PDA

View Full Version : Mainstage 2 and MBP live - questions regarding setup!!

tomhilfiger
Jan 7, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'm new to mainstage and wanted to set it up so I can use Omnisphere with my MIDI controller for live. I'm considering two options :

MIDI controller USB -> MBP using Mainstage 2 and Omnisphere -> Output using headphone out -> 35mm to 1/4 inch converter -> DI box (unbalanced to balanced) -> Mixer

OR

MIDI controller USB -> MBP using Mainstage 2 and Omnisphere -> Output using Apogee Duet or any other similar devices -> DI box (unbalanced to balanced) -> Mixer

Will I notice the difference for live?? Should I think about other setups? Thanks for all your inputs and help in advance.

ChrisA
Jan 7, 2010, 04:44 PM
Rather then an Apogee why not something a lot cheaper like an Lexington Alpha for $80.

One other thing to consider is cable length. If the distance to be covered is very long you want to convert to balanced as close to the source as you can. Some audio interfaces have balanced outs use that if the distance is other than really short. Much better to use an aduio interface that has what you need than use a DI box. Buy an interface that has whatever kind of line level signal your mixer can take

One other option. Does your Mac have S/PDIF output. Most do. Can you get that into your mixer?

tomhilfiger
Jan 7, 2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do have S/PDIF output. Would that be a better solution than purchasing a midi interface? I'm not even sure if the mixers at venues would have S/PDIF inputs?