Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Okay I'm trying to buy a ring flash and it is very confusing.

My setup is a 1Ds body and I have the 430ex mk2.

First up is the Ray Flash.
http://www.expoimaging.com/...&keywords=Ray_Flash:_The_Ring_Flash_Adapter

Now it says on the website the Ring Flash doesn't interefere with the TTL functions, but the device clearly blocks the AF sensor so this bit I don't understand. Does anybody use this? Then there is also this ring flash:

http://www.ringflash.cz/en_eshop.php. Anybody use this, I've heard about it and while it is really cheap, I can't seem to find the option to buy it.

This is a UK website offering their ring flash
http://www.simplyringflash.com/buyringflash.php

So far these are all for the 580ex flash head which I don't own, I don't fancy buying this flash head unless I REALLY have to. But this is part of my decision making process.

Alternatively, there are these 2 adapters for my 430exmk2:
http://www.linkdelight.com/...Flash-Accessories/View-all-products/Page-2.html

and

http://www.ringflash-adapter.com/...e.tpl&product_id=19&category_id=1

Has anybody used these or heard of the last one because it seems like the best one but their forum is full of adverts which I don't understand the reason for existing. It gives the impression it is a fake website, but of all things to fake, I can only guess as to why? I'm questioning whether a cheaper ring flash is going to do the job (weddings & fashion) and they all seem to block the flash head's AF sensor.
Help is mighty appreciated thanks.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Okay I'm trying to buy a ring flash and it is very confusing.

I got one of these cheap off of eBay a year or so ago. While it works ok for macro, it doesn't stay on my flash well no matter how much I try to tighten it, and has to be supported shooting in any position that's down from level.

I'm looking at other alternatives now- I wouldn't get one of these again, as the cheaper actual ring flashes seem to be relatively reasonable these days and it's just too much of a pain to deal with a bulky item that doesn't fit well in any camera bag I have, falls off constantly and sits too far back to be used with longer lenses.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Now it says on the website the Ring Flash doesn't interefere with the TTL functions, but the device clearly blocks the AF sensor so this bit I don't understand. Does anybody use this? Then there is also this ring flash:

I'm questioning whether a cheaper ring flash is going to do the job (weddings & fashion) and they all seem to block the flash head's AF sensor.
Help is mighty appreciated thanks.

Afaik, only the 580II uses any sensor on the flash for TTL. The 430 uses its IR for focusing, but it has nothing to do with TTL.

I can't imagine a reflector ring flash on a 430 is going to produce even remotely suitable results at a distance. Fashion ring flashes are something like 20" in diameter, not 6" and have a ton more power.

You should look into something like the ABR800 if you're serious. It has a ton more power than your 430 (especially since it won't waste half the power reflecting the light around the ring). It is ~400 USD which is not incredibly more expensive than some of the adaptors you are looking at.

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
I'll have a look at the ABR800. I've been looking on Canon's website and I saw the Macro Ring Lite MR 14EX, isn't this something I could use as well?

I haven't played with canon's macro ring. I would suspect that the macro rings will be a lot less powerful and have a different light spread as you want to illuminate everything evenly at 6" as opposed to throwing a ring of light 10'.

EDIT:
As far as power goes, it looks like the MR14 is GN 46 and the ABR800 is ~160. These are not directly comparable due to a different light spread (both are supposedly ~80degrees coverage, but have been tested by different people), but the ABR should have about 2 stops more power.

Half way down this page, someone compares the MR14 to the ABR800.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=122&sort=7&cat=myprod

Important things to keep in mind. ABR800 does not do TTL (I don't find this a huge problem once you get used to manual). ABR800 requires AC power (this could be a deal breaker if portability is important). You can use a vagabond, but then you would be carrying a shoulder bag battery pack and giant flash around and it is a significant pita. The ABR800 is a much larger (and therefore softer) light source than the MR14, as well the ABR can take moon units (basically a 30" round softbox) to really soften things up, the MR14 will not take light modifiers easily.

Good luck.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I've kinda been put off by the ABR800, to use portable its 9 kilo's! I didn't know about the lack of TTL either. I found somebody who might buy my 430 now and I also found the 580 really cheap. I'm most likely prepared to buy the 580 and then one of the ring flash adapters above.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I shoot a lot of macro, and toyed with variations of all of these but eventually ponied up and bought a Canon ring flash. I have not regretted it.

I tried the Canon Twin Lite but it adds a little complexity for the additional flexibility you get (notably the need for diffusers).

I did like the Twin Lite with the MP-E 65mm and a focus rail, but that's one fidgety beast and I only rent that for specific needs.

I'm sure I'll eventually buy the Twin Light, but before then I'll get a flash bracket to hold a Speedlite for adding subtle backlighting for bugs, etc.

YMMVBPN.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
I shoot a lot of macro, and toyed with variations of all of these but eventually ponied up and bought a Canon ring flash. I have not regretted it.

I tried the Canon Twin Lite but it adds a little complexity for the additional flexibility you get (notably the need for diffusers).

I did like the Twin Lite with the MP-E 65mm and a focus rail, but that's one fidgety beast and I only rent that for specific needs.

I'm sure I'll eventually buy the Twin Light, but before then I'll get a flash bracket to hold a Speedlite for adding subtle backlighting for bugs, etc.

YMMVBPN.

I saw that ring flash but its only for Macro really.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.