Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
LiteSwitch X is an update to a freeware keyboard switcher (LiteSwitch 1.0).

LiteSwitch provides an advanced keyboard-switcher which improves on Apple's current OpenApple-Tab switcher in many ways.

LiteSwitch X installs a custom Control Panel into the Mac OS X System Preferences which allow you to customize which keys are used for application switching.

Beyond this, the application is invoked by hitting the specified key combination (Open-Apple Tab by default), and lets you cycle through your currently open Applications. The advantages over Apple's own include:

- Pop Up Screen showing currently running Applications
- The ability to cycle forwards and backwards through running Applications
- Hide/Show Selected Apps
- Quit Selected Apps
- Force-Quite the Selected App.

Simple and Free.

Download

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
this is possibly the best piece of freeware i've ever used.

it reminds me of windows with the popup that shows the open apps but it's much, much more capable... very useful for force quitting apps via the keyboard only...

i guess my only wish for the program would be an option to show minimized windows in the display (kind of like the dock but much more easy to use the keyboard with)

overall i've used this software to switch apps about 10 times since dowloading it 5 mins ago; it's addicting and beautiful :)

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
sadly it doesn't seem to work correctly in jaguar 6c115... i haven't been able have it pop up as it should

anyone using it with jaguar?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
It looks great, I'll have togive it a go when I get home.
But...as kishba has allready asked, does it work in X.2 properly for anyone who has managed to get the final release yet?

dwebb

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2002
Redwood City, California
Originally posted by kishba
sadly it doesn't seem to work correctly in jaguar 6c115... i haven't been able have it pop up as it should anyone using it with jaguar?

Yep. And you're right. It doesn't override command-tab. However, you can configure it with another key combination, and it works. But the whole point is to use command-tab. Jaguar must be trapping command-tab differently than 10.1.5.

Dan

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Originally posted by dwebb

Yep. And you're right. It doesn't override command-tab. However, you can configure it with another key combination, and it works. But the whole point is to use command-tab. Jaguar must be trapping command-tab differently than 10.1.5.

Dan

That's too bad. I submitted this one to arn. I can't believe you folks had never seen this? How on earth have you been using a mac all these years. Sounds painful. Someone showed me this back in '97 and I haven't gone a day without it until OsX came along. I was also using their other OS9 product that put a start bar at the bottom of your screen. That start bar (like the windows start bar) was and is much more powerful and informative than the dock.

In respect to Jaguar, I gotta give apple credit. They have made the dock operate correctly. Cmd+tab now switches you to the most recent application used before going through all the apps down to the right. I do a lot of cutting and pasting in web design, so I'm constantly copying in word, then pasting in GoLive. With cmd+tab working correctly, all I do is copy, cmd tab, paste, cmd+tab, copy, etc. Before jaguar iit was copy, cmd+tab, cmd+tab,cmd+tab,cmd+tab,cmd+tab,cmd+tab, (hope you don't miss it!), paste. Very irritating. And I also noticed that there's now a hide others hot key in jaguar. Note from me to apple for the last 10 or so years... "DUH!" I can probably blame them if I ever get carpel tunnel just for having to mouse around to the "hide others" item. I think these 2 minor advances kick every other advance jaguar has in the ass as far as my personal productivity goes.

Oh, and thank goodness for Liteswitch fixting the window problem with OSX. What was with only bringing one window of the finder or an app to the front when you switched apps? Was that not the stupidest most idiotic mind-boggling thing apple has ever done in it's os? So I switched apps with cmd+tab, then I had to mouse to the window menu, or to the item in the dock, control click, etc. I mean give me a break. LiteSwitch allows you to always bring all windows from an app to the front. I hope that still works.

Love Apple.... think the Dock really really sucks. It does. Don't deny it. It's cute. But it sure is lame. I wish Proteron would bring back GoMac for OSX. Max menus is horrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.