Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I've been playing around with a few different content management systems, and I've found that each sort of does what I would like it to. The best two that I have found so far are Mambo and Drupal. What I'm really looking for...

1. Clean xhtml and CSS layout
2. Clean URLs
3. Intuitive admin UI
4. Easy template/module/component creation

Drupal fits the first 2 perfectly, Mambo fits 3 very well, neither fit 4 very well... What have the rest of you experienced?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I've also been hunting for a satisfactory CMS, with similar requirements. In my case, I care less about the ability to create modules (or having a pile of add-ons, particularly since there are often far better stand-alone options for the generic forum/gallery/etc plug ins), and more about the ability to create a site structure the way I want and the ability to define an arbitrary set of datatypes based on the particular page template.

That is, most CMS systems seem geared toward blog/news sites, while I want something that'll better handle a content-oriented site--organized sub-categories, each with a number of pages containing an organized data structure.

One I recently ran into is eZ Publish:

http://ez.no/ez_publish/cms

The admin interface and template editing aren't the friendliest I've seen, but it has a huge amount of flexibility in the data templates, and it's a lot easier to use than CMS systems with similar features I've tried. There's a commerical version, but also a GPL one.

Anybody tried this one?

davecuse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
NYC
I've mentioned this in an earlier thread, but I am looking to set up a restaurant menu directory so owners can easily maintain their own. I don't really see an easy way to do this without creating my own custom module. If anyone has ideas I'm all ears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.