Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
My wife and I have used Microsoft Money for a few years to balance our "checkbook" (I use quotes because we rarely write checks but mostly use debit cards).

It would be nice if there was an app where we could put in purchases and have it keep track and break things down like Money does. But it would need to sync with a server or something because we both have iPhones and would both be entering items using the phones. A web interface would be nice too.

Does such a beast exist? I'm not even sure how to search for one because I don't know if I have the terminology right.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Check out [app]HomeBudget with sync[/app], it might be what you're looking for.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Check out [app]HomeBudget with sync[/app], it might be what you're looking for.

That looks good and the reviews are good, but I was kind of hoping for something that sync'd in a central location and used the iPhone for a sort of mobile interface. I'm a little uneasy having the information stored on the phone and would really really prefer something that would give me a web interface.

srvivr

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Being one who also uses Money (and upset it has been discontinued), I've found the best solution for me is Quicken. It does pretty much everything Money does, it is web-based so you can access your info anytime, anywhere. The app syncs when you open it (but just once a day). Hope that helps.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Being one who also uses Money (and upset it has been discontinued), I've found the best solution for me is Quicken. It does pretty much everything Money does, it is web-based so you can access your info anytime, anywhere. The app syncs when you open it (but just once a day). Hope that helps.

Does Quicken's web-based interface (NOT the iPhone app) allow you reconcile transactions? Mint.com does not and that's a dealbreaker for me. It's the one redeeming feature of Money.

srvivr

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
Unfortunately no. Money was very useful indeed with that. In all honesty, I still use Money for my at-home financial management since Microsoft still supports the software sync with my accounts. I just use the Quicken app to get the account information when I need it on my phone or for adding transactions which is useful. You can also download daily, weekly, or monthly transactions to your computer as a .csv (which I then plan to upload to Money, since only the online portion of the software will not work). Hope this clears things up.

Errk!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Unfortunately no. Money was very useful indeed with that. In all honesty, I still use Money for my at-home financial management since Microsoft still supports the software sync with my accounts. I just use the Quicken app to get the account information when I need it on my phone or for adding transactions which is useful. You can also download daily, weekly, or monthly transactions to your computer as a .csv (which I then plan to upload to Money, since only the online portion of the software will not work). Hope this clears things up.

It does - thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.