PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Apple Stores and Jaguar Preview

arn
Jul 29, 2002, 07:43 AM
Several readers have noted that Jaguar is presently available for your preview at your local Apple stores. So, if you haven't seen it yet...

Ken Moulton provides a list of upcoming Apple Stores that was provided at opening of the most recent Apple Store at The Grove in Los Angeles:

Bay Street - Emeryville, CA
Colorado Boulevard - Pasadena, CA
Cherry Creek - Denver, CO
Millenia - Orlando, FL
Wellington Green - Wellington, FL
Oakbrook - Oak Brook, IL
Towson Town Center - Towson, MD
Twelve Oaks - Novi, MI
Somerset - Troy, MI
Southdale - Edina, MN
Fashion Show - Las Vegas, NV
Menlo Park - Edison, NJ
The Westchester - White Plains, NY
Knox Street - Highland Park, TX
Houston Galleria - Houston, TX
Mayfair - Wauwatosa, WI

willmore
Jul 29, 2002, 07:53 AM
Apple seems to keep forgetting to include Indianapolis, IN, in the Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing. It's well under way, and I would almost guarantee that it will open before the holiday season. Anyone else here plan on attending the opening? I will be there as a representative of PUMUG (http://mac.purdue.org/). Go Boilers!

al256
Jul 29, 2002, 08:21 AM
The more Apple Stores the better. It's good to see Apple opening more stores for this year and or early next year.

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 29, 2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by arn
Houston Galleria - Houston, TX

It's about TIME Apple put a store in the Houston area. Houston is only one of the largest cities in the nation! I'm glad since Apple stores are going up in Novi, MI, and Wauwatosa, WI, that Apple saw fit to put one IN HOUSTON! At least they chose the best location -- the Galleria shopping center. Very upscale. Very likely to get a lot of sales out of this store.

Anyone know the opening date for this store? I read sometime in Sept on another site but cannot find a specific date.

drastik
Jul 29, 2002, 08:53 AM
Apple puts their stores in upscale areas in whatever city they go to. We don;t have one here in Nashville, (one in Memphis, though), but that is actually a relationahip thing. We have a shop called MacAuthority down here. They are an authorized dealer and repair wcenter and have some desktop techs working there. They tend to get new stuff almost as wuickly as the Apple retailers. Were a retail store to open, I've been told from the store owners mouth, they'll close. Apple has so far been good to them on this score, which they should be, its a good shop, and was all apple retail before the Apple Stores were around.:D

Mr. Anderson
Jul 29, 2002, 09:06 AM
With these new additional stores, what's the total up to now? It seems to me that there are quite a few. I'm surprised that Apple is able to have so many, considering they are more like Interactive Gallerys for Apple Hardware than a place you might actually go and buy a machine.

Although they have recently been having store only incentives for making a purchase - I still think I'll buy my next one online - go the custom route. If they could manage doing custom machines at the store - without paying a premium - it might help sell more machines.

I will be stopping by today to go check out Jaguar.

D

zed
Jul 29, 2002, 09:14 AM
the stores seem to be aimed at making pc users 'switch'. The average pc user is probably accustomed to purchasing their computers in a store such as compusa or circuit city... maybe that has something to do with it.

I went to the apple store in Lenox mall in Atlanta and the amount of head turning as they passed was incredible. What was even more incredible was the amount of people who stood staring at the window displays and then proceeded to enter the store. It was a good sight :)

zimv20
Jul 29, 2002, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight

It's about TIME Apple put a store in the Houston area. Houston is only one of the largest cities in the nation!

i'm in chicago (3rd largest city in US) and *we* don't have one.

closest one is in a nightmare shopping area in a suburb. bleh.

passwordispong
Jul 29, 2002, 09:56 AM
thats funny, I was at the San Diego apple store, and they had an iMac running 10.2

Apple][Forever
Jul 29, 2002, 09:57 AM
So here in the Chicago area we have a store in the cultural/aesthetic wasteland of Schaumburg, and soon in Oakbrook... they just forgot that city to the east of those towns called Chicago.

C'mon Apple... a River North, Lincoln Park, or North Center Apple Store would do tons of business.

edit:
must... READ... all... posts... didn't see zim's post above before posting. But, yeah.

bousozoku
Jul 29, 2002, 10:10 AM
I'll be extremely happy to have the new store in Orlando. It will finally wake up CompUSA who generally try to avoid stocking much software.

As I was looking at the selection the other day, an announcement was talking about the "hundreds of titles" available in the store for Macintosh. I think I'd have been lucky to find more than 75 and many of those where upgrades to something they never stocked in the first place.

spuncan
Jul 29, 2002, 10:21 AM
I've known bout the novi store for a while but somerset will be a nice location seeing that most suburbanites of detroit go there and only there for shopping. Icetrax is gonna be pissed that he has to drive so long but his fault for living way up north :D :rolleyes: :D jk.

puffmarvin
Jul 29, 2002, 10:23 AM
Jaguar is installed on the two 17" LCD iMacs at the store in Roosevelt Field in Garden City, New York... the entire system is sweet :cool:

awrc
Jul 29, 2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight
I'm glad since Apple stores are going up in Novi, MI, and Wauwatosa, WI, that Apple saw fit to put one IN HOUSTON!

Well, Wauwatosa is a suburb of Milwaukee, and the Milwaukee Metro area does have a population of over 1.5 million (i.e. about the same as Houston proper, although only about 1/3 that of the Houston Metro area), so it's not as if they've stuck an Apple store in some isolated town in the middle of nowhere.

HyperliteG4
Jul 29, 2002, 11:25 AM
Costa Mesa, CA's store has 10.2 (6c98) running on it too :cool:

strider42
Jul 29, 2002, 11:32 AM
Why emeryville. Its close to Berkeley, but no one from Berkeley ever goes there. The really need one nearer the Berkeley Campus and one in the East Bay Area (at one time they looked like they were going to put one in Walnut Creek, which would have been nice). Emeryville? I just don't get it.

Archer
Jul 29, 2002, 11:38 AM
Wohoo,

I kind of feel bad for cities like Chicago, no Apple stores? I'm sure one is coming. Here in the City of Angeles I see we get a Pasadena store, yeah. Smack in Old Town, I think it's the old Gap Store, someone check that out. Thay makes 4 total for Los Angeles, and 1 in Orange County. Yikes, that's like 5 stores a half hour distant from work and home. :D Here's pushing for an Apple store in Santa Monica.

By far Los Angeles has more stores than any other city. Logic would dictate that their are more Mac users in this city than any other. Here's to MacWorld LA, or MWLA.

Elan0204
Jul 29, 2002, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Apple][Forever
So here in the Chicago area we have a store in the cultural/aesthetic wasteland of Schaumburg, and soon in Oakbrook... they just forgot that city to the east of those towns called Chicago.

C'mon Apple... a River North, Lincoln Park, or North Center Apple Store would do tons of business.

First, love the comment on Schaumburg, I totally agree. Second, one of the first Apple stores was supposed to be on Michigan Avenue where the Gap used to be. For whatever reason, Apple has decided to put that store on hold. If you walk by you can find a small permit displayed that says that Apple owns the space and is allowed to do construction, but if you peek in the window you can see that the space is pretty empty. Apple really needs to open this store, there are a lot of people with money to burn in that area.

Kid Red
Jul 29, 2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
I'll be extremely happy to have the new store in Orlando. It will finally wake up CompUSA who generally try to avoid stocking much software.

As I was looking at the selection the other day, an announcement was talking about the "hundreds of titles" available in the store for Macintosh. I think I'd have been lucky to find more than 75 and many of those where upgrades to something they never stocked in the first place.

I'll probably see you there sometime, I can't wait either. nice looking mall as well.

Moonlight
Jul 29, 2002, 12:13 PM
I went to see the new apple store at the grove in LA this weekend. WOW, it was a beautiful store! The outside looks almost like a huge titanium powerbook with a huge frosted white glass apple logo in the middle...very nice, and the store was PACKED with people!! I have never seen so many people in an apple store. The Grove was a perfect place to put one too...

gregorb
Jul 29, 2002, 12:27 PM
Are there any plans to open an Apple Store in Toronto? There's a HUGE user group here..

Greg
Toronto

Over Achiever
Jul 29, 2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by arn
Southdale - Edina, MN

Hmmm, so now we have two stores on the south side of the Twin Cities? C'mon, I'd rather see one in Rosedale, Brookdale, or even open one in Maple Grove! Why southdale? Thats not far from the Mega Mall, and there are apple users in the north metro!

I guess LA is lucky, and Chicago got the shaft. hehe

Just a little rant ^_^

-----
Newbie be me, stupid is he,
.Mac's not free, three posts for me!

Dumbest signature ever on MacRumors :)

bunge
Jul 29, 2002, 12:38 PM
It's being developed on Michigan Ave., near the Compusa. It should be done by Christmas.

Soma_Addict
Jul 29, 2002, 12:40 PM
i think people are forgetting one important spot. San Francisco still doesnt have a apple store. LA has 5, but one of the places of a major macworld doesnt have any. their are upscale shopping areas galore, but no apple store even announced yet.

PixelBoy
Jul 29, 2002, 12:44 PM
The jerk who was whining about no Chicago store gets no sypathy from me. At least he can go to the 'burbs and get to an Apple store. We up here in the Northwest have no such option. There is no Apple store in all of Washington, Idaho, or Oregon (or Montana, or Alaska). Why Apple keeps putting more stores in California when they haven't even put one store in the Northwest is beyond me. Its making me very angry!!! Start with a store in Seattle, then work your way on to Portland and Spokane. I hope Apple isn't snubbing us just because Micro$haft is in Redmond, because there are plenty of Mac users up here, and plenty of ripe Switch bodies to be had.... There are many very good high-class places they could put stores in Seattle alone.

Apple!! Wake up and smell the Starbucks!! (Tully's is actually better, but that's not important right now).

Over Achiever
Jul 29, 2002, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Soma_Addict
i think people are forgetting one important spot. San Francisco still doesnt have a apple store. LA has 5, but one of the places of a major macworld doesnt have any. their are upscale shopping areas galore, but no apple store even announced yet.

maybe they'll open one next january, to coincide with MWSF, kinda like MWNY. prob won't happen, but just a thought. That kinda stinks though...i'm applying to UC-San Fran med school...ahhh! no apple store!...not that it'd matter... :p

-----
newbie be me, stupid is he,
wait...dot mac not free?:confused:
no way!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Another stupid sig. from just another over achiever...

slaboda
Jul 29, 2002, 12:50 PM

edit:
must... READ... all... posts... didn't see zim's post above before posting. But, yeah.

No ****! I can't believe they hit up the trashy western suburbs before opening the Michigan Ave store. And what about the North Shore? It seems like a much better retail location than Schaumberg. Anyway, rest assured that there is a Michigan Ave store in the works. Apple leased the old Gap building, across the street from the Virgin megastore. The lease is posted in the window. Perhaps it will be another flagship store, which is why it's taking so damn long. It is a huge space.

MattB
Jul 29, 2002, 12:53 PM
Apple has two stores in S. Orange County, CA (Fashion Island & South Coast Plaza) and several near LA (The Grove & Glendale Galleria)...Apple, how about a store in between all those...The Brea Mall or the Block at Orange would be perfect...They serve more than five communities!!!

Think about it

Over Achiever
Jul 29, 2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by PixelBoy
We up here in the Northwest have no such option. There is no Apple store in all of Washington, Idaho, or Oregon (or Montana, or Alaska). Why Apple keeps putting more stores in California when they haven't even put one store in the Northwest is beyond me. Its making me very angry!!! Start with a store in Seattle, then work your way on to Portland and Spokane. I hope Apple isn't snubbing us just because Micro$haft is in Redmond, because there are plenty of Mac users up here, and plenty of ripe Switch bodies to be had.... There are many very good high-class places they could put stores in Seattle alone.

I like the sound of a store in seattle...what, ya'll have no apple stores in the northwest? And us minnesotans get two? Apple does have a funny policy. :D

Are there any big regions w/o an apple store? I'm curious.

Apple!! Wake up and smell the Starbucks!! (Tully's is actually better, but that's not important right now).

Never heard of Tullys? Are they that good?

-----
Newbie be me...ok you've read my sig. by now, heres a new one.

"It not getting what you want, its wanting what you got..."

adelaney
Jul 29, 2002, 01:01 PM
I was getting mad just reading down this thread. I'm in Portland and this summer for a week and a half I was in Chicago. I felt like I was in heaven being in the very same state as an Apple Store. Besides which, there are some vague rumors that a flagship store will eventually open in Chicago. How about a nice Apple Stand? Just a wooden crate on a street corner with a genius behind it in Seattle? Boise? Portland? Something. Besides which the Redmond thing is a plus not a minus. Just because you work for Microsoft doesn't mean you don't use Macintosh. Geeks like shiny things and Apple Stores have plenty, besides the mini Silicon Valley that has grown up because of the Evil Campus.

Throw us a fricken bone here Apple.

KenM
Jul 29, 2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by willmore
Apple seems to keep forgetting to include Indianapolis, IN, in the Fashion Mall at Keystone at the Crossing.

All the stores listed are scheduled for a 'Fall 2002' opening. Theses stores bring the total to 48. I'm sure there are other stores under construction that won't be completed in this time frame.

My thoughts on the Chicago store is that they decided to make it a 'Flagship Store' for which the had no plans for yet. Just a thought.

Ken

8thDegreeSavage
Jul 29, 2002, 01:21 PM
Yeah a Apple Store in Toronto would be great, lots of users here, and its a world class city.

Apple][Forever
Jul 29, 2002, 02:34 PM
Elan-

thanks for the info! I'm not usually down there due to high $$$ for everything but I'd make the trip if they opened up.

Originally posted by Elan0204

First, love the comment on Schaumburg, I totally agree. Second, one of the first Apple stores was supposed to be on Michigan Avenue where the Gap used to be. For whatever reason, Apple has decided to put that store on hold. If you walk by you can find a small permit displayed that says that Apple owns the space and is allowed to do construction, but if you peek in the window you can see that the space is pretty empty. Apple really needs to open this store, there are a lot of people with money to burn in that area.

Apple][Forever
Jul 29, 2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by PixelBoy
The jerk who was whining about no Chicago store gets no sypathy from me.

Well, you get no sympathy from me, since Starbucks has destroyed most of the good independent coffee shops 'round here. :)

lordsinforge
Jul 29, 2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by awrc

Well, Wauwatosa is a suburb of Milwaukee, and the Milwaukee Metro area does have a population of over 1.5 million (i.e. about the same as Houston proper, although only about 1/3 that of the Houston Metro area), so it's not as if they've stuck an Apple store in some isolated town in the middle of nowhere.

While we are on this vein I will mention that the detroit metro area has a large number of people in it and I'll add the fact that about a half an hour from novi is Ann Arbor home of the University of Michigan , which has always had a very good relationship with apple (Like student developers galore) so it will be nice for the students to hit the apple store when they go to the mall (Malls in A^2 suck royally, so you got to go to Novi or Troy) Also there is a lot of money in the areas around Troy so both of these stores are wise moves for Apple. Atleast from my point of view.

LS

railthinner
Jul 29, 2002, 02:43 PM
I'm another Chicagoan who made the trip out to suburban hell to visit the Apple store and I return with only noteworthy observation. "when building a retail store in a mall do not move in above a McDonald's" The Apple store in schaumburg(er) smells like fast food. It's awful. horrible. for those of you who think we're whining about not having the store in the city proper I assure you might as well be in Portland if you live IN Chicago. I'll never visit that shop again, and will be waiting for a real location, or stick with mail order, which is actually more likely considering in the Apple store everything is over-priced. Why is Reason 2.0 $280 nearly everywhere else and $400 in the Apple store?
just one example.

Apple][Forever
Jul 29, 2002, 02:44 PM
Elan-

thanks for the info! I'm not usually down there due to high $$$ for everything but I'd make the trip if they opened up.

Originally posted by Elan0204

bousozoku
Jul 29, 2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by HyperliteG4
Costa Mesa, CA's store has 10.2 (6c98) running on it too :cool:

Hey, I knew that Jaguar was amazing, but having a store run on it--that's incredible!:D

Apple][Forever
Jul 29, 2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku

Hey, I knew that Jaguar was amazing, but having a store run on it--that's incredible!:D

Heh. Some guy put linux on a cash register (http://www.27.org/linuxregister/) though so I guess anything's possible.

I haven't been to the Schaumburg store but it doesn't sound very appetizing. :)

For those who feel like we're bitching for no good reason about no chicago store--there's basically no public transportation (other than one hour on a train and an hour on a half on 2 buses) to get from rich, computer-buying areas of chicago proper to schaumburg. No one's going to do that. And, a lot of people in those areas don't own a car, since you can take a bus or the el pretty much wherever you need to go. (Except the Apple Store.)

BTW, I drove to Portland last year from Chicago--a real nice city. I wish there was a giant Powell's Books here. There is a Powell's books here but I don't know if it's the same. It's one-third the size of the one there tho.

P.S. Didn't Steve Jobs drop out of Reed College in Portland? Maybe he some enmity towards his alma mater or something :)

chicagosjg2001
Jul 29, 2002, 03:22 PM

Schaumburg is a sprawlish dump.
I live used to live near oakbrook, so that beats going to MicroCenter big time.

There should be Apple Stores in Lincoln Park, Evanston (North Shore), and somewhere south.

Schaumburg? Kill me now!

Quark
Jul 29, 2002, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight

It's about TIME Apple put a store in the Houston area. Houston is only one of the largest cities in the nation!

Ditto!!!:D

I can't take the pressure! Don't know when it will open, probably around October.

Quark

LimeiBook86
Jul 29, 2002, 05:12 PM
I like the one opening in Edison, New Jersey, HEE HEE!:D

goldmember
Jul 29, 2002, 06:21 PM
How about a nice Apple Stand? Just a wooden crate on a street corner with a genius behind it in Seattle? Boise? Portland? Something.

That is sooo funny....lol

I'm from Vancouver, Washington, about 5 minutes north of Portland. I actually spoke to a couple of Apple employees that work in Tigard and Jantzen Beach, Oregon, and they both told me that Apple is "looking for a place to build a store" here in P-town.

It drives me nuts, but they WILL build one here. Who knows, they might even reward our patience with a Portland/Seattle Superstore! ;)

bird
Jul 29, 2002, 06:24 PM
It's true that there are no Apple Stores in the Greater Northwest, and that it's also a damn shame. But I wonder if it has to do with the "The Computer Store" chain -- that is, it's an established base for Apple hardware and mac software in the NW, and as another poster suggested for another region, maybe Apple is giving these people a break. Or, more likely, is relying on them to "hold the fort" on retail mac sales in the Northwest until Apple sets up its own retail outlets. This way, Apple can concentrate on other locales (apparently this means "LA").

"The Computer Store", while a decent store, is no match for a real Apple Store, though. By the time I move back to the NW, though, there'll probably be at least one Store somewhere nearby. Meanwhile, I'll content myself with the one in Lost Wages. Anyone know where one can find out more specific opening dates for these stores -- Sin City's in particular?

jaykk
Jul 29, 2002, 07:52 PM
Happy to see a second store in Weschester, NY(6th in NY). the Westchester Mall is the perfect location for Apple.. So i have 3 stores in 10-15 miles radius..The Palisades,NY , Tices Corner NJ and the Westchester. Cool. Then there is a flagship store in Big Apple..

Rajj
Jul 29, 2002, 10:02 PM
Las Vegas-- All I can say, is about time!!

marcsiry
Jul 29, 2002, 10:03 PM
LA may seem to have a lot of Apple stores, but that's because it's a large city, area-wise.

Both the Northridge and Glendale stores are 20+ miles away from my Century City apartment... you can fit three entire San Franciscos in that space! And, needless to say, there is absolutely zero public transport in a land where Cars Rule (but motorcyles roll! (http://labiker.com) ).

Now, the Grove is a much more acceptable 4.4 miles away... and it's far more spectacular than any of the outlying stores.

My buddy is of the opinion that the brushed metal exterior of the Grove store is a foreshadow of the coming cases for the new Towers. Go TiMac!

imacguy
Jul 29, 2002, 10:20 PM
I will second the comments about no apple store in the northwest. It is so annoying seeing store after store get announced and not one in the northwest! While some people are bitching about the apple stores being on the wrong side of town or something, at least they are in the same state!

Seattle and Portland are two of the biggest cities in the country and neither have an Apple store. The I live in southern washington, and the closest Apple store to me is in California!

There is nothing in Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Montana, Utah, or northern Nevada (just announced Las Vegas). I'm not going to drive more than 500 miles to check out a store, that's ridiculous.

wes

Soma_Addict
Jul 29, 2002, 10:25 PM
my point is that apple has a very large following in SF, so much so that they hold one of their major events(MacWorld) each year in SF and yet they still have not opened a store within the city. Sure there is one down in palo alto and one opening in emeryville but those are not too accessible from the city, not by far.

an apple store would do very well within the city, but still there has not even been mention of one. that is very strange.

the only reason i can see for this is that they dont want to make the apple retailers in the area upset. although stores like MacAdam has been a loyal retailer for a very long time they still cannot even compare to the draw of an apple store.

i did notice that when the apple stores were first mentioned CompUSA, located in downtown SF, started trying to sell more macs. they even devote some major window space to mac products, which hadnt been done before. but their software selection and mac sales people hardly do the platform justice.

SF doesnt need 5 apple stores like LA does, but one isnt too much to ask.

TEG
Jul 30, 2002, 12:22 AM
For those who Live in the Northwest (And Even Those Who don't)

1 Starbucks makes the worst Coffee ever. SBC (Seattle's Best Coffee) and Tullys are far superior.

2 From talking with an Apple Rep in The area, An Apple Store is Planned for the Alderwood mall (In Lynnwood), once the Expansion is completed next year. If you know the area well, that is where Micro Computers was, just accross the Parkway, next to International Jewelers, they have moved north one exit to a smaller Retail Space, but a bigger support space, to hopefully compete with an Apple Store.

3 Another Store is Planned for either Westlake Center or the area up near Gameworks, by the Convention Center downtown

4 And Finally another store is slated for the South Center Mall by the end of '03

Store Ideas have been brought up about a store at Bellisfair Mall (In Bellingham), one in Spokane, one in Vancouver, WA, and a smaller one in Boise (Doubtful)

TEG

beatle888
Jul 30, 2002, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by adelaney
How about a nice Apple Stand? Just a wooden crate on a street corner with a genius behind it in Seattle? Boise? Portland? Something.

Throw us a fricken bone here Apple.

yea i agree, i dont think it would do any harm
in giving these people a portable so called "Genius Bar".
I agree whole heartedly :(

goldmember
Jul 30, 2002, 12:46 AM
Another Store is Planned for either Westlake Center or the area up near Gameworks, by the Convention Center downtown

Are you still talking about Seattle? Portland also has a Convention Center downtown.

And Finally another store is slated for the South Center Mall by the end of '03

Umm...where is this?

Store Ideas have been brought up about a store at Bellisfair Mall (In Bellingham), one in Spokane, one in Vancouver, WA, and a smaller one in Boise (Doubtful)

Excuse me, did you just say VANCOUVER?? I'd happily wait a few months if they built an apple store right in my own back yard! Did whoever it was say a Vancouver store was likely, or just an idea?

I really don't know where they could build one in vancouver to be honest, as there are no huge malls, per se, although there are many affluent neighborhoods here that are accompanied by outdoor malls. If their previous stores are any indication, I think a mall in downtown Portland called Pioneer Place would be absolutely perfect; real ritzy, lots of foot traffic, starbucks across the street :D

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 30, 2002, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by railthinner
I'm another Chicagoan who made the trip out to suburban hell to visit the Apple store and I return with only noteworthy observation. "when building a retail store in a mall do not move in above a McDonald's" The Apple store in schaumburg(er) smells like fast food. It's awful. horrible.

I was in the Houston Galleria last night, and noticed where the Apple Store is to be located (they've got the big Apple logo on the outside already). It was above (or somewhat above -- maybe 1-2 stores over -- I don't recall) a Bath and Body Works. That store ought to smell peachy!

onemoof
Jul 30, 2002, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, so now we have two stores on the south side of the Twin Cities? C'mon, I'd rather see one in Rosedale, Brookdale, or even open one in Maple Grove! Why southdale? Thats not far from the Mega Mall, and there are apple users in the north metro!

I was thinking the same thing. Main ST in Maple Grove would be a great place for an Apple Store. It's not upscale, but it's a new and high-traffic area.

ikabushi
Jul 30, 2002, 02:41 PM
Wow. I just happen to live right near Somerset in Troy, MI. Now I can WALK to the Apple store!

ikabushi
http://www.tokyobelow.com

kungfu
Jul 30, 2002, 03:51 PM
arg! i live in vermont! :(

rojazz
Jul 31, 2002, 02:55 AM
woohoo. i've been waiting since the first announcement of the apple stores when i saw a list for jobs and pasadena came up. i live about 2 miles from colorado boulevard.

possible locations are either old town or the paseo...but the whole idea of them being stuck in One Colorado, where the AMC theater is actually sounds like a really good location. however, being on the street might be a bit better to attract attention

oh well, having so many locations in LA is great. i thought glendale was close, and i'm planning to visit the one at the grove in the next few days. all i can say is, woohoo, i have a great chance and finding a summer job next year :D

job
Jul 31, 2002, 03:02 AM
Hey rojazz, I thought I recognized the name from TO. :)

zimv20
Jul 31, 2002, 08:46 AM
hi. i'm a jerk from chicago!

[minor rant]

i'm not saying portland nor seattle don't deserve applestores. sure, they're nice towns. but i'm seeing how many applestores are in/near nyc and LA, (largest and second largest cities in US), and between zero and one in chicago (third largest), and i'm saying i have a right to be a little distracted by it.

no one needs to tell me how big the movie industry is in LA. but chicago does a lot of post work (mostly mac), has a lot of small recording studios (mac), and a decent sized animation industry (mac).

and getting a chicagoan into schaumburg is possibly worse than getting a new yorker into jersey. i always take a shower when i get back.

[/minor rant]

i'd heard some time ago about the applestore going into the old gap place on michigan ave. it'd be very cool if a flagship opens there. just down the street from other flagships: nike, sony, virgin, victoria's secret... am i missing anything?

dubbelhund
Jul 31, 2002, 09:52 AM
hey archer,

do you know for sure the new apple store will be in old town, Pasadena? It could also be at the new mall, Paseo Colorado. In any case it will be within walking distance from my house - whoohooaaaa! does anybody knows when it opens?

MWLA = brilliant idea

Soma_Addict
Jul 31, 2002, 10:19 AM
If apple ever does a MWLA i will be forced to start my own computer company just so i wont ever have to use a mac anymore, without switching over to a pc.

Archer
Jul 31, 2002, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by dubbelhund
hey archer,

do you know for sure the new apple store will be in old town, Pasadena? It could also be at the new mall, Paseo Colorado. In any case it will be within walking distance from my house - whoohooaaaa! does anybody knows when it opens?

MWLA = brilliant idea

Actually I'm not sure. Just and educated guess. It could move into Paseo, but Old town seems to be better spot, especially on the street. Apple loves exposure, and that backlit white Apple at night would be very attractive to all the passerbys on a Friday evening.

To those who have not gone to the Grove yet, it's one sweet store. Don't forget to go down to Farmer's Market, check out the Brazalian BBQ place. Yummie, but a bit pricy. Split a plate with someone.

Potus
Jul 31, 2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by drastik
Apple puts their stores in upscale areas in whatever city they go to. :D

Emeryville, CA is not an upscale area despite it's location in the San Francisco Bay Area. At best, it's high prole.

(It is near a very popular Ikea.)

bensisko
Aug 1, 2002, 12:09 AM
For anybody that cares, the Apple store at the Mayfair location (due open in September), is located right next to a Victoria's Secret. Interesting choice...

I'm very happy about an Apple store at Mayfair. I used to have to go down to Schamburg (a very nice store, IMHO). I made a special two hour trip down there to buy my iBook just because the store is a sight to see in itself. Now that one is coming to the same mall in which a Barns and Noble is located, I may have a new place to spend all of my 'off' hours.

goldmember
Aug 1, 2002, 01:50 AM
must...control...jealous...rage....

LimeiBook86
Aug 1, 2002, 04:03 AM
When I went to the Apple Store I noticed that it was all around a rich people development! Well at least the rich people can buy a lot of computers, Apple will get more money off them (I hope):confused:

zorglub
Aug 1, 2002, 05:48 AM
still waiting apple stores in the major capitals of the old continent

a lot of consumers here....

london, paris, rome, berlin, etc...

booh...:(

z-)