Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crocodileyears

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 5, 2010
Hi.

My 1st thread!! hoorah

I'm looking to get a Mac Mini from Hong Kong. I have friend who is able to buy it and bring over. However i cant seem to find out if it'll work here in the UK with just a simple plug adaptor. Will I need a transformer or fancy AC Adaptor? :confused:
Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

flopticalcube

macrumors G4
Just a plug adapter. All minis can run on 110-240v 50/60Hz (regardless of what the power supply says!). The DVD player will, however, probably be set to region 4. You can change it to region 2 (Europe) but you only can change it 5 times before its locked.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Just a plug adapter. All minis can run on 110-240v 50/60Hz (regardless of what the power supply says!). The DVD player will, however, probably be set to region 4. You can change it to region 2 (Europe) but you only can change it 5 times before its locked.

I didn't know you could do that, unlock the region. This kind of opens things up ... if you set the region to 2 will it also play region 4 dvds?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Well damn the man. thanks though and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I didn't know you could do that, unlock the region. This kind of opens things up ... if you set the region to 2 will it also play region 4 dvds?
You can only set one region at a time.

You can change 5 times then region changing is locked.

In the old days, you could flash the DVD player to give you 5 more settings. If you screwed up, your DVD player was hosed in many cases.

I haven't checked if that's possible today. It's easier to have two devices. For example, one for Japanese (Region 2) and one for English (Region 1).

In the case of the OP, he'll just need to change the region setting one time and he's squared away.

eurochez

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
I'm looking to get a Mac Mini from Hong Kong. I have friend who is able to buy it and bring over. However i cant seem to find out if it'll work here in the UK with just a simple plug adaptor.
Hong Kong uses the same electrical system (voltage and plug-types) as the UK so there are no hardware modifications or voltage adaptors required to make Apple hardware purchased in HK work in the UK.

More important perhaps is the question of whether there's any benefit to buying in HK rather than the UK. At the moment, Sterling is very weak as against the US Dollar (the HKD is pegged to the USD) and Apple hardware bought in HK may only be covered for warranty issues in HK. You may want to consider these issues before buying in HK.

best
Raf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.