Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cr8tvmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2010
Will apple repair a white macbook with hairline crack on bottom case even though its out of warranty? coz i've search on web that apple do but i just wanna make sure.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
How old is your MB? Is it a few months out of warranty? Or a few years?

I've heard that if it's not too old, you can just bring it in and the Genius will just swap the keyboard right there. If he's not busy, it's probably a 15 minute job.

That said, if they don't fix it for you, you can either live with it or buy a new keyboard and fix it yourself.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Wait ... is it the bottom case of the palmrest? I guess I read Macbook and hairline crack and assumed it was the palmrest.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I was going to say, I'm pretty sure this falls under the cracked palmrest category, that apple fixes no questions asked.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
The palmrest is on the top case, and hairline cracks do not occur there.

The OP hasn't checked back in to describe the crack in detail, so we don't know if he's really talking about the bottom case or the palmrest area. Some folks may use the term bottom case to describe the entire bottom with the top case being the part with the screen.

In any case, the palmrest on the Macbooks are notorious for developing hairline cracks. It's practically, a 100% occurrence. Heck, there was a huge thread here about it ... which is why I was assuming the OP meant that his palmrest was cracked since he mentioned that he read that people were getting it fixed out of warranty.

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
Mine palmrest is cracked, just noticed it :( Will call Apple and see what they say, my warranty went out a year ago though...

doubleohseven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Sydney, Australia
The bottom case doesn't even qualify to be replaced in warranty. You will have to pay to get it swapped out.

I got the bottom of my MacBook's case replaced while it was on AppleCare, free of charge. The hairline cracks were occurring around the fan. Took about 3 days to get repaired though.

Glad to hear that the palm-rest replacement is free. My warranty just ran out but I'll take it in to an Apple Store soon and see what they can do.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
I got the bottom of my MacBook's case replaced while it was on AppleCare, free of charge. The hairline cracks were occurring around the fan. Took about 3 days to get repaired though.

Glad to hear that the palm-rest replacement is free. My warranty just ran out but I'll take it in to an Apple Store soon and see what they can do.

I have the exact same problem, and 3 years of applecare. Can I hope to get it replaced for free?

cherry0219

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2009
CRACKS on MY MACBOOK

I have a concern regarding my white macbook 13 ". I bought my White Macbook last November 25 , 2009 and as time passed by I noticed some hairline cracks along top case to the right and left side of the trackpad, also on the back of the underside along the airvents.

At the first time I thought they are just scratches but they weren't .They are really thin and you can't really see it unless you look closely. I did a little research over the net and found out that it was pretty common with white macbooks.

Now, my white macbook 13" has many seen cracks along top case (left and right side of the trackpad) ranging from 2 cms - 3 cms and along the airvents it has a hairline cracks of about 7.5 cms.

My Macbbok White is almost ! year and 3 months now, the 1 year warranty has already expired and I did not bought any apple care warranty.

I just hoping that you could resolve this problem. Im worried because this situation might get worse and the crack will getting bigger and bigger as time pass by.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I have a concern regarding my white macbook 13 ". I bought my White Macbook last November 25 , 2009 and as time passed by I noticed some hairline cracks along top case to the right and left side of the trackpad, also on the back of the underside along the airvents.

Is this the unibody poly Macbook, or the one with the removable keyboard/trackpad. If it's got the removable keyboard, take it into an Apple store and they'll do a replacement right there on the spot. Just set up an appointment with a Genius.

This is a known issue with the white Macbooks of that design. Eventually, the pieces will break off, but it doesn't affect the computer at all. Just looks like crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.