Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
Picked up a 2TB Dual-band to replace my current (working) 500GB original non dual-band version.

the 500 was used mainly for timemachine backups, and now with the 2TB I plan on keeping my TImeMachine back ups and also serve a small music library to my itunes

so my question is this; i want to take the sparsebundle images from the 500 to the 2TB, but i already set up the 2tb with my iTunes music and the name of the drive in the 2tb TC is "Multimedia" which is also the same as my 1tb external (just to make it easier to plug in my external and play music off the external when im not connected to my network), and the original 500 TimeCapsule drive name was Data.
Is there a way to keep my current back ups and make my mac back upto the old sparebundles on the new 2tb timecapsule under the "Multimedia" drive name?

thanks.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
In theory, all you should have to do is copy the .sparsebundles from one drive to the other, then disconnect the old drive. Then, any machines that were set up to back up to the old TC will need to be pointed at the new TC.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2008
thank you.

14met90.png

Okay...well it worked, sort of...I'm just curious though since now it says capacity at 497GB , so it must still be reading the data from the old TimeCapsule? I havent done an update yet, i was just testing to browse through it to make sure everything was intact (it was)

So assuming, once I actually get a new back up going it should say Space capacity: 2TB~
As of now its Available space on the new 2TB is 1.7TB

Space Moose

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2006
Did you ever resolve this problem?

I also went from the 500gb to the 2tb and now that my sparsebundle has hit 500gb (just under actually), my Time Capsule is complaining that it's out of space (there's well over 1tb free on the TC's hard drive.

I've tried using Disk Utility to increase the image size of the sparsebundle, but it had no effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.