Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4charlz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
I am trying to connect my PowerMac G5 to my projector to watch movies and have my Itunes visualizer displayed . My projector has a VGA port.
PLEASE help I need to know what exactly I need to buy and if there is anything that has to be done as far as programming.

thank you

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
So long as your PowerMac G5 has a VGA port, you should be able to plug the projector straight into it just as you would a monitor. Otherwise you will most likely need a fairly cheap adapter.

Do you know what video card(s) you currently have installed?

quantum003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2009
Superposition
I don't think PowerMac G5's shipped with VGA ports... I've only seen ADC and DVI, or dual DVI ports. You just need a simple DVI to VGA dongle. Male DVI to female VGA. :)

vga-to-dvi.jpg

4charlz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
help

I do believe it has a ADC port along with the DVI that my monitors is currently occupying. I did purchase some sort of converter cable that has different connector on each side one VGA and other side connected well with my MAC. But I still get nothing. Is there anything that needs to be changed or added as far as computer settings?

I am not familiar enough with my Mac to know exactly what I have for a "video card"

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I am not familiar enough with my Mac to know exactly what I have for a "video card"

:apple:->About This Mac->More Info... You will go into the system profiler and then there will be "Graphics" on the left-hand side, under Hardware. We specifically want the "chipset model"

4charlz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
help

I don't know if it's done the "PROPER" way though, but i managed to get a good result. My connections were done properly, the only thing that I didn't plan was that by adding my projector all I was doing was extending my viewing space.
I could have my main web screen on one side and slide all my other stuff from my desktop to the other side, sort of like having 2 screens side by side. I would drag my mouse over and see it moving on the other screen. Kool.
I had to make an adjustment in my system preferences, click displays then I clicked "arrangements". I then selected "mirror displays". This put the screen images on top of each other. So I guess what ever is now on the monitor in front of me is also showing up on my projector, which is the effect I was looking for.
I selected 1280X960 (clearer image). Now my only problem is how do I get my computer audio to accompany the visuals?
I figured all this out on my own BUT... but by hearing the feed-back it made me hopeful that I could do this so I THANK YOU 4 that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.