PDA

View Full Version : G5 Power PC problem, little dots in screen.

MarcAtmtc
Jan 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hi, First of all hello to everybody, afeter ages of just spying i've finally write my first post!

Sorry if my post have benn answered or talked about before: i tried the search function but nothing was helpfull.

So I've got this old G5 Power PC, 1'8 ghz, 1G Ram memory with an ATI pro radeon 9800 an one day, all of a sudden, this little dots start appearing in the screen drawning this little dot lines that appears where the tittles of the folders are, following the mouse arrow or everytime a quicktime or and application is launched.

I've got a couple of pics,

http://subefotos.com/ver/?0259412aab07730b1fb2a5d33578d825o.png

http://subefotos.com/ver/?695af9b688803014579ece0858e9d270o.png

if anybody got any info or idea about it it would be more than welcome.

Thank you so much!

Edit: i've attached the pics as i'm not sure their are viseable to everybody, again thank you so much!

4JNA
Jan 10, 2010, 01:20 PM
failing or overheating graphics card.

don't know you comfort level with tech, but i'd take the card out of the system (power off, power cord out) and clean out the card's heatsink and/or fan assembly. spin the fan by hand to make sure it spins freely. if it won't, then a failing fan might be causing the problem or be part of the problem.

if you are full on techie, you could remove the heatsink and re-apply some new thermal compound like artic silver 5, or mx-2 or what have you.

worst case, the damage is already done, and you'll need a new card. best of luck.

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 10, 2010, 08:30 PM
Is your graphics card a Mac one or PC flashed one?

But what 4JNA mentioned, I had the same problem with a graphics card, just blow out all the dust in the heatsinks and apply new thermal paste.

MarcAtmtc
Jan 11, 2010, 07:03 AM
Wow, thank you so much for your help, it worked!

I took out the card and cleaned the heatsink severely( using air an a tothpick! ) an finally worked!

I'm going to try to clean all the other components to avoid the noise, but the main thing is done!

Again, thank you so much!

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 11, 2010, 05:19 PM
It's really nice to have an air compressor as you can clean out the entire computer without taking anything apart. It's amazing how much dust is in the bottom(power supply). Plus those little cans are too expensive.