ? Watching a film on itunes or youtube it can go to 75 / 80 C (core temp) once it went to almost 90 C. Will it damage the processor on a long run ?

InfoSecmgr

Dec 31, 2009
Ypsilanti, Michigan
My mac book aluminium seem to get hot quite fast and quite high and the fan runs loudly. Could someone give me tell me how cool should it be running at ? Watching a film on itunes or youtube it can go to 75 / 80 C (core temp) once it went to almost 90 C. Will it damage the processor on a long run ?

My MacBook gets pretty darned hot watching youtube movies for any length of time. It can get to around 175F before the fans ramp up to full on (~6k rpm right?). Any laptop I've ever used gets very hot.

chill.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
seems pretty normal, depends on quality of the video and you also have to remember that flash performs very poorly on osx

yes it will damage processor in the long run but everything does, so just use it and don't worry about it

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
It can damage the processor... but they're made to take abuse like that so I really wouldn't worry.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
The Core2Duo chips in these computers have a core maximum of 105C. The fans should keep the temps under that no problem. I haven't gotten my core temps above 90C with heavy video encoding as the fans knock it back to high 70s to mid 80s pretty quickly.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The processor automatically shuts down before any damage can occur.

Edit: Yes, if the temp goes above 105°C, it will shut down.

milton.sheaf

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2009
Normal. Move along.

Newton63

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Thermal shutdown?

I thought that mine was running hot but was fine-it would shutdown before damage. Well now I believe it is experiencing thermal shutdowns-the battery has almost half power and it will just shutdown, usually after being on Skype. Temps hover in the 80 C range. I use SMC fan control. these temps haven't caused issues before. Apple's solution is to reset the SMC (not related to the app). Any thoughts? Please let me know.

Thanks,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.