Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Hi everyone. I'm 14 and have developed an interest in photography in the past few years. I felt that it's time that I'd share a few of my photos with the all of you, and that i heard your opinions.

I used a Canon 500D to shoot these, and i used the proper "creative controls", not the creative or full auto modes. I can't quite remember the exact settings which i had, so I wont share those with you.

I would be very grateful if you could spend a few minutes looking over my shots and gave me some pointers or constructive criticism to help me improve. Thanks and here they are...

1. (Click for larger)
4259827149_4d53ef2f45_b.jpg

2. (Click for larger)
4259793343_475b98e0c7_b.jpg

3. (Click for larger)
4260544184_08d22b9a83_b.jpg

4. (Click for larger)
4260626796_2a3b75111a_b.jpg

5. (Click for larger)
4259882463_b8d89c4d47_b.jpg

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
Certanly ok for a 14 y.o , you seem to like the shallow Dept of field Effect... but still the subjects are not very exiting, but keep up the work , when you keep doing what you love then you will become a great photographer

PS: I wish i would have had a 500D when I was 14.... :eek: I had a Canon K70... (anyone remeber ? :eek:

joelypolly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
Bay Area
:)Not a bad start. All the photos are well exposed but as others have pointed out the subject matter is slightly boring. If you are just getting into photography everyday objects are definitely where you should start. However, instead of giving us a normal perspective try something a little different. Try some really low angles or a view that isn't seen everyday.

Walk around and try to imaging capturing a view from a particular angle and think about how you would like to frame it before looking through the viewfinder. I find this really helped me when I first started. Instead of snapping at whatever appeared in my viewfinder I was able to see the picture in my head first before capturing it.

Intel Inside

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Certanly ok for a 14 y.o , you seem to like the shallow Dept of field Effect... but still the subjects are not very exiting, but keep up the work , when you keep doing what you love then you will become a great photographer

PS: I wish i would have had a 500D when I was 14.... :eek: I had a Canon K70... (anyone remeber ? :eek:

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement :) and the camera belongs to my dad, but he lets me use it.

also on flickr when you select "more info" (low right corner) you see the settings you have used :D

Hey, thanks for that, I never knew about that :D

:)Not a bad start. All the photos are well exposed but as others have pointed out the subject matter is slightly boring. If you are just getting into photography everyday objects are definitely where you should start. However, instead of giving us a normal perspective try something a little different. Try some really low angles or a view that isn't seen everyday.

Walk around and try to imaging capturing a view from a particular angle and think about how you would like to frame it before looking through the viewfinder. I find this really helped me when I first started. Instead of snapping at whatever appeared in my viewfinder I was able to see the picture in my head first before capturing it.

Thank you for the advice; I'll try to use it in the future. Also, I've read somewhere already that you should visualize the picture in your head, then position yourself to take it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and pointers so far. i'll take them in, put it into use and i will post a few more photos in time :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.