PDA

View Full Version : Longer G5 Chip Delay May Hurt Apple Earnings

MacBytes
Aug 17, 2004, 09:07 AM
Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Longer G5 Chip Delay May Hurt Apple Earnings (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20040817100748)
Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

Fender2112
Aug 17, 2004, 10:09 AM
When I spotted this I wondered if Apple is allocating their current supply of CPU's for the antisipated iMac's this month so they can meet the demand for initial orders. This would help explain the delays in PowerMac shipments.

I really thought IBM had their act together. But I guess they don't.:(

stoid
Aug 17, 2004, 10:18 AM
What is this? Has IBM become infected by Motorola?

Peyote
Aug 17, 2004, 11:36 AM
Just seems like speculation to me...

wdlove
Aug 17, 2004, 11:41 AM
We are certainly getting bad news piles on top of bad news. It would not be right for Apple to hold back on G5 orders.

autrefois
Aug 17, 2004, 11:47 AM
If no new iMac is announced at the Paris Expo, do you think people will boo? For many people, when it comes to computers, Apple=iMac. Certainly having no iMac available has already stopped and is going to continue to stop potential switchers from switching.

They should not have stopped production of the iMac G4 so soon. Missing the infamous 3 GHz promise by .5 GHz should have been an indication that there might still be problems with getting any new G5 technology off the ground.

I still have this completely ridiculous and unfounded feeling that this is IBM's payback for the 1984 ad...

Sun Baked
Aug 17, 2004, 11:48 AM
When I spotted this I wondered if Apple is allocating their current supply of CPU's for the antisipated iMac's this month so they can meet the demand for initial orders. This would help explain the delays in PowerMac shipments.

I really thought IBM had their act together. But I guess they don't.:(Apple didn't have to make the switch in the PowerMac to 90nm, unless they were sure of IBM being able to cover the amount used in the PowerMacs.

Compared to the iMac the number of CPUs for the PowerMac 1.8 is going to be small once the new iMac3 hits the street.

Of course, with the constrained supply, Apple sure as heck isn't going to be able to ramp production if demand exceeds their estimates and IBM's ability to deliver.

Might be a case of the stores getting an initial iMac3 shipment and not having their supplies replenished for quite awhile.

nagromme
Aug 17, 2004, 12:39 PM
Wait... so if Apple has a temporary problem getting new G5s, they will also have a temporary problem with sales of those G5s?

Fascinating insight :D