PDA

View Full Version : Viewing 'Proprer' Web Pages Instead of Optimised Pages

bigstu22
Jan 9, 2010, 12:29 PM
Hi there. I would love to know if there is a way I can avoid mobile optimized web pages loading on my iphone instead of their full-blown counterparts. I use ebay a lot and the optimised site (together with the specific app) is frustratingly poor.

Thanks in advance

GFSarah
Jan 9, 2010, 12:48 PM
Most mobile versions of sites like that have the option to toggle to the regular version somewhere near the bottom of the page or in one of the bottom corners. It usually looks something like two words beside each other, like "Mobile | Classic" and Classic will be a link that will take you back to the full-blown site.

As far as making it a default thing to go to the real site instead of the mobile, I really don't know.

Hopefully someone else around here can be more helpful.

bigstu22
Jan 9, 2010, 06:18 PM
Worked perfectly for ebay, Sarah-thanks. I notice some sites don't have that option-I wonder if there is a way around that??

GFSarah
Jan 9, 2010, 06:43 PM
Glad I could help. I would think that most, if not all, of the more common websites would have that option on the page somewhere. It may be better hidden on some than others, but I would think anytime it redirects you to a different version of a page you entered, it would display an option somewhere to go to the site you originally intended/entered.

bigstu22
Jan 10, 2010, 09:06 AM
There are quite a few sites I have found that don't have the 'classic' option. Anybody here got a workaround?

a cat *miaow*
Jan 10, 2010, 09:22 AM
Is there an option somewhere on iphone to switch/spoof the user agent? The website will be serving up a variation based upon which user agent is requesting the site.

Try a search to find out more:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=iphone+switch+user+agent&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Moi un Mouton
Jan 10, 2010, 09:23 AM
If you jailbreak, there is an app called UserAgentFaker which will stop Safari identifying itself as the mobile version and so it will load the desktop sites.

-aggie-
Jan 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
There's no work around for a non-JB iPhone. It sucks when someone knows what's best for us.

bigstu22
Jan 10, 2010, 02:13 PM
JB may be on the cards-thanks guys!