PDA

View Full Version : MIDI troubles with Logic 9, Reason 3, and Boss DR-5 drum machine

agmetal
Jan 10, 2010, 12:43 AM
My bandmate and I want to record some pre-production demos of songs that he originally wrote drum/synth tracks for on a DR-5. In the past, he's usually just recorded the audio output from the DR-5 to a hardware digital multitrack recorder, and then recorded guitars and vocals and such to that. However, since I'm much more computer literate than he is, we've decided to try to take his tracks and record the MIDI data onto my computer so that we can use the softsynths and samplers that I have available on it.

I brought the DR-5 home tonight, and so far have had little trouble getting it to connect to the computer and trigger notes in my sequencers (Logic Pro 9 and Reason 3.0), but I am having an odd problem...

The DR-5 has 4 tracks. One is for drums, and then the other three are for whatever other instruments you want. Each track can be assigned to a separate MIDI channel, so I've done that, and then set up sequencer tracks assigned to those same MIDI channels. The problem arises when I go to record the MIDI data. For some reason, ALL of the DR-5's tracks' data seems to be recording to one sequencer track, which is basically unusable. Additionally, the drum kit on the DR-5 doesn't seem to be in line with the General MIDI standard drum kit, which means that the drum tracks aren't triggering my drum samples correctly.

Can anyone help me?

deej999
Jan 11, 2010, 10:41 AM
In Settings - Recording tick Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording.

what notes are the dr5 outputting to Logic? A transformer can be made to convert the dr5 notes to standard MIDI.

deej