PDA

View Full Version : M Audio Ozone issues with Garageband 5.1 - cannot hear guitar

Helloroko
Jan 8, 2010, 10:41 AM
Hi there, I'm a complete newbie to this computer music stuff so please be gentle and apologies in advance if this turns out to be a simple issue (I hope!)

I have just purchased an M Audio Ozone midi keyboard/audio interface from Ebay, and plugged it in to garageband (which I have never used) last night. I downloaded the latest driver from the M Audio website - (I wasn't sure if I needed the 32bit or 64 bit driver so I downloaded both) and after some playing around with the inputs/outputs in system preferences, and in the audio preferences in Garageband, the keyboard function works great (I can play the virtual instruments in garageband, and the sound comes out of the Mac's internal speakers as I have set it up.... although I cannot get any sound from the Ozone which might be significant.

I then attempted to use my electric guitar but cannot for the life of me get it to work. I have followed instructions to the letter, but for some reason it won't work. The process as I understand it for a guitar track is: select "electric guitar track option in garageband. On the left is the track and on the right are the audio options (which includes selecting a amp sound and stomp boxes, etc). When an amp has been selected, if you double click it the audio options for the amp come up. The I'm not 100% sure of the descriptions, but the first comes up with 3 options - mono option 1, mono option 2 and a stereo option - all of which show ther M Audio Ozone next the them... so I select the first mono option. (Actually, should there be 2 midi options available when I only have 1 system?) Then directly below this, there is the option to turn on monitoring. I set this to "on (with feedback protection - or something to that effect). Then below this is the recording level slider which is all the way to the left or at 0. This is where the problem lies I think as this slider is greyed out and cannot be moved! This means that the recording level is at 0 which means that garageband cannot hear the guitar plugged into the Ozone. Also, the Ozone is not recognising the guita plugged into it... the instrument pitching knob does not light up and there is no indication that the audio interface part is working at all.....It's all driving me nuts!

Do you guys have any idea why this is happening? I haven't tried lugging a mic in yet but I guess the same thing would happen. It looks to me that the audio interface function isn't currently working for some reason. I have tried playing around with the 2 switches on the back of the Ozone, "stereo/momo direct monitoring selector" the "phantom power switch" and the "direct monitor switch!" but they doesn't seem to make a difference.... although I don't really know what they do and if they are meant to be in a certain order.

Could someone help me with this please????? Forgot to mention that I have a new 27" Imac with a 3.06 intel dual core processor, with 1 TB HD and 4GB RAM. The Operating System is a MAC OS X version 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I hope someone can help and I hope I have provided all the correct info here, if you need anything lese please let me know.

I have some friends coming round tomorrow for a jam and would love this to be working for then so would really appreciate it if someone could help ASAP.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Thanks, Rob.