Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

telecarver1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I am taking a Dreamweaver CS3 class on my mac and I'm having problems. The instructor can't answer my questions. Here are links to the page I'm working on and the ccs style sheet. None of the links on the navigation bar are set yet. I'm just trying to get the visual layout of the navigation bar and behaviors working.
http://www.carvedbyramsey.com/indexnav.html
http://www.carvedbyramsey.com/site_styles.css

There should be a button that says WC3 to the right of the Netscape button. It works properly in IE, and Safari but not in Firefox with OS10.4 or OS10.5. In Firefox, the button that says WC3 does not display to the right of the Netscape button, but displays as a mouse over under the home button.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Is there a better way to code the style sheet?

Here are some tests I've done on different operating systems and monitors.

I tested it on Firefox with my mac OS 10.4 on my wide screen monitor. The problem persists.

I had a friend test it in Firefox on her mac OS 10.5 with a wide screen monitor. The problem persists.

I had my daughter test it on her ibook with OS 10.5 with a 12 in screen set at 1024 x 768. The problem persists.

I tested it in Firefox on my mac ibook with OS 10.3 with a 12 in screen set at 1024 x 768. It displays properly.

I had a friend test it on his PC in Firefox at 1024 x 768. It displays properly.

Conclusion: The page will not display properly in Firefox in OS10.4 and 10.5

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
If your teacher couldn't figure it out, you'd be better off with a better teacher, unless they wanted you to figure it out on your own. Helping you learn actually sounds like a good method. I can see the problem and it's pretty simple and straight forward. As for help, download the Firebug addon for Firefox and use it to discover the issue. I was going to provide exact details, but this is for a class so you'll learn more this way.

nuxx

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
Tokyo
I have no way of knowing, but the fix I think angelwatt is eluding to may not explain the differences you're seeing between browsers nor will Firebug help you understand why, in this instance. Compare your navigation bar in Firefox and Safari. Do those font sizes look the same to you?

Both Safari and Firefox have a default font size of 16px. Relative font sizes set with % or em are normally calculated using this default. However, your navigation bar uses a monospace font. Firefox uses a default font size of 16px for monospace fonts whereas Safari uses 13px. You've set the font size of the navigation bar to 95% which Firefox calculates as 15px (16 x .95) and Safari calculates as 12px (13 x .95). Consequently the width of the navigation bar in Firefox is too small to accommodate the text whereas Safari has no problem. I'll leave the solution to you. :)

zlinuk

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2008
UK
There is a more basic mistake in the code, which is probably the one that angelwatt was refering to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.