Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgalgs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
I edited some DV video clips (all 4:3 aspect ratio) using Final Cut Express. I exported them as QuickTime movies and they all show in Finder that they have 720x480 dimensions and they play in QuickTime Player normally (i.e. not squatty). However when I put them in an iDVD project they always come out "squatty", the aspect ratio is being distorted. When I try to preview it iDVD is always comes up as "widescreen preview". Is there any way to force iDVD to use the aspect ratio of the source material or should I use a different program?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Have you looked into iDVD's preferences for any 4:, 16:9 or widescreen aspect ratio settings that need to be (un-) checked?

I currently don't have iDVD on any of my Macs, so I can't really give it a try.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
I wish I could help you but the memories are fading... I had exactly the same problem a few months ago. I was importing some 4:3 material from DVDs and (I think) using MPEG Streamclip to convert to DV, throwing it in FCP, doing a few trims and stuff and then exporting the sequence and putting it into iDVD. One movie came out 16:9, the other was 4:3. Both were perfect in QT.

Check your sequence settings in FCE. Try exporting as a self contained mov from FCE and then opening THAT in MPEG Streamclip and exporting as 4:3.

It was a PITA for me and I seem to recall a dialogue box popping up in FCP when importing the footage that may have had something to say about sequence settings...

mgalgs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I'll give that a try and see what happens...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.