PDA

View Full Version : Facebook iPhone Application Gains Push Notifications

MacRumors
Jan 6, 2010, 03:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/06/facebook-iphone-application-gains-push-notifications/)

Facebook today updated its iPhone and iPod touch application [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/facebook/id284882215?mt=8), Free] to Version 3.1, adding highly-anticipated push notifications and the ability to sync Facebook friends with users' address books. Facebook's push notifications offer a fairly high degree of customization, allowing users to choose whether to receive alerts for seven categories of information.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/01/06/160606-facebook_push.jpg

Push notifications had been on many users' wish lists for the 3.0 revision to the Facebook application, but ended up not making the cut for its August release (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/27/facebook-3-0-now-available-in-app-store/). The application's developer, Joe Hewitt, quit the project (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/12/facebook-iphone-application-developer-quits-over-apples-review-process/) in early November, citing dissatisfaction with Apple's App Store review process.

Article Link: Facebook iPhone Application Gains Push Notifications (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/01/06/facebook-iphone-application-gains-push-notifications/)

iOrlando
Jan 6, 2010, 03:10 PM
do they have push notifications that can let me know that my battery is crying like a baby for turning on all the other facebook push notifications?

Diode
Jan 6, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm surprised of no chat notifications or are those considered "messages"?

iHarrison
Jan 6, 2010, 03:16 PM
someone explain this to me.....wouldn't activating push notifications absolutely KILL my iPhone 3GS battery life?? I've never been able to figure out if push notifications are bad to turn on cause they drain battery life?

Thanks!

speakerwizard
Jan 6, 2010, 03:21 PM
someone explain this to me.....wouldn't activating push notifications absolutely KILL my iPhone 3GS battery life?? I've never been able to figure out if push notifications are bad to turn on cause they drain battery life?

Thanks!

they do a little but not to the extent of background processes, and having 20 push apps takes no more battery life than having 1, unless you get very frequent pushes from them of course.

iHarrison
Jan 6, 2010, 03:23 PM
they do a little but not to the extent of background processes, and having 20 push apps takes no more battery life than having 1, unless you get very frequent pushes from them of course.

Push Notifications are when your phone automatically checks for updates, alerts etc. without you having to open the app right? I guess it's just misleading to me because when I hear "push" notifications, I think of something that happens when I push the app or open it up.

Thanks for the fast response!

stridemat
Jan 6, 2010, 03:23 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/01/06/160606-facebook_push.jpg

This is probably a very easy question, but how do I get to that screen?

EDIT* Question answered below

basesloaded190
Jan 6, 2010, 03:25 PM

Facebook under settings

Cartoonkid
Jan 6, 2010, 03:27 PM

Settings / Facebook / Push Notifications

stridemat
Jan 6, 2010, 03:27 PM
Facebook under settings

Settings / Facebook / Push Notifications

thanks for the help! I feel very stupid now!:o

QuarterSwede
Jan 6, 2010, 03:29 PM
Push Notifications are when your phone automatically checks for updates, alerts etc. without you having to open the app right? I guess it's just misleading to me because when I hear "push" notifications, I think of something that happens when I push the app or open it up.

No, PN is when the Apple Push Notification server tells your phone you have a notification. The apps do not need to be running. Its suppose to save you battery life by not having multiple apps open all the time.

runeasgar
Jan 6, 2010, 03:30 PM
Your iPhone maintains a maximum of 1 active connection to receive push notifications.

The amount you receive and number of applications that send them to you have very little effect - other than to keep turning your screen on.

iHarrison
Jan 6, 2010, 03:31 PM
No, PN is when the Apple Push Notification server tells your phone you have a notification. The apps do not need to be running. Its suppose to save you battery life by not having multiple apps open all the time.

so then how will it work exactly when i turn all the PN's on? Will i get alerts in the form of a text message? or will it have a little number in the corner of the app??

shiftyroach
Jan 6, 2010, 03:32 PM
still waiting for facebook to sync actual information like phone numbers and email addresses... now that would be handy!

dot com
Jan 6, 2010, 03:33 PM
Go to the iphone settings and scroll down to the bottom and find the facebook tab. Select that, and then "Push notifications".

Viola.

iHarrison
Jan 6, 2010, 03:34 PM
also....do i have to turn on "Notifications" in the settings menu in order for facebook PN's to work?

Thanks!

Compile 'em all

What you are explaining is pull, not push.

In push, the phone keeps one connection alive to Apple. When Apple receives data for your phone, it will push it to your phone through this connection. The phone doesn't "check" anything.

runeasgar
so then how will it work exactly when i turn all the PN's on? Will i get alerts in the form of a text message? or will it have a little number in the corner of the app??

It's a sound, "text message" box, and "badge" (a little number on the icon for the app). Or any combination that you choose.

It is not a traditional text message. It won't show up in your SMS, and you don't have to delete it. It's just a notification.

SkippyThorson
Jan 6, 2010, 03:37 PM

See for yourself when you enable them: under push notifications in Settings, you have the ability to choose between sound, a message alert, and a number badge. Not all have all three, but the majority do. You pick what you want. All, some, or none. Just try it out. :p

QuarterSwede
Jan 6, 2010, 03:51 PM
You may want to turn off wall posts notifications. Yeah, I certainly don't want to be notified every 5 minutes.

KindredMAC
Jan 6, 2010, 03:56 PM
For the love of God, will they please fix the bug that causes any wall, photo, or comment posts to slow to a crawl if you haven't reinstalled the Facebook app in some time.

Any one else notice this?

Example: I restore my iPhone. Facebook runs like a sprint horse fresh out of the gate. Posting status updates, wall comments, photo comments, friend requests, etc.. are all snappy. Then after about a week things start taking longer to post. The spinner lasts much longer on the screen. Then by week 4, trying to post a simple status update cripples the app to the point that you have to hit the Home button on the iPhone. Meanwhile, even though your spinner is processing, that status update has already updated on their servers for others to see.

Subiklim
Jan 6, 2010, 03:57 PM
You may want to turn off wall posts notifications. Yeah, I certainly don't want to be notified every 5 minutes.

Oh, if only we could all be so popular.

plinx0r
Jan 6, 2010, 04:00 PM
has anyone tried syncing the contacts yet? i'm curious what information gets pulled down and tied to a contact besides the profile picture and "links."

hailst0rm
Jan 6, 2010, 04:02 PM
Oh, if only we could all be so popular.

You obviously haven't been introduced to the evils of farmville and similar facebook apps.

runeasgar
Jan 6, 2010, 04:08 PM
You obviously haven't been introduced to the evils of farmville and similar facebook apps.

Does Farmville qualify as a wall post, to your wall?

I don't think it does.

hailst0rm
Jan 6, 2010, 04:10 PM
I had to delete the Facebook app and reinstall for the push notification options to come up on my phone. Did try restarting the phone before that but made little difference.

diamond3
Jan 6, 2010, 04:11 PM

You know you can block applications from posting on your wall and news feed. That might help.

philitup23
Jan 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
I had to delete the Facebook app and reinstall for the push notification options to come up on my phone. Did try restarting the phone before that but made little difference.

Thanks...I was wondering why nothing was being pushed through

daneoni
Jan 6, 2010, 05:00 PM
Yay another push app to drain that 1200mAh

room237
Jan 6, 2010, 05:04 PM

I've done both those things as well but the push still is not working for me.

jayP1201
Jan 6, 2010, 05:12 PM
I have the Push working for Facebook but I cant hear anything... The notifications just come up... How do I set the sound?

room237
Jan 6, 2010, 05:13 PM
I have the Push working for Facebook but I cant hear anything... The notifications just come up... How do I set the sound?

Should be in:

Settings > Notifications > Facebook

Although I still get NO notifications no matter what, so I can't guarantee that'll work :(

jayP1201
Jan 6, 2010, 05:17 PM
Should be in:

Although I still get NO notifications no matter what, so I can't guarantee that'll work :(

Thanks.. I'll also try resetting the phone...

big samm
Jan 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
and the logging chat is still bugging what mean by that is each time i exit the facebook application and open it back it logs me in the chat even know i logged off before exiting the application... anyone else have this problem?

melchior
Jan 6, 2010, 05:31 PM
still waiting for facebook to sync actual information like phone numbers and email addresses... now that would be handy!

agreed. i wish there was a way to do this automatically.

anyone know an app?

80s Fan
Jan 6, 2010, 05:34 PM
has anyone tried syncing the contacts yet? i'm curious what information gets pulled down and tied to a contact besides the profile picture and "links."

I'm wondering this too. I had thought it sounded cool until I got to the "I Agree" screen and saw the verbiage about making sure the info that gets pulled from your phone to Facebook is ok with your friends. I clicked "I don't agree" and decided to cone here to see what others are saying.

Thanks.

melchior
Jan 6, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'm wondering this too. I had thought it sounded cool until I got to the "I Agree" screen and saw the verbiage about making sure the info that gets pulled from your phone to Facebook is ok with your friends. I clicked "I don't agree" and decided to cone here to see what others are saying.

Thanks.

so, even for contacts that i am not friends with, but i have an email address for it pulls their photo and makes a link under the homepage field example: fp://profile/562005566 which of course opens the facebook app when you touched.

no other info...

kmcrawford
Jan 6, 2010, 05:49 PM
Any know why some users photos don't sync? My photo doesn't show up on my wife's phone, but many of her friends photos' do.

btw, I have seen other info posted like my friend's Sister's name and etc.

jayP1201
Jan 6, 2010, 05:56 PM
Reset the phone and I get the notifications but can't hear any sound when I get them? anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

SimonTheSoundMa
Jan 6, 2010, 05:57 PM
Does Farmville qualify as a wall post, to your wall?

I don't think it does.
It posts wall posts, private messages, invitations, the lot. I hate that app on Facebook. I have it blocked now.

biggrim
Jan 6, 2010, 06:06 PM
It posts wall posts, private messages, invitations, the lot. I hate that app on Facebook. I have it blocked now.

How do you block farmville? It's annoying me the amount of posts I get a day from people who've found a sparkly pure egg or a wounded badger. I'd love to not have all that guff clogging up my iPhone screen.

I am having similar issues with notification sounds in that I get none. Not too fussed but would be nice if it did exactly what it said on the tin.

Vandam500
Jan 6, 2010, 06:25 PM
Does anybody get sounds when receiving notifications?

corbijnal
Jan 6, 2010, 06:35 PM
Not really sure of the point of push as emails come through about facebook activity anyway.....

Contacts sync is an awesome idea though! Just did it and it downloads the photos and puts a link to the facebook page in each contact....

It doesn't mess up your contacts at all!

michael31986
Jan 6, 2010, 06:44 PM
let me restart the phone, because im not getting any push and everything is turned on :(

diamond3
Jan 6, 2010, 07:22 PM
How do you block farmville? It's annoying me the amount of posts I get a day from people who've found a sparkly pure egg or a wounded badger. I'd love to not have all that guff clogging up my iPhone screen.

I am having similar issues with notification sounds in that I get none. Not too fussed but would be nice if it did exactly what it said on the tin.

Try going to settings->application settings
Once the page loads, go to the drop down box and select "allowed to post"
Find farmville and click edit settings and you can change it there.

Also, on the news page you can go and click the hide next to any farmville news, then you can select Hide Farmville. This will prevent it from showing up in the news feed.

jayP1201
Jan 6, 2010, 07:52 PM
Does anybody get sounds when receiving notifications?

No I have the same problem too....

elfxmilhouse
Jan 6, 2010, 07:55 PM
can the new app play facebook videos?

i hate how you can see and click on the videos in the facebook app but it would just give you a message stating videos are not supported....THEN WHY DO YOU SHOW IT IN tHE FEED?!

appleguy
Jan 6, 2010, 08:00 PM
something I noticed its also gone through my address book and linked people to facebook accounts I dont have as friends (on facebook)
some of them are way wrong ie some I know they dont have facebook but its added someone with the same name

appleguy
Jan 6, 2010, 08:08 PM
something I noticed its also gone through my address book and linked people to facebook accounts I dont have as friends (on facebook)
some of them are way wrong ie some I know they dont have facebook but its added someone with the same name
Now this is ****
I am deleting the fb:/profile link but it keeps wanting to sync it down

macfan881
Jan 6, 2010, 08:15 PM
the notifications are pretty fast I got the notification as soon as some one posted on my comment. I may switch my boxcar notifications for twitter now if this how fast notifications come through

Michael CM1
Jan 6, 2010, 08:24 PM
There is some confusion I don't understand. These push notifications will barely use any battery because most of the work is done on some servers on Apple's end of the equation. It's not the same as the app running in the background to notify you of pushed stuff. I've been getting notifications from AP, CNN and MSNBC for a while without noticing any battery issues. The whole point of Apple's push notification server was to conserve battery life.

I just got a couple of notifications while typing this. It just shows up like a text message would while your phone is in standby and will put a badge on the Facebook icon. The sound is also the same as SMS.

This is a very good addition. Now if TweetDeck could just add that.

ntrigue
Jan 6, 2010, 08:51 PM
I like to ONLY have a 'sound' or 'badge' as the screen turning ON/OFF with Push messages does affect the battery...

appleguy
Jan 6, 2010, 08:54 PM
I am getting push notification but no sound for faecbook
all over push apps I am geting a ding

mox358
Jan 6, 2010, 09:36 PM
Add me to the list of those getting the push notifications but no sound. Any solutions?

Canadian Guy
Jan 6, 2010, 09:43 PM
When I receive a push notification through Facebook on my iPhone, my iPhone won't vibrate (but only the message appears). Does you iPhone vibrate when you receive a Facebook push notification?

cdd543
Jan 6, 2010, 09:44 PM
It is a nice addition...too bad it took so long.

MakX
Jan 6, 2010, 09:52 PM
Scrap that, working now.

appleguy
Jan 6, 2010, 10:01 PM
go to the friends tab within facebook and within, there is a 'sync' tab on the top right of the page. Hope that helps.

mrtune
Jan 6, 2010, 10:55 PM
I get no sound either, but the badge and popup notifications work perfect!

linsam
Jan 6, 2010, 11:12 PM
No Sound For Me Either. I Suspect An Update To Come Real Soon.

room237
Jan 6, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'm still not getting ANY notifications for FB. I've reset my iPhone twice, reinstalled the app twice, then I started having serious problems with the iPhone... took over 10 minutes to reboot, then all apps were crashing... so I restored the iPhone... still no push notifications. This is driving me absolutely insane.

iMrNiceGuy0023
Jan 6, 2010, 11:37 PM
I updated...but the app store is still telling me I have a facebook app update....anyone else have this issue?

Screwtape
Jan 6, 2010, 11:48 PM
Huh, my push notifications weren't working, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I went to the settings and I'm apparently running Facebook 3.1.1, but when I go to iTunes, it says the app is at 3.1 and I have no updates.

Odd. But maybe they've fixed the sound issues already.

iWilson
Jan 7, 2010, 12:00 AM
Does anybody know if the push is applied to chat messages when the messages toggle is on? Does it only apply to the messages that arrive in your inbox? Also, could someone explain what Facebook gathers from your phone during sync? I would rather not give any information that compromises anything my friends would like to keep out of the hands of Facebook.

room237
Jan 7, 2010, 12:05 AM
Huh, my push notifications weren't working, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I went to the settings and I'm apparently running Facebook 3.1.1, but when I go to iTunes, it says the app is at 3.1 and I have no updates.

Odd. But maybe they've fixed the sound issues already.

I've noticed the same. I deleted FB from both iPhone and iTunes, then downloaded it thru iTunes since it states there that it is v3.1, but once on the iPhone it is still v3.1.1 and still, no notifications.

This really isn't worth losing sleep over, but it's really pissing me off.

naco
Jan 7, 2010, 02:20 AM
So far mine has been working perfectly fine. The only thing more I'd ask from it is for it to have an option to turn on and off a vibrate when your phone is set to silent. Sometime at night, I'm not looking at my phone's general direction with the sound off. If I get a txt or Email push or w/e, I can hear it vibrate. Just needs that for me and then I'd never need another update from them.

biggrim
Jan 7, 2010, 02:45 AM
Try going to settings->application settings
Once the page loads, go to the drop down box and select "allowed to post"
Find farmville and click edit settings and you can change it there.

Also, on the news page you can go and click the hide next to any farmville news, then you can select Hide Farmville. This will prevent it from showing up in the news feed.

Thank you so much for that. Hopefully it'll block it on my iPhone too.

MacSimoPark
Jan 7, 2010, 04:58 AM
Has anyone else found that after installing this their iPhone battery can not get enough charge to turn on? I'm popping into  Regent Street this afternoon, but it would be useful to know if anyone else has had the same problem.

Tried a hard reset, and it's not Jailbroken or Pwned or anything.

UPDATE: iPhone is working again. Multiple hard resets, removing sim, unplugging seemed to do the trick.

DavePurz
Jan 7, 2010, 05:29 AM
For the love of God, will they please fix the bug that causes any wall, photo, or comment posts to slow to a crawl if you haven't reinstalled the Facebook app in some time.

Any one else notice this?

Example: I restore my iPhone. Facebook runs like a sprint horse fresh out of the gate. Posting status updates, wall comments, photo comments, friend requests, etc.. are all snappy. Then after about a week things start taking longer to post. The spinner lasts much longer on the screen. Then by week 4, trying to post a simple status update cripples the app to the point that you have to hit the Home button on the iPhone. Meanwhile, even though your spinner is processing, that status update has already updated on their servers for others to see.

Excellent description of the problem! I also submitted this as a bug in the app store. I guess time will show if they've fixed it in the latest version.

paulcdb
Jan 7, 2010, 06:18 AM
anyone noticed the list of friends in chat is not the same listed on the main site, or beejive?

Looks like a lot of bugs slipped through :(

melchior
Jan 7, 2010, 06:21 AM
anyone noticed the list of friends in chat is not the same listed on the main site, or beejive?

Looks like a lot of bugs slipped through :(

bugs, in facebook? like's like saying steve jobs uses a two button mouse!

snoone1313
Jan 7, 2010, 06:42 AM
I installed the new version last night, sync'd my contacts... What that did was put profile pictures and facebook page links to any friends I had in my addressbook.... The addresses migrated and sync'd no problem but the app itself is crashing so much that i had to delete it, reinstalled the old version from my computer and everything is back to normal on my phone within the facebook app... The page links still connect directly to friends facebook pages directly from my addressbook... I would wait to upgrade until they fix all the problems... Oh yeah the links do not work from addressbook on your mac, only within the iphone and from that addressbook

melchior
Jan 7, 2010, 07:16 AM
*snip* I would wait to upgrade until they fix all the problems...

only another 5 months away? ;)

gdlcjr
Jan 7, 2010, 07:44 AM
New facebook update now appear.

melchior
Jan 7, 2010, 07:47 AM
New facebook update now appear.

eating my words... :o

jayP1201
Jan 7, 2010, 08:15 AM
I got the new facebook update for bug fixes on syncing but not for the fact that I can't hear when I get a notification... I got no sound...

blake836
Jan 7, 2010, 08:42 AM
I got the new facebook update for bug fixes on syncing but not for the fact that I can't hear when I get a notification... I got no sound...

I ran the update for this today and I am getting no notifications at all even though they are all turned on in the settings.

philitup23
Jan 7, 2010, 08:47 AM
Why do only some of the profile pics from facebook transfer over to my phone and not all of them? Where's the differentiation between the ones that transfer and the ones that dont?

javaGuru
Jan 7, 2010, 08:51 AM
So far the push notifications are working very well. However, the contact syncing actually deleted all of my contacts and replaced them with some contacts from facebook that were NOT even close to being correct. I'm not too happy about this at all. It ended up pushing these changes to my MobileMe cloud so I have basically lost all of my contacts. Way to go facebook!

Vandam500
Jan 7, 2010, 08:59 AM
Has anyone else found that after installing this their iPhone battery can not get enough charge to turn on? I'm popping into  Regent Street this afternoon, but it would be useful to know if anyone else has had the same problem.

UPDATE: iPhone is working again. Multiple hard resets, removing sim, unplugging seemed to do the trick.

Glad you fixed the issue but I don't understand how is it possible for a app that is not running in the background to give any issue when it's closed. You know that surely it was something with your phone and had nothing to do with the Facebook app

Vandam500
Jan 7, 2010, 09:01 AM
I am still having no sound and no badges. I have tried reinstalling the app and doing a hard reset. Nothing. All I am getting is the alert but nothing else.

big samm
Jan 7, 2010, 09:08 AM
I am still having no sound and no badges. I have tried reinstalling the app and doing a hard reset. Nothing. All I am getting is the alert but nothing else.

Your iphone is sooo modded im not surprise... Lol im jailbreak too and everything seems to work except for the sound... The push is fast too it comes 1sec before my mobile me email notification

room237
Jan 7, 2010, 09:13 AM
Your iphone is sooo modded im not surprise... Lol im jailbreak too and everything seems to work except for the sound... The push is fast too it comes 1sec before my mobile me email notification

I am not jailbroken and I have had problems with push too. At first absolutely nothing. This morning the alerts started coming through, but no badges. Then after a couple of hours, badges would work, but sound has never worked.

I wish the badges would disappear if I view the notifications online on a computer. I left my house with the badges reading "4" but they were all notifications I read about an hour earlier.

Also, messages don't come through as badges, only silent alerts.

If you're going to put an update like this thru, make sure it works! Did they even test this thing once?!?!

randallking
Jan 7, 2010, 09:16 AM
I got the 3.1 update yesterday, and I was getting push notifications with badges and alerts but not sound or vibration. I am positive that my silent/ringer switch was set to allow sound.

This morning I got the new 3.1.1 update. Immediately, I noticed that I started getting sound alerts and vibration in addition to the badges and alerts. Yay!

big samm
Jan 7, 2010, 09:21 AM
The sound notification problem has nothing to do with the app guys its a server thing they can fix it without an update...

big samm
Jan 7, 2010, 09:22 AM
Why when i close the app and then go back in it it logs me online on the chat automaticly?

Primejimbo
Jan 7, 2010, 10:25 AM
I thought I would like the push for this, but I actually find it annoying. I have updates sent to me via text messaging and I think I like that better. At least I can turn it off if I don't like it which is nice.

.vin.
Jan 7, 2010, 11:11 AM

Had the same problem. Now that my iPhone is finally charged and running, I can't open the Facebook app. As soon as I click it, the application starts but then immediately crashes. Tried restarting my iPhone, still no luck.

BNZ1
Jan 7, 2010, 12:11 PM
Does anyone know if the sync will add new contacts to your phone/fb or if it just syncs data for the existing phone contacts?

djltoronto
Jan 7, 2010, 12:18 PM

Palm pre does this right outa the box

Kilamite
Jan 7, 2010, 12:19 PM
I get notifications, but no sound..

Does anyone know if the sync will add new contacts to your phone/fb or if it just syncs data for the existing phone contacts?

Doesn't add new contacts - just amends existing ones.

djltoronto
Jan 7, 2010, 12:21 PM
Doesn't add new contacts - just amends existing ones.

Confirmed. Same behaviour over here

clayj
Jan 7, 2010, 12:25 PM
Have they fixed the issue where the News Feed constantly reverts to "Live Feed" view even though you've selected "Status Updates"?

Because that problem right there is reason enough for me not to install it.

krayziekray
Jan 7, 2010, 01:29 PM
There needs to be a way to manually sync contacts, as not all my contacts in my phonebook have the same name as Facebook (i save them as nick names, family names etc).

:apple: KrayzieKray :apple:

djltoronto
Jan 7, 2010, 01:36 PM
There needs to be a way to manually sync contacts, as not all my contacts in my phonebook have the same name as Facebook (i save them as nick names, family names etc).

ya... that would be nice..

But.. FYI.. even if the names don't match, as long as the contacts have email address in both the phone and FB - it will sync the.

Several of my contacts did sync, even though the names didn't match (but the email address's did.

irun5k
Jan 7, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'm glad I read some reviews- I was about to try the contact syncing. In retrospect, that was stupid to even consider. I have a lot of value in my address book- info collected over many years. Why would I (1) send all that data to Facebook (do they keep it? do we know?) and (2) let said 3rd party app have run of the house, updating/deleting any and all of my contacts?

Like I say, I almost did it. But it would have been stupid. I *might* have been saved my MobileMe since I'm usually notified before it updates a given percentage of all my data. But still- a risk I don't want to take.

djltoronto
Jan 7, 2010, 01:58 PM
I'm glad I read some reviews- I was about to try the contact syncing. In retrospect, that was stupid to even consider. I have a lot of value in my address book- info collected over many years. Why would I (1) send all that data to Facebook (do they keep it? do we know?) and (2) let said 3rd party app have run of the house, updating/deleting any and all of my contacts?

Like I say, I almost did it. But it would have been stupid. I *might* have been saved my MobileMe since I'm usually notified before it updates a given percentage of all my data. But still- a risk I don't want to take.

You fully, and completely misunderstand how the app works.
Sorry for your ignorance.

FYI.. no contact info is added or deleted.

Only contact pictures are synced, and a link to the persons profile is added as a webpage link in your contacts.

NOTHING is deleted
NOTHING is overwritten (unless you want to overwrite existing pics) - that's an option you chose.

the data is sent to facebook in order to "match" contacts by both name and email address.

What facebook does with the data... I assume nothing. you assume they share it. I suppose that topic is open for debate

Manic Mouse
Jan 7, 2010, 02:22 PM
I got the 3.1 update yesterday, and I was getting push notifications with badges and alerts but not sound or vibration. I am positive that my silent/ringer switch was set to allow sound.

This morning I got the new 3.1.1 update. Immediately, I noticed that I started getting sound alerts and vibration in addition to the badges and alerts. Yay!

Oooh, what sound does it make? I'm always intrigued by new push notifications. I hope it's the noise the website makes. Pop!

linsam
Jan 7, 2010, 02:57 PM
Still no sound --- even with the update.

wacky4alanis
Jan 7, 2010, 03:19 PM
What are people mainly using the Push for? I certainly wouldn't want to be updated every time one of my friends posts on Facebook... I know there are different settings - just wondering what kind of updates people use this for.

80s Fan
Jan 7, 2010, 03:29 PM
Is there a way to specify which comments you get push notifications for? I'm interested in get pn for comments my updates but not really interested in getting pn for my friends status update which I comment on. E-mails are fine for those.

Anyone know? Thanks.

MightyThor12
Jan 7, 2010, 05:29 PM
so some people are getting sounds??? I wish crap worked! Seems like my battery is draining faster today after updating fbook, but some of yall said the push really wont eat much battery...is that true??

Kilamite
Jan 7, 2010, 05:39 PM
What are people mainly using the Push for? I certainly wouldn't want to be updated every time one of my friends posts on Facebook... I know there are different settings - just wondering what kind of updates people use this for.

You don't get notified everytime one of your friends posts on Facebook. You get notified everytime someone posts something to you though.

daneoni
Jan 7, 2010, 06:32 PM
Push effectively doesn't work for me unless i switch alerts on...badges and sounds don't work and i really cant be bothered to start restoring/resetting/reformatting my phone because of one app. I've tried deleting and re-installing the app and thats as far as i'll go.

So its back to hourly email updates for me.

irun5k
Jan 7, 2010, 07:11 PM
Only contact pictures are synced, and a link to the persons profile is added as a webpage link in your contacts.

What facebook does with the data... I assume nothing. you assume they share it. I suppose that topic is open for debate

I've spent a lot of time adding appropriate photos for most of my contacts. The initial version that came out apparently had a bug and replaced people's photos with facebook profile pics with people who had similar names but weren't even friends in Facebook. (Even with the "replace" option turned off!)

Also, what the app is supposed to do and actually does is two different things apparently. I've read reviews around the net about people losing data. It is obvious the software is buggy.

And, who really knows what is done with the data? The temptation to mine data from users might be a little too much to turn down.

conradwt
Jan 8, 2010, 06:37 AM

A push notification is sent from the server to phone automatically. Thus, when something changes on the server in regards to your Facebook account, the information is pushed to your phone if you have subscribed to receive that type of notification. In short, you don't have poll for the information because the information is being pushed to you.

jamieg
Jan 8, 2010, 02:19 PM
3.1.1 is updating some of my contacts who aren't on Facebook and haven't got an email address assigned. It matches them to a seemingly random person's profile who I am not even friends with on Facebook!!

Anyone else getting this issue??

Push updates seem intermittent today, they were working well yesterday!!

B2k1977
Jan 8, 2010, 03:05 PM
agreed. i wish there was a way to do this automatically.

anyone know an app?

SmartSync

randallking
Jan 8, 2010, 04:37 PM
Oooh, what sound does it make? I'm always intrigued by new push notifications. I hope it's the noise the website makes. Pop!

I think it was the same sound that is used for SMS and MMS alerts. It has stopped working today for some reason.

randallking
Jan 8, 2010, 04:38 PM
Push updates seem intermittent today, they were working well yesterday!!

I agree; intermittent today for some reason. I'm only getting some alerts, but not all. And the sound which was working yesterday has stopped today.

jglavin
Jan 8, 2010, 11:57 PM
+1 on spotty push... gonna give it a few days and see if it improves. What I am looking for is similar behavior to the mail app... I do not want alerts to pop up, just sounds and a badge. This is not working at all for me. I have yet to see the badge update itself. Alerts were working for me, but quite annoying (because as we all know the "ambient noise" level on Facebook is very high).

Is there a place to report these bugs to the developer?

Edit: I am also seeing the problem with updates remaining available after being installed, as well as sporadic issues with the Push notifications system on other apps. 3 billion downloads might be taking their toll on Apple's cloud... hopefully the new server farm goes online soon...

SkippyThorson
Jan 9, 2010, 07:48 AM
Should be in:

Agreed. I still get no badges on my eBay app, though the sounds and message work just fine. No guarantee that all the options in Settings < Push Notifications will work.

80s Fan
Jan 9, 2010, 03:31 PM
I am now getting no notifications from the FB app. No badges, no sounds, no nothing. I even deleted the app and re-downloaded it but still am not getting any type of pn. Has this happened to anyone else?

rrosebr
Jan 9, 2010, 11:55 PM
I wish the contact pictures where synced full size and not the mini verison

melchior
Jan 10, 2010, 12:05 AM
I wish the contact pictures where synced full size and not the mini verison

96x96 is a ridiculous size when the iphone displays the photos across 320x320

not to mention the fact that the application overwrote my existing photos despite not selecting the option.

TranceNW
Jan 10, 2010, 07:53 AM
Does anybody know how to get the contacts to sync? :confused:

Primejimbo
Jan 10, 2010, 01:38 PM
The push still hasn't worked in a few days for both mine and my wife's iPhone. So much for giving it a try.

Ish
Jan 11, 2010, 03:42 AM
Not bothered about push for myself. I'd just be happy if it let me connect to the different groups I use.

krayziekray
Jan 11, 2010, 08:58 AM
Does anybody know how to get the contacts to sync? :confused:

Yep, open up the Facebook app and tap "Friends". Then in the top right corner tap on "Sync", this will give you some options. Once selected, your contacts should sync.

Hope that helps.

jbrucato
Jan 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
My notifications stopped working. They're were fine for awhile but have since stopped working. Any ideas? Server problems maybe?

Track&Share
Jan 12, 2010, 03:42 PM
We are working on a Facebook status update. Our app so far updates users via Twitter on daily things that get tracked. Glad to see Facebook become more iPhone friendly. If you have anything to track / improve in your life, have a look at Track & Share. Try the lite version for free. All the best to all Facebook fans,
T&S

Vandam500
Jan 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
We are working on a Facebook status update. Our app so far updates users via Twitter on daily things that get tracked. Glad to see Facebook become more iPhone friendly. If you have anything to track / improve in your life, have a look at Track & Share. Try the lite version for free. All the best to all Facebook fans,
T&S

I'll try it.

joejoejoe
Jan 12, 2010, 04:08 PM

I don't get all the confusion people are having...

The push notifications just push your facebook.com notifications... the little red numbers at the bottom right of the screen. Those, including new messages in your inbox and event invites (which don't show up as badges because they don't show up as little red notifications in facebook.com to begin with.)

You don't receive a facebook.com notification whenever one of your hundreds of friends updates there status, so you won't receive a push notification on the facebook app either.

AllmightyFun
Jan 15, 2010, 08:34 AM
I am new here to the forum and was wondering if anyone could advise why only some of my contacts have matched accross?

Is it due to the fact that some of my numbers start +44 in my phonebook and they may start 07.... in facebook??

not sure what credentials it uses to compare and match the different phonebooks i.e name, number ect.

anyone know? :D

melchior
Jan 15, 2010, 09:32 AM
I am new here to the forum and was wondering if anyone could advise why only some of my contacts have matched accross?

Is it due to the fact that some of my numbers start +44 in my phonebook and they may start 07.... in facebook??

not sure what credentials it uses to compare and match the different phonebooks i.e name, number ect.

anyone know? :D

as far as i can tell with my own contacts, only name and email address were used for synching.

AllmightyFun
Jan 15, 2010, 10:47 AM
as far as i can tell with my own contacts, only name and email address were used for synching.

ahh thats possibly why, thanks.

Dont suppose anyone made an app on the iphone for MACrumors.com at all???? would be very handy in a similar form to the facebook app rather than using safari

jnguyen4
Jan 17, 2010, 12:47 AM
Doesn't really work.

glowfly
Jan 17, 2010, 08:03 PM
do the push notification require some kind of a service.. like ATnT

redbeard331
Jan 17, 2010, 11:58 PM
Still no push, it can't be that hard can it? The small devs get push working on their apps no problem..

big samm
Jan 18, 2010, 03:37 PM
Still no push, it can't be that hard can it? The small devs get push working on their apps no problem..

Most of the small devs charge us for push notification... Im pretty sure 7iphones out of 10 have facebook installed... Can you imagine pushing notification on all these devices? Plus its free so i can imagine how the server can easely be overloaded

nick1817
Mar 4, 2010, 01:07 PM
This was addressed earlier, but I haven't found a solution yet.

In "Live Feed", Farmville/Game stuff still shows up even if I've selected them not to via the full website

So, if I got to status updates in the app, or the website they don't show up, but they do in the Live Feed.