PDA

View Full Version : G5 Sleep Problems

splitpea
Jan 10, 2010, 02:46 PM
In the past month, my usually trusty G5 has taken up a bad habit of refusing to sleep properly. About one time in twenty, it will shut down the displays but not (as far as I can tell) anything else (fans still spinning, pulsating light won't come on). And it will refuse to wake up: I'll be forced to shut it down by holding the power button.

I can't reproduce this reliably, so it's a little difficult to troubleshoot, naturally. Any hints of things I should look at or try doing?

Current peripherals are: Cinema display; Dell monitor; Logitech RF wireless keyboard / mouse; FW400 hard drive; USB2 hard drive; Logitech 2.1 speaker system; sometimes iPod mini.

(I don't think it's the iPod. It used to sometimes wake itself back up immediately after sleeping with the iPod plugged in, but this new problem has happened both with and without the iPod attached.)

OrangeSVTguy
Jan 10, 2010, 08:22 PM
Try disconnecting the ACD firewire cable. The built in hub has been known to have sleep problems.

splitpea
Jan 11, 2010, 07:15 AM
Thanks. That cable was already disconnected.

quantum003
Jan 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
If it's a single processor model, search for the G5 single processor firmware update that fixes the sleep problems. I know there is one, just installed it the other day.

splitpea
Jan 11, 2010, 09:59 AM
It's a dual 2.0 -- I think the Spring 2005 model.

quantum003
Jan 11, 2010, 10:01 AM
OK. Try this one then. (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21887&page=3)

quantum003
Jan 11, 2010, 10:02 AM
My bad. That one's for 1.8Ghz models. Here's a few more. (http://download.wareseeker.com/power-mac-g5-firmware-update/)

splitpea
Jan 11, 2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks -- firmware updates seem like a good idea, but it looks like everything out there was meant for the single-processor units and was released well before my computer was even made (I appear to be using firmware version 5.2.4).

pvmacguy
Jan 11, 2010, 10:30 AM
My dad's G5 2.0 dual is also doing the same thing. I have it set to sleep after 30 min. of inactivity but alas it never does. Nothing plugged in out of the ordinary either. :confused:

splitpea
Jan 11, 2010, 10:38 AM
My dad's G5 2.0 dual is also doing the same thing. I have it set to sleep after 30 min. of inactivity but alas it never does. Nothing plugged in out of the ordinary either. :confused:

Is it also refusing to wake properly? And how long has it been doing this?