PDA

View Full Version : CS3 + 10.6 = 6 second lag when selecting layers

silverserfer
Jan 9, 2010, 04:12 AM
Hello all,

I have 10.6.2 on a MacBook Pro 17" and CS3 Photoshop. When I deselect or select a layer for viewing, there is a 6 second delay and a CPU utilization spike to 100%. During this 6 seconds, nothing else can be done in Photoshop.

My partner's 10.6 MacBook 13" does not have this problem.

Since I now live in Europe, upgrading to CS4 at $997 is not an option for me and I must use 10.6 for work for the Exchange support.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Even better, any ideas towards a resolution?

Worst case, I guess I have to wipe my mac and revert from 10.6.2 to 10.6).

Best regards.

tsd
Jan 12, 2010, 01:36 PM
First, delete Photoshop's preferences file. It's not a typical OS X preferences file, so what you do is while Photoshop is starting, press and hold Command-Option-Shift. A window will appear asking if you want to delete Photoshop's preference file. Click Yes.

You might need to adjust some settings to get things back to the way you like.

If that doesn't work, try the mythical PRAM zap. Good times. Restart your computer, and before the grey screen first comes up—therefore, while the screen is black after shut-down but before it's grey—press and hold Command-Option-R-P until you hear the computer play the startup chime twice. Then let go of the keys. Probably won't do anything, but some people swear by the ol' PRAM zap for every Mac ailment.

If that doesn't work, go to System Preferences > System > Accounts > Login Items. Delete/remove everything that's set to automatically start up when you login to OS X. Then restart your computer.

If that doesn't work, delete the preferences file for whatever the last application you installed is. Open a Finder window and go to Macintosh HD > Library > Preferences and find the .plist file that corresponds to the last application you installed. Drag it to the Trash and Empty Trash. Restart your computer.

If that doesn't work, put your OS X Install Disc into the drive and restart the computer while holding down the "C" key. Once the grey Apple logo appears, let go of the "C" key. The OS X Installer will come up after a while. Choose English as the language, then depending on your version of OS X, make your way to the Utitlities area of the installer. Open up Disk Utility. Choose your volume on the left and select "Repair Disk". Let it run. Then choose "Repair Permissions". When finished, close Disk Utility and restart the computer.

If that doesn't work, go over to giantmike.com and download/install the Maintidget Dashboard Widget. Select all three options and enter your password to run Maintidget. Restart your computer.

If that doesn't work, the only thing I can think of is to uninstall the CS3 suite and reinstall it from scratch. If that then doesn't work, reinstall OS X.