Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasdzubin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
I just bought the Apple "Composite AV Cable" so I can use my TV to watch stored videos from my iPod Touch, YouTube, and the NFB app (which supports TV-out) and it works great overall.
However, if I put my iTouch down for a few minutes, then try to grab it, I get a BIG static shock and I'm worried about bricking my iPod.
This happens both when I plug the cable into my VCR composite-in jacks or when I plug the cable into my TV (note: it's a CRT so yes, I know IT generates a static charge on its surface)
Does anyone else have this problem?

I'm not having static problems elsewhere in the house (so it's not a low humidity socks on the carpet problem)

Having the USB-"power bricklett" plugged in or unplugged doesn't make a difference either.
Is there an easy way I can "drain" off the static charge so I don't get zapped and my iPod doesn't get zapped/wiped?

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
That isn't normal. Despite of any warranties being run out, you must still take it to an apple store or call applecare, and I am sure they will not hesitate to help you.

johnnyhow

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
That happens to mine too. But it's a problem with the tv , Which is a Sony LCD it seems that touching the LCD or anything connected can give a shock. Seeing as the ends of the av cable are metal it makes it quite a 'shocking' job trying to connect them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.