Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Saladsamurai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Any chance there is a fix for this?

On the OS side, you can set it up so that touching the trackpad with 2 fingers simultaneously acts as a right-click. I cannot fond this option on the Windows XP side. (Yes; I know you can place 2 fingers on the TP and then click the mouse button for a R-click. I don't like it.)

Creative One

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2009
Ontario
I know what you mean, as much as I love the glitter of 7 or vista, xp runs fasst. Mostly because it is almost a decade old.

boshuter

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
You wouldn't have 2 finger right click in 7 either, that only works on the newer Macbooks and Pros with the multi-touch pads, the new touchpad drivers won't even install on a 2006 model. Apple decided that if you haven't bought a new machine in the last couple years that you don't deserve new drivers.

On my late 2006 Macbook running 7 I have basic functionality with the touchpad, even 2 finger scrolling is erratic.

Saladsamurai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
You wouldn't have 2 finger right click in 7 either, that only works on the newer Macbooks and Pros with the multi-touch pads, the new touchpad drivers won't even install on a 2006 model. Apple decided that if you haven't bought a new machine in the last couple years that you don't deserve new drivers.

On my late 2006 Macbook running 7 I have basic functionality with the touchpad, even 2 finger scrolling is erratic.

Yeah; that's what I am running except I switched to XP. I am going back to PC when I graduate. The software I will be using is optimal in Windows. Not really sure why I ever got a Mac. I mean, it's sexy looking and it runs great...but I guess logistically speaking, it was a silly switch :eek: I'm mechanical engineer for Christ's sake.

boshuter

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
Yeah; that's what I am running except I switched to XP. I am going back to PC when I graduate. The software I will be using is optimal in Windows. Not really sure why I ever got a Mac. I mean, it's sexy looking and it runs great...but I guess logistically speaking, it was a silly switch :eek: I'm mechanical engineer for Christ's sake.

I hear that, I didn't switch though, I just ran into a deal and bought this Macbook for $150 because I knew I could always sell it for more than I paid.;)

If it was't for being able to run Windows on it, I'd have sold it long ago... that was the smartest thing I've ever seen Apple do.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I'm mechanical engineer for Christ's sake.

Windows 7 runs great on Macs, just not yours I'm afraid. :confused: :( Plenty of us Mac users/owners are engineers and scientists.

I run plenty of engineering software on my MBP and it is IMHO the best platform for it. MATLAB is better on OS X than Windows and the other stuff I need runs great in Windows 7. I recently ran some benchmarks of some finite element modeling software and my MBP outperformed everything we ran the benchmark on but a recent i7 860 desktop and two recent Mac Pros.

B

Saladsamurai

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Windows 7 runs great on Macs, just not yours I'm afraid. :confused: :( Plenty of us Mac users/owners are engineers and scientists.

I run plenty of engineering software on my MBP and it is IMHO the best platform for it. MATLAB is better on OS X than Windows and the other stuff I need runs great in Windows 7. I recently ran some benchmarks of some finite element modeling software and my MBP outperformed everything we ran the benchmark on but a recent i7 860 desktop and two recent Mac Pros.

B
Aw man! Now you are just messing with my head! Now I will never be able to make a decision when it comes time to make a new purchase.

What is it about the late '06 model that makes it 'unsupportable?'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.