PDA

View Full Version : iBook g4 hard drive.

philipt42
Jan 9, 2010, 04:43 PM
I have a few questions regarding replacing a hard drive in my iBook g4 933ghz 14".

I have searched around but have been unable to find any definitive answers to these questions.

1. Is there a size limit to what hard drive my iBook can support?
2. If so are there any workarounds?
3. Is it serial ata (sata) or another type of connector?
4. Do I have to use a drive that specifically says it is compatible with my iBook, or will any generic 2.5" notebook hard drive work?

Also...
I have to replace this because I need more room, but also because my computer was getting slower and slower, until it stopped responding altogether, forcing me to shut it down by holding down the power button. In retrospect I probably should have used disk utility to repair permissions, etc at the first sign of trouble, but I didn't. When I tried to boot up after one of the forced restarts I could not get past the gray screen. (no apple logo) I used Diskwarrior, but it could not repair the disk. (or save it. but that's another story) Is there any way I can fix it? None of the keyboard shortcuts like resetting pram, going into safe mode, or holding down the option key at startup have done anything. I guess I mean is there anything that can be done short of buying a whole new hard drive?

If anyone answers this, I really, REALLY appreciate you taking the time to do it!:)

P.S. - I would appriciate

robbieduncan
Jan 9, 2010, 04:45 PM
1. I don't think so
2. N/A
3. I'm pretty sure it's Parallel ATA, not SATA
4. You need a 9mm (not 12.5mm) tall drive. And assuming I'm right about 3 you need PATA not SATA

Edit to add: System Profiler will probably tell you the answer to 3

philipt42
Jan 9, 2010, 06:32 PM
1. I don't think so
2. N/A
3. I'm pretty sure it's Parallel ATA, not SATA
4. You need a 9mm (not 12.5mm) tall drive. And assuming I'm right about 3 you need PATA not SATA

Edit to add: System Profiler will probably tell you the answer to 3

Thank you!

(system Profiler is unavailable, as I can't boot up the machine)

Is 9mm also measured in inches? (just so I have more search keywords)

Edit: does anyone know for sure about the size limit thing? :)

robbieduncan
Jan 10, 2010, 03:08 AM
Sorry, should be 9.5mm not 9mm. What you don't want is 12mm. Whilst either of these could be converted to inches you should not. The platter size is measured in inches (so you want a 2.5" drive) and the height mm (you want a 9mm drive).

So to sum up you most likely need a 2.5" 9mm PATA drive.

4JNA
Jan 10, 2010, 10:11 AM
...you need a 2.5" 9mm PATA drive.

correct for the win!

no size (capacity) limit, anything that is a 2.5 PATA drive no taller than 9.5mm tall will work. pretty sure that 320gb is about the best you'll find nowdays.

i would add that using a 5400rpm drive is the way to go. i've used 7200rpm drives in ibooks before, and found that they got way to hot because of the location and lack of direct cooling. just my two cents.

print out the screw guide from ifixit.com before you start as there are 20 billion screws you need to remove to get the thing apart and swap the drive. :eek:

crazyrog17
Jan 10, 2010, 08:06 PM
The screw guide fits perfectly under an ice cube tray, too. :D

Not too hard if you take your time and look for the cables/clips and things that keep it from coming apart before you use brute force.

philipt42
Jan 11, 2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks all!:)