PDA

View Full Version : Migrating files from iBookG4 to MacBook Pro

janinenycteach
Jan 9, 2010, 09:16 PM
I've just purchased a macbook pro and am trying to migrate my files using migration assistant and a firewire cable. however when I connect the computers, i can't get my ibook to restart when holding down the "t" key. any reason why this might be happening?

optophobia
Jan 9, 2010, 09:18 PM
I've just purchased a macbook pro and am trying to migrate my files using migration assistant and a firewire cable. however when I connect the computers, i can't get my ibook to restart when holding down the "t" key. any reason why this might be happening?

is the power plugged in ?
what happens when you hold down the T + power up ?

Dwalls90
Jan 9, 2010, 09:31 PM
Are they using the same version of OS X? IIRC, earlier versions of OS X actually required one to hold Command + T. If all else fails, on the iBook, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk (Under "System")->Click "Target Disk Mode". This will restart that computer in Target Disk Mode. When done with TDM, just press the power button to restart that computer normally.

joecool99
Jan 9, 2010, 09:31 PM
by default the iPhoto library should be under Pictures. you can browse manually through your original drive and copy the file.

of course you can install fresh Leopard. when you start it from the DVD, instead of going right to install, click Utilities in the top bar - choose disk utility

then erase the drive

janinenycteach
Jan 10, 2010, 06:34 PM
Thanks! This helped. I was able to complete the migration assistant but only a few of my iphoto pictures transferred. Any idea why?

Are they using the same version of OS X? IIRC, earlier versions of OS X actually required one to hold Command + T. If all else fails, on the iBook, go to System Preferences->Startup Disk (Under "System")->Click "Target Disk Mode". This will restart that computer in Target Disk Mode. When done with TDM, just press the power button to restart that computer normally.

Dwalls90
Jan 10, 2010, 09:20 PM
Thanks! This helped. I was able to complete the migration assistant but only a few of my iphoto pictures transferred. Any idea why?

Not sure why. If you still have your iBook, start it in TDM and connect it to your new MBP while you're at your desktop. Then just navigate the iBook drive which should appear on your MBP's desktop. Navigate through the iBook's drive and just manually drag any files that didn't seem to transfer over.