Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
My app store shows an update for facebook. This is whats included........

- Push Notifications
- Sync Facebook friends with your address book

However, its still loading old version

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Just downloaded it and yeah, I'm not seeing those features either.

That is what it said on the download page, but now that it's downloaded I see no evidence of either one.

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
didn't show up as an update for me, so I deleted it and reloaded it on my iphone, and got the 3.1 version.

It even asked if I want to enable push notifications on startup

PhoneI

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2008
I deleted it and reloaded. Still getting the old version, yet it shows 3.1 in my app updates screen.

iphonecrazyful

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Scotland
Ive just downloaded it and i have both push notifications and contacts syncing. Two pop up messages appear when first access the app after updating

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Well, I guess I have no need for Boxcar anymore.

It's weird. When I do a search for Facebook in the App Store, it shows a release date of Jan. 6, 2010. When you click on the app, its homepage still shows a November 2009 release and version 3.03. But iTunes has been awful lately when it comes to updates. Half the time, it'll say that I have updates and then show me absolutely nothing, and the other half it'll download the new versions but still keep telling me I have new updates.

biggrim

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I downloaded it then did a reset on the phone and got the two pop up boxes first time I opened the app. Only really any good if your friends on facebook have their telephone numbers/email in their profile and you have the same info in your contacts list. Still quite handy though.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
It replaced ALL of my contact pictures with their facebook profile pictures even though i had the replace option turned off.

Also, I can't seem to find any way to get back into these syncing settings again?

visitormatt

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
It replaced ALL of my contact pictures with their facebook profile pictures even though i had the replace option turned off.

Also, I can't seem to find any way to get back into these syncing settings again?

go to the friends tab within facebook and within, there is a 'sync' tab on the top right of the page. Hope that helps.

Mine also replaced all contact pics despite having this feature turned off.

AiralynRose

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
go to the friends tab within facebook and within, there is a 'sync' tab on the top right of the page. Hope that helps.

Mine also replaced all contact pics despite having this feature turned off.

Thanks I found it.

And that isn't cool at all that it replaced them. I didn't want it to! Ugh. Nothing i can do now.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
I checked for the update and it didn't show. So I searched for Facebook and instead of it showing as "installed" it said free. I clicked to install. Downloaded and then went into app to get new features.

Ol!ver

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2005
Glad it's replacing everyone's photos and it's not just me!

The app does feel a tad snappier too, which is always nice!

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It finally showed up here. (After 45 minutes of trying.)

The photo-copying thing sounds like a HUGE bug. They'll get a lot of angry people soon if that's not fixed.

I just didn't sync at all. The idea of Facebook getting anywhere near my address book made me ill even before I heard about these photo-coyping problems.

I mean, come on. I'm friends with people on Facebook because I don't WANT to know them in real life. Why would I want to sync FB with my real-world people?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I couldn't find it using my iPhone, so I went on the applications tab on itunes on my mac. It found the update from there.

countrydweller

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2009
It finally showed up here. (After 45 minutes of trying.)

The photo-copying thing sounds like a HUGE bug. They'll get a lot of angry people soon if that's not fixed.

I just didn't sync at all. The idea of Facebook getting anywhere near my address book made me ill even before I heard about these photo-coyping problems.

I mean, come on. I'm friends with people on Facebook because I don't WANT to know them in real life. Why would I want to sync FB with my real-world people?

It added pictures to my facebook friends, but didn't change contact pics stored in my iPhone.

LixLev

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I've got the new update, but no sounds seem to be playing when I get a new push notification. I've got sounds turned on. Anyone else having the same problem?

gdlcjr

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
I've got the new update, but no sounds seem to be playing when I get a new push notification. I've got sounds turned on. Anyone else having the same problem?

Same here I just saw the alert but did not noticed the sound.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.