Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

disturbed932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
I've narrowed my choices down to 3. They are:

1.) Altec Lansing/Plantronics Bacbeat 906/903 (4/5 stars - CNET)

2.) Motorola S9-HD (3.5/5 stars - CNET)

3.) Jaybird Freedom 200 (3.5/5 stars - CNET)

I will be buying one of the following to use with an iPhone 3GS. Basically, I want a stereo bluetooth headset with great sound quality with good bass (obviously). I will proably use these to workout in the summer, so I assume sweat will be an issue. I'm less concerned about call quality, but want to know how good these 3 headsets fare in that department as well. Price is not an issue for me, since they're all around ~$100. Oh, and also, I want easy to use music controls on the earpieces. Also, I have a slightly larger head, so is fit an issue with any of the 3? Which of the 3 has the best? Which headset, OVERALL, is the best for performance/quality???

P.S. With regard to the S9-HD, does the iPhone support AVRCP yet for the track switching key on the earpiece? Thanks

Also, late additions to my buying choices are the Plantronics Voyager 855 & the Sony Ericsson HBH-I800 (However I heard you can't control the volume at all with my iPhone??? Has this been fixed?) So which out of the 5 is the best????

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
Although the playback buttons dont work on the S9-HD, the mic does work. I own 2 pairs of these with my mine and my wifes 3GS and they are able to take calls on them. They arent the best headsets, but they work in a pinch when your working out. I have talked while on a treadmill or elliptical before. The music in them though sounds really good and they get very nice range. I can lay the phone down in the living room and walk around the entire house and pickup the music easily. One pair recently had a accident and went through the washing machine with my gym clothes (oops). Unfortunately it didnt make it through that ordeal. I plan on getting another set soon.

TonyStyles84

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2010
I reccomend buying either Sennheiser CX400 or Denon C360 headphones. Both are very good sounding
e.gif

disturbed932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
Thanks for the input on the S-9. Has anyone used any of the 4 other headphones I'm looking at?

swiftaviator

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2010
Same Requiremen

@disturbed932

Hey even I had the exact same requirement for my new iphone 3gs and boiled down to the same three headsets of which have heard to the S9-HD and the altec lansing.

Both have good sound clarity for music, they are light, but have read so many reviews of sweat being a major concern with both the headsets and people have had to change them after a few workouts. That's what is keeping me away from buying them.

Please keep us updated in case you finalize on any.....

gunzmaiet

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
ive been looking around the BT Headset thread on iPTF and it seems that the Jaybirds have a working mic & volume +/- but not track skipping

disturbed932

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 9, 2010
JayBird BlueBuds

@disturbed932

Hey even I had the exact same requirement for my new iphone 3gs and boiled down to the same three headsets of which have heard to the S9-HD and the altec lansing.

Both have good sound clarity for music, they are light, but have read so many reviews of sweat being a major concern with both the headsets and people have had to change them after a few workouts. That's what is keeping me away from buying them.

Please keep us updated in case you finalize on any.....

Alright, I just saw JayBird announced their newest set, the BlueBuds. I really like the minimal 1 inch design and cord behind the neck and it has all the music call volume controls on the right earpiece. Plus, it'ssupposedly got new tech in them for bass-heavy music. Full information here http://www.mobilitysite.com/2010/01/jaybird-announce-new-bluetooth-headset-2/
They retail for $129 and they're shipping in April (supposedly)
I say supposedly because I went to JayBird's site and clicked on where to buy and I clicked on PC Connection as one of their resellers. To my surprise they had the new bluebuds listed as a product saying it's on order and to call 4 availability. I called and they said it's special order and will need 2-3 weeks. So I ordered them yesterday hoping to get them by mid-February I'm hoping. Thanks for everyones input.

gerardl

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2010
Philips SBH9000

I spent weeks looking for a pair of bluetooth headphones I could use with my iphone 3g that would answer / reject calls, control music and have decent sound quality. Philips SHB9000 headphones do all of this and do it prefectly. The only thing they won't do (yet) is rewind or forward music tracks (start / stop and volume works fine). Please note this is because the iphone does not support AVCRP and is not a fault of the headphones (no bluetooth headphones will do this on the iphone until Apple support this).

I previously used a pair of Sennheiser cx300 in-ear headphones which I thought were really good. The shb9000's have a real depth and quality of sound that was missing in the cx300's (and other headphones I've used). I also tested the Sennheiser MM400 bluetooth headphones in the apple store (retailing at £180) and these were nowhere near as good as the SHB9000's (in my opinion).

If you're looking for a pair of headphones use can use without wires with noise cancelling, long battery life, music and call control - buy these!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.