Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
At the moment the MobileMe status page indicates there were some problems with Back to My Mac but everything’s working fine... Except it’s not for me! I’ve got a “red status light” in the “Back to My Mac” tab in the MobileMe preference pane. I’ve stopped and started it again, signed out and back in to MobileMe, and rebooted my router (an Airport Extreme dual-band model) but nothing seems to fix it. It claims that a “firewall or router may be preventing access” (I’ve got no firewall and haven’t changed any settings on the AEBS recently) or that the “MobileMe server is temporarily unavailable” (which it isn’t according to Apple). There are no obvious messages in the Console that’d help me diagnose further.

Anyone have some insights for me? Something I haven’t tried yet?

EDIT: I hadn’t tried rebooting my computer in full. Now it seems to be up and running perfectly. Mods, feel free to trash.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Back to My Mac is certainly one of the most troublesome MobileMe features.

Was it working ok before and now stopped working?

Do you have port mapping enabled on your router? As stupid as it may sound, have you repaired permissions?

You've turned BTMM off on ALL computers, rebooted, and then turned them on one by one (starting with your desktop) and still get the problem? If so, then I think an online chat with MobileMe support will be needed.

While some people say "it just works" regarding Mac computers, I find the best way to describe MobileMe and Back to My Mac is "it just works, sometimes."

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
A reboot of the affected machine (my laptop) cleared it up. BtMM was working from the AEBS itself (for the AirDisk) at the time, and before the problem was working from my laptop fine. I have some port mappings set up on the router, but just a couple specific ones. Besides, the whole point of BtMM and the AEBS is that NAT-PNP takes care of port forwarding for you.

In any event, seems to be fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.