PDA

View Full Version : How can I connect my PowerMac G5 to a projector?

4charlz
Jan 7, 2010, 03:17 PM
I am trying to connect my PowerMac G5 to my projector to watch movies and have my Itunes visualizer displayed . My projector has a VGA port.
PLEASE help I need to know what exactly I need to buy and if there is anything that has to be done as far as programming.

thank you

SilentPanda
Jan 7, 2010, 03:26 PM
So long as your PowerMac G5 has a VGA port, you should be able to plug the projector straight into it just as you would a monitor. Otherwise you will most likely need a fairly cheap adapter.

Do you know what video card(s) you currently have installed?

angelwatt
Jan 7, 2010, 03:30 PM
Depends on what ports you have on the PowerMac, but essentially you'll need a converter cable like this one from the Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/us/product/M8754G/A). I don't if that linked one is suitable for your PowerMac as I don't know what ports it has.

quantum003
Jan 7, 2010, 03:36 PM
I don't think PowerMac G5's shipped with VGA ports... I've only seen ADC and DVI, or dual DVI ports. You just need a simple DVI to VGA dongle. Male DVI to female VGA. :)

http://www.hulti.nl/winkel/media/vga-to-dvi.jpg

4charlz
Jan 7, 2010, 06:41 PM
I do believe it has a ADC port along with the DVI that my monitors is currently occupying. I did purchase some sort of converter cable that has different connector on each side one VGA and other side connected well with my MAC. But I still get nothing. Is there anything that needs to be changed or added as far as computer settings?

I am not familiar enough with my Mac to know exactly what I have for a "video card"

Dr.Pants
Jan 7, 2010, 07:05 PM
I am not familiar enough with my Mac to know exactly what I have for a "video card"

:apple:->About This Mac->More Info... You will go into the system profiler and then there will be "Graphics" on the left-hand side, under Hardware. We specifically want the "chipset model"

4charlz
Jan 7, 2010, 09:09 PM
I don't know if it's done the "PROPER" way though, but i managed to get a good result. My connections were done properly, the only thing that I didn't plan was that by adding my projector all I was doing was extending my viewing space.
I could have my main web screen on one side and slide all my other stuff from my desktop to the other side, sort of like having 2 screens side by side. I would drag my mouse over and see it moving on the other screen. Kool.
I had to make an adjustment in my system preferences, click displays then I clicked "arrangements". I then selected "mirror displays". This put the screen images on top of each other. So I guess what ever is now on the monitor in front of me is also showing up on my projector, which is the effect I was looking for.
I selected 1280X960 (clearer image). Now my only problem is how do I get my computer audio to accompany the visuals?
I figured all this out on my own BUT... but by hearing the feed-back it made me hopeful that I could do this so I THANK YOU 4 that.

rjphoto
Jan 7, 2010, 09:30 PM
You need a cable like this most likely.
http://a367.yahoofs.com/shopping/3078853/simg_t_os14306684545ac213d0a49f0846a006cc9bc1b5djpg?rm_____D8taXQqFl

4charlz
Jan 7, 2010, 10:13 PM
thanx 4 that last input I got it now. I'm stoked!

rjphoto
Jan 7, 2010, 10:15 PM
Another satisfied customer!